Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 27, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,561 of 6,418
I just picked one of these up about a week ago along with some Oriveti New Primacys and love the combo. The M0 is so small it even fits in the oriveti case with the phones!

Blown away by the quality for the money.

I'm considering getting an M1 though as I almost find this a little too small with my big fat stubby fingers. Can anyone give me a breakdown of the main differences between the m0 & m1?

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,562 of 6,418
I’m getting mine tomorrow, can anybody point me to where you find the firmware 2.0 link? I searched the thread but I couldn’t find any links.

Thnx
abitdeef let me know your comparison with the R3

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,563 of 6,418
abitdeef let me know your comparison with the R3

Absolutely, will do. I’ll be amazed if it sounds as good as the R3, well considering the price. But hey some people think the MO sounds better than R3 so I’m going to keep an open mind. Only thing I’m worried about is my big paws on that tiny touch screen.

Time will tell. Can’t wait to see just how tiny this thing is- pictures help, but seeing something in person can be quite different.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,564 of 6,418
This needs to get fixed. This is the 4th time this happened to me in only a few days. Firmware is 2.0 and the device just randomly freezes (or is it when I switch earphones?).

I’ve been using this card for many months mounted nonstop on an iMac to use with JRiver MC23. I am 100% sure it has zero problems. I can try re-updating FW2.0 but there are severall ways to trigger a crash on this device... It’s simply unstable

Can you tell me some more info on what leads up to these freezes and crashes? Since as you can see, others doesn't experience such problems.

Also, I would also recommend testing with different SD card. Yours might seems to work fine, but there might be some previous changes done by other devices, that are somehow crashing with system of M0.

Yep. Hope that they have RESTORE mode or software solution..

We have such solution, but not fit for end user. Device in boot loop must be send back to our factory for fix.

So please contact your seller and ask him for replacement unit.

After performing much more experimentation with my BT earbuds that refused to pair with my MO, it is completely obvious that the fault is with the MO, and not with anything else. I have zero problems pairing with my iPhone. So will be sending mine back as I am still within the return window. Not sure if I will purchase another.

You keep saying they paired fine with your iPhone. But did you tried new pairing of them with different devices, other than M0? Previously you said:

The rest of my BT earbuds must connect immediately upon turning on,

Which obviously shows, you didn't get them to pairing mode. So if they are not in pairing mode, it's hardly fault of M0.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 27, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #1,565 of 6,418
Absolutely, will do. I’ll be amazed if it sounds as good as the R3, well considering the price. But hey some people think the MO sounds better than R3 so I’m going to keep an open mind. Only thing I’m worried about is my big paws on that tiny touch screen.

Time will tell. Can’t wait to see just how tiny this thing is- pictures help, but seeing something in person can be quite different.
I have big hands, and the swipe screen is not a problem for me, it's how slippery feeling this little player is to grip, the tendons in my thumbs always hurt (De Quervain's tenosynovitis) which makes it so I can't get a good grip on something this small.
Waiting for the case to show up, hoping that will help with my grip on it.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #1,566 of 6,418
I have big hands, and the swipe screen is not a problem for me, it's how slippery feeling this little player is to grip, the tendons in my thumbs always hurt (De Quervain's tenosynovitis) which makes it so I can't get a good grip on something this small.
Waiting for the case to show up, hoping that will help with my grip on it.

That’s good to hear, I hope the case makes it easier to grip for you. At least it won’t be so slippery.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,567 of 6,418
That’s good to hear, I hope the case makes it easier to grip for you. At least it won’t be so slippery.
The non clip case makes the M0 considerably easier to grip. The leather surface isn't as slick as the M0's metal body and the case sides and seams give purchase. Judt like the seams on a US football or basketball.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #1,568 of 6,418
The non clip case makes the M0 considerably easier to grip. The leather surface isn't as slick as the M0's metal body and the case sides and seams give purchase. Judt like the seams on a US football or basketball.

