Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,116 of 6,418
Is it playing OK? Looks like its struggling with the format. I will check mine out.

OK I have one DSF album and it plays OK.
No stuttering on time elapsed and showing correct time.
No jumping further into next track.

Thx for replying and testing it out.

Try any of the DSD64 .dsf test files from this website: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html. Take for example the first track, "Magnificat." Website states that the duration of the track is 4:55. However, when I play it on my M0, it shows the length as 6:33, and the playback counter will jump ahead a few seconds every so often. I don't have this problem with playback on other sources (e.g. Audirvana+ on macOS).

I should note that actual playback of .dsf is fine, it's just this odd time scaling. My problem is that the .dsf files I extract from my SACD .iso files have a loud click at the end when playing back on M0 (i use latest tools last updated in 2015 which supposedly fix this problem, and I seem to have this problem only on M0). No problem with .dff files, but I want to see the metadata, so I thought a simple workaround would be to just play the .iso itself. However, because of this DSD timing issue, the M0 will jump to the next track once it hits the end of the actual time of the track according to the .iso cue file, where in reality it's maybe 3/4 of the way through as the playback counter "accelerates" through and skips seconds.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,117 of 6,418
Thx for replying and testing it out.

Try any of the DSD64 .dsf test files from this website: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html. Take for example the first track, "Magnificat." Website states that the duration of the track is 4:55. However, when I play it on my M0, it shows the length as 6:33, and the playback counter will jump ahead a few seconds every so often. I don't have this problem with playback on other sources (e.g. Audirvana+ on macOS).

I should note that actual playback of .dsf is fine, it's just this odd time scaling. My problem is that the .dsf files I extract from my SACD .iso files have a loud click at the end when playing back on M0 (i use latest tools last updated in 2015 which supposedly fix this problem, and I seem to have this problem only on M0). No problem with .dff files, but I want to see the metadata, so I thought a simple workaround would be to just play the .iso itself. However, because of this DSD timing issue, the M0 will jump to the next track once it hits the end of the actual time of the track according to the .iso cue file, where in reality it's maybe 3/4 of the way through as the playback counter "accelerates" through and skips seconds.

Hi, Just checked that file out and all OK. 4.55 and not stepping on the counter.

I think its your SD card maybe? What are you using? I'm Using a Sandisk 400Gb.

Nice track :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #2,118 of 6,418
Hi, Just checked that file out and all OK. 4.55 and not stepping on the counter.

I think its your SD card maybe? What are you using? I'm Using a Sandisk 400Gb.

Nice track :)

Hmm, interesting, thx for this datapoint. I assume you're running fw 2.1 as well?

I have a 128GB Samsung EVO+, formatted in exFAT. I also just tried an old 8GB Sandisk formatted in FAT32, and still got the same thing.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,119 of 6,418
Hmm, interesting, thx for this datapoint. I assume you're running fw 2.1 as well?

I have a 128GB Samsung EVO+, formatted in exFAT. I also just tried an old 8GB Sandisk formatted in FAT32, and still got the same thing.

Yep on 2.1 and I have Exfat so not that. Did you transfer via usb? I transfer all music direct to SD then plug it in.

Thast Samsung card should be OK.

Try formatting your card using this app https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ It's by a consortium of several manufacturers of the cards.

Format it in full mode not quick.

Transfer all your music diectly to the card form PC and see if that makes a difference.

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #2,121 of 6,418

I think it’s a bug, when my DSD output is set to D2P my time is correct. When I have it set to DOP time remaining is off just like yours.

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #2,122 of 6,418
I think this may have something to do with the "DSD Mode" setting. The default setting is D2P, and I had changed it to DOP to make use of my external DSD USB DAC. I switched it back to D2P, and the timing is now proper. In fact, I can switch between the modes as the DSD file is playing, and you can see the duration change dynamically, lol.

Anyway, it appears to be a bug with the DOP implementation, if others see it as well, then here's hoping for a fix in an upcoming fw release.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,125 of 6,418
hi everyone, I am having an issue with my M0, the volume is too high. It's 20 and wheel doesn't work. I set the volume to 5 from settings but it still shows 20 and i can't listen it's literally too high. How can I turn down the volume while listening?

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #2,127 of 6,418
hi everyone, I am having an issue with my M0, the volume is too high. It's 20 and wheel doesn't work. I set the volume to 5 from settings but it still shows 20 and i can't listen it's literally too high. How can I turn down the volume while listening?
Make sure that the volume in the settings is "PO", not "LO" ('phone out rather than line out)

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #2,128 of 6,418
Alright, I think I'm ready to share my impressions on sound quality compared to my previous units, vivo Xplay6 and Hidizs AP100. I was asking myself (actually, all of you, but I'm the only one who answered) whether the M0 was bass-light. I was so inclined to think that it lacked the impact that I actually packed the tiny beast back into the box ready to sell. But after I switched back to the Xplay6 and listened to it for a day, I realized I didn't like its sound anymore.

I had to do one more round of comparison to be finally convinced that the impression came from a different frequency response of the M0 that consisted in not placing emphasis on the mid-bass, which resulted in less persistence or sustain in that area, where three out of four strings of the regular bass-guitar operate. I mean, if you listen to the notes, they're there, but they fade quicker, no longer buzzing into your ears, rather allowing you to appreciate the rest of the music. Apart from that, I noticed in some instances that the lows actually extended deeper down in the M0, creating almost seismic kind of feeling. All of that contributed to the clearest and the most multidimensional listening experience I've had to date. (Disclaimer: the above is true for my pair of ears with Etymotic ER-4XR shoved tightly in; other cases may be different)

I still need some help though. Having purchased an Android 8 device (Huawei Mate 10 Pro in case it matters) to serve as a source of LDAC stream for the M0, I just fail to achieve any sort of smooth hiccup-free playback. The music is constantly breaking up at anything higher than connection-priority stream @330 kbps. One of the symptoms is when I manually set 16 bit, 44.1 kHz in dev. options on my phone, it somehow reverts to 24/96. Another thing is most interruptions happen with screen on when I do something with the phone, while it's almost fine when the screen is off.

I have a gut feeling that the root of the problem may lie with the phone, rather than with the M0, but I'm still desperate, because I can't fix it. Would appreciate any advice.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #2,129 of 6,418
Yay, the titanium version is finally available from a US seller on Amazon. Just purchased! Hopefully the sound quality (with ordinary MP3 files from the HO) won’t disappoint me.

It won’t, right? Riiiight?

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,130 of 6,418
Yay, the titanium version is finally available from a US seller on Amazon. Just purchased! Hopefully the sound quality (with ordinary MP3 files from the HO) won’t disappoint me.

It won’t, right? Riiiight?
(post deleted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back