Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #4,201 of 6,418
Am I the only one who thinks that 2.3 is worse than 2.2 in SQ ? I discovered this after I had found out that Spotify through LDAC sounded better than MP3 320kbps played in M0 directly, sound was something like harsh. I don't know why... changes in SQ wasn't mentioned in 2.3 update. I downgraded back to 2.2 and everything is like was beforehand. Another problem is that volume balance doesn't work in FLAC files - but only the left channel has this problem, right channel works OK.

@Shanling am I tripping out and v2.2 sound is better to me vs v2.3. I use the Dance EQ.
I went back to v2.2 noticing the sound is much better. Question being did the v2.3 update also update the sound settings?

There was no change in sound with firmware 2.3. Just to be sure, I tested two units of M0 running 2.2 and 2.3, sitting next to each other, playing identical file, with my CIEMs and I can't tell difference.

Will feature like Hiby Link be implemented in Shanling M0? Can Shanling representatives here confirm?

If yes, I would buy the M0 for sure. I am just afraid that it would be hard to scroll up and down to select songs on the M0 itself.

Another question, is the bluetooth receiver mode (LDAC, sound quality preferred setting) in M0 stable? I may sell my FiiO BTR3 too...

Yes, app for remote control of players is in development. Very early beta is already being tested on Chinese market.

No matter what i do I cant get it off this screen Ive reset it, turned off and on, connected to computer, I upgraded to 2.3 fw it worked great for a bit, now i cant get it from this screen

Try to remove card and restart with hole next to card slot.

For a 100 buck this is a very nice device.

One thing I would like to see is improved album artwork scanning ( I had to place a separate album image in each folder even though each music file has artwork embedded)

Also i paired the MO with my car on bluetooth but it won't show the artist or song playing. It would be nice if this feature is added down the road.

Anyway, great job Shanling.

Please send me one of your problematic files. my M0 works fine with my embedded cover arts.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 3, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #4,202 of 6,418
There was no change in sound with firmware 2.3. Just to be sure, I tested two units of M0 running 2.2 and 2.3, sitting next to each other, playing identical file, with my CIEMs and I can't tell difference.

Yes, app for remote control of players is in development. Very early beta is already being tested on Chinese market.

Please send me one of your problematic files. my M0 works fine with my embedded cover arts.

Actually @Shanling embedded artwork works for some file formats but not others. Embedded works for all my flac and mp3 tracks but not my ogg tracks. I had to add cover art to the ogg formatted album folders to get it to show up. Not uncommon for DAP's to have issues with certain file formats and cover art. My Sony A17 had problems with aac tracks and embedded artwork but it was fine with every other format I tried.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #4,203 of 6,418

Good to know! thank you for the confirmation.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #4,206 of 6,418
Any recommendations for about $100 open back headphones that will pair well with the M0? I got a pair of cheap earbuds for the gym to use, but wanted to try something to listen to at home. Thanks.

Philips SHP9500s and Sennheiser HD598se pair very well with the M0. Other options could also include the Grado SR80e if you are into that kinda signature.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #4,207 of 6,418
OT about codecs:

I'm using only Opus on my Zip for over 3 years now. Can't think of one good reason why other manufacturers don't feel quite keen on implementing it. It's fully open-source, unlike AAC, and the only lossy fomat worth keeping. 99% of my portable collection is in 140kbps Opus.

I think you're confusing a standard with the software that can encode it. AAC is an audio encoding standard, the details of which are completely open. As for the software, there are open source AAC encoders, and encoding libraries available and have been for years. This is irrespective of whether or not the code Apple or other manufacturers use in their software for encoding and decoding AAC is open source or not.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #4,209 of 6,418

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #4,210 of 6,418
Why did you sell it? What did you not like? regards

My experience from using FiiO M9 was not good but there was nothing wrong with sound quality because it was my first dap. Actually, it sounded outstanding.

The overall performance was poor. They use low hardware specs for this dap resulting in slow user interface speed. Switching between music player and streaming apps was so annoying. Software was bad too and battery life was not good.

I think FiiO are focusing too much on cost control and market share as they are growing. They release new models frequently without making the current ones perfect. User satisfaction is being ignored.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #4,212 of 6,418
Good to know! thank you for the confirmation.
I couldn't hear a difference either but is it possible that the update changed a setting - a different filter setting for instance would change the sound?

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #4,214 of 6,418
Sorry to interrupt the current topics, but was wondering what anyone can suggest for me.. I am desperate for help... Have a M0 but screen is consistently blank, thought it wasnt
charged, so did that, but again screen was blank.. could see very very vague arrow, so fired up my headphones and sure enough, the song was playing.. so power was ok, but
with blank screen , not too much I can do.... firmware version is 2.2 I believe (no way to check at this time).. Any and all suggestions appreciated, this little device is fantastic otherwise and want to get it back into full usage.. HELP? and thanks for your time

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #4,215 of 6,418
I couldn't hear a difference either but is it possible that the update changed a setting - a different filter setting for instance would change the sound?

Of course such change could be done to alter sound, but none was done with 2.3 firmware.

Honestly, these "firmware changed sound" impressions are sometimes simple mystery. Even on older players, I sometimes got comments like 3.0 on M2s was suddenly 25% better or how 1.4 on M3s changed sound from dark and warm into bright and airy. Yet nothing changed in firmware.
You can find such impressions in almost all DAP threads.

Sorry to interrupt the current topics, but was wondering what anyone can suggest for me.. I am desperate for help... Have a M0 but screen is consistently blank, thought it wasnt
charged, so did that, but again screen was blank.. could see very very vague arrow, so fired up my headphones and sure enough, the song was playing.. so power was ok, but
with blank screen , not too much I can do.... firmware version is 2.2 I believe (no way to check at this time).. Any and all suggestions appreciated, this little device is fantastic otherwise and want to get it back into full usage.. HELP? and thanks for your time

Try in this order:
Reset hole next to card slot
Connect it to computer
Try to turn it on with card removed
Send it back to seller for warranty (maybe it's simply failure of screen, one of the cables connecting it or some chip)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back