Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,131 of 6,418
Hmm, Porta-Fi’s review of the M0 made me cancel my order. I think I’ll be opting for the Cayin N3 instead.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,133 of 6,418
Hmm, Porta-Fi’s review of the M0 made me cancel my order. I think I’ll be opting for the Cayin N3 instead.
Take that review with a large bucket of salt. Cleg claims the M1 sounds better than the M0 and "the M0 is not created for the audiophiliac listener"(?). I've never seen anybody else say that. I posted a request several pages back asking if anybody else (other than cleg) preferred the sound of the M1 over M0. Here was the overwhelming response I received:

I suspect cleg has issues with treble peaks on his headphones that simply haven't been revealed by his previous players. (M0's output measures ruler-flat.) The M0's SQ isn't perfect - I can do slightly better with my QP1R or Hugo 2, but 1) the M0 is extremely close, 2) QP1R and H2 are much larger devices, not nearly as portable and 3) they're 10 and 20 times the price, respectively. Cleg also didn't read the instructions on how to operate the M0 before making his video, which gives anybody watching it the impression that the UI is terribly designed and/or horribly defective. (You need to swipe from the center of the screen. Also, the inertial scrolling can be stopped by tapping on the screen during the scroll.) The UI does take some getting used to and a tiny bit of dexterity, but it's really not that difficult to learn.

I don't know if cleg has a hidden agenda or a defective M0. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and leave at this - I totally and completely disagree with cleg on his subjective opinions on the M0. You should try the M0 for yourself. It's awesome. Probably the best audio purchase I've made in my life.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #2,134 of 6,418
How does the M0 sound with ordinary MP3s directly from the headphone out? I’m not going to use its Bluetooth functionalities at all.

Thanks! I may repurchase it later once I gather enough money.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,136 of 6,418
How does the M0 sound with ordinary MP3s directly from the headphone out? I’m not going to use its Bluetooth functionalities at all.

Thanks! I may repurchase it later once I gather enough money.

I’ve only used the Bluetooth once. It sounds really good through a good revealing set of iems or cans. I mean excellent sounding, one of the best daps I’ve heard. It hits all the sweet spots for my preferred sound sig.

Close to neutral but with some weight and warmth - check. Not too digital sounding and having a realistic sounding timbre- check. A good amount of detail and air- check. Great dynamics so it has a punch- check. And nice open neutral evenly spaced mids and great layering- check. And treble that sparkles and shimmers with good extension and detail but not harsh or sibilant- check. Plus each instrument has it’s own space but the sound is still cohesive-great resolution.

Definitely my cup of tea.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2,137 of 6,418
Depending on the encoder and the bit-rate of your mp3s, SQ will range anywhere from awful garbage to fantastically amazing and barely distinguishable from lossless :wink:
That's why I prefer to encode my own using dBpoweramp to 500kpbs ogg vorbis. I have tried and tried and cannot tell the difference between it and fullrez original. I'm a fan as you can tell from my avatar.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,138 of 6,418
Thanks so much! I wonder how it compares to the AP60 II sonically. Your posts are persuading me to get it over the AP60 IIs though. You are all Eves tempting me to eat the dang apple already!

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #2,139 of 6,418
For what it's worth, IMHO I think the M0 is a killer sounding DAP for the 100-odd dollar asking price. The fact that Shanling was able to extract that quality of sound from something so small constantly amazes me. It does have a couple of idiosyncrasies but honestly, what DAP doesn't?

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #2,140 of 6,418
I think the user interface is difficult because the unit is so darn small; but that is also the beauty of the unit, it is so darn small!

The sound quality is way above what one would expect. It beats the HiBy R3 which has so many people all excited here. I think it nearly touches the Cayin N5II which is in the category of audio heresy.

And I think it certainly beats the M1 which is muddier. So I am in the camp of thinking this is the audiophile buy of the year.

I have not listened to the Cayin N3; but I understand it does not match up with the M2S which I do have and the M0 gives the M2S a run for its money. Different sound signatures but both are good.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2,142 of 6,418

I have to say I was not 100% sold on the M0 at first but after a few days of adjusting to the touchscreen after using using hardware buttons on my A17 for 4 years I am softening. The touchscreen is not perfect but most of the time I am just listening to music and not playing with settings so for that it works great. As for sound quality I demoed the A35 and the Cayin N3 and I feel the M0 sounds better than both. Unfortunately I can't demo the A45. The N3 is not perfect either and choosing between clumsy tactile buttons on the N3 vs the M0 touchscreen is a toss up.

Features wise the M0 having LDAC is a must for me and makes the N3 not an option. Bottom line I never trust someone else to make my decisions on the products I buy. Try it yourself and if you don't like it send it back. To cancel your order based one persons opinion makes no sense to me. If I did that every time I read one negative review I would be listening to my smartphone right now. I took my M0 out today for test run and commuting with it is a dream compared to lugging around my old A17/Q1 stack. On the fence about importing an A45 but to try but the M0 is so awesome to carry around vs a bigger DAP so not sure what to do.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #2,143 of 6,418
Anyone can give me a tip on how to fix my problem with m0 not reading cue file. Its the only cue out of whole LP discography. Compared it with other cue files , seems ok, saved as utf-8 doesnt work either. What else i can do ? However it works fine on my pc with aimp player.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #2,144 of 6,418
Alright, I think I'm ready to share my impressions on sound quality compared to my previous units, vivo Xplay6 and Hidizs AP100. I was asking myself (actually, all of you, but I'm the only one who answered) whether the M0 was bass-light. I was so inclined to think that it lacked the impact that I actually packed the tiny beast back into the box ready to sell. But after I switched back to the Xplay6 and listened to it for a day, I realized I didn't like its sound anymore.

I had to do one more round of comparison to be finally convinced that the impression came from a different frequency response of the M0 that consisted in not placing emphasis on the mid-bass, which resulted in less persistence or sustain in that area, where three out of four strings of the regular bass-guitar operate. I mean, if you listen to the notes, they're there, but they fade quicker, no longer buzzing into your ears, rather allowing you to appreciate the rest of the music. Apart from that, I noticed in some instances that the lows actually extended deeper down in the M0, creating almost seismic kind of feeling. All of that contributed to the clearest and the most multidimensional listening experience I've had to date. (Disclaimer: the above is true for my pair of ears with Etymotic ER-4XR shoved tightly in; other cases may be different)

I still need some help though. Having purchased an Android 8 device (Huawei Mate 10 Pro in case it matters) to serve as a source of LDAC stream for the M0, I just fail to achieve any sort of smooth hiccup-free playback. The music is constantly breaking up at anything higher than connection-priority stream @330 kbps. One of the symptoms is when I manually set 16 bit, 44.1 kHz in dev. options on my phone, it somehow reverts to 24/96. Another thing is most interruptions happen with screen on when I do something with the phone, while it's almost fine when the screen is off.

I have a gut feeling that the root of the problem may lie with the phone, rather than with the M0, but I'm still desperate, because I can't fix it. Would appreciate any advice.
Dont be upset on them. Their brains resonate on different levels, than the questions you ask. Therefore they do not and can not communicate with you at all.
I will try to add just a small bit of my own research(on Audio Technica Ldac receiver with Sony phone): signal drops occur more indoors, generally in places where are lots of WiFi networks occupying the range. Quality priority mode works mostly ok outdoors if the unit and phone are not in different pockets with my body in between. If I hold phone and have receiver in pocket, it is ok. If i place phone in the same pocket, it is ok. If i place it in another pocket, interruptions may occur. Lets call it Ldac quality priority pocket law.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back