I didn’t order a case, sounds like maybe I should :frowning2: I was waiting for the clip version.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #1,570 of 6,418
Can you tell me some more info on what leads up to these freezes and crashes? Since as you can see, others doesn't experience such problems.

Also, I would also recommend testing with different SD card. Yours might seems to work fine, but there might be some previous changes done by other devices, that are somehow crashing with system of M0.
I did some testing and unfortunately I can replicate this error and everything points to a software bug.
It happens with FLAC+CUE files only, albums that I ripped into a single file. The M0 can read the CUE and jump tracks, but if I switch the headphones (unplug), it will occasionally freeze. It doesn't happen every time, but if do it often enough, the M0 will break. Using normal FLAC or ALAC files seems to not be a problem, only with CUE sheet. I hope this can be fixed.

But other than that, I have to say I am in love with the M0! Really, I love it! I have it hooked to my iMac for normal access to the microSD card. My JRiver Media Center library is based on the mounted 400 GB card only.
I bought a connection cable to link with the Hugo 2 and and another one for direct connection to my RME ADI-2 DAC.
Bluetooth connection with my iPhone works well too.
But most of the time, I don't even need to pair the M0 with anything because the amp is good enough for my IEMs.

Thank you, Shanling! Great device!

_KE80764 1-Bearbeitet.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #1,571 of 6,418
I've have some anodising coming off on my black M0. I even have it in a case.
I've only taken it out twice.
It's just under the case so not sure how this happened.

I ws wondering if these are painted shells? anybody know

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,572 of 6,418
If this is true, its a bit disappointing. According to their Instagram page, these were made out of a block of aluminium and then spray painted(anodized probably). They have a series of photos showing the manufacturing process. Check them out. Also, can you post a few pictures of your device? Wouldn't want this happening to mine(or any others).

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,573 of 6,418
I did some testing and unfortunately I can replicate this error and everything points to a software bug.
It happens with FLAC+CUE files only, albums that I ripped into a single file. The M0 can read the CUE and jump tracks, but if I switch the headphones (unplug), it will occasionally freeze. It doesn't happen every time, but if do it often enough, the M0 will break. Using normal FLAC or ALAC files seems to not be a problem, only with CUE sheet. I hope this can be fixed.

But other than that, I have to say I am in love with the M0! Really, I love it! I have it hooked to my iMac for normal access to the microSD card. My JRiver Media Center library is based on the mounted 400 GB card only.
I bought a connection cable to link with the Hugo 2 and and another one for direct connection to my RME ADI-2 DAC.
Bluetooth connection with my iPhone works well too.
But most of the time, I don't even need to pair the M0 with anything because the amp is good enough for my IEMs.

Thank you, Shanling! Great device!

Are you playing when you unplug your headphones? If so, does the same freezing happen if you pause before unplugging?

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #1,574 of 6,418
Great, just got it and it barely scrolled and now it’s stuck on now playing. Touchscreen is totally unresponsive. I’ve tried hard and soft reset and nothing. Volume works though

Whoopie!

I inserted a micro sd card and a message flashed and then nothing

**** me, now I have to go through the hassle of sending it back. And I can’t order another one from amazon fulfillment, because they are all gone. They’re just from Shanling and take like 3 weeks to get here.

Any ideas Shanling?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,575 of 6,418
Great, just got it and it barely scrolled and now it’s stuck on now playing. Touchscreen is totally unresponsive. I’ve tried hard and soft reset and nothing. Volume works though

Whoopie!

I inserted a micro sd card and a message flashed and then nothing

**** me, now I have to go through the hassle of sending it back. And I can’t order another one from amazon fulfillment, because they are all gone. They’re just from Shanling and take like 3 weeks to get here.

Any ideas Shanling?
Oh dang. A working volume control isn't much consolation if the touchscreen is stuck. Have you tried rebooting without a microSD card present?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back