Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #4,171 of 6,413
I think they may have tinkered with the SQ with the 2.3 update. Sound is noticeably worse than with 2.2.

@Shanling Please undo the sound revisions!

I haven't done the firmware update yet, guess I will hold off until we hear from @Shanling about changes to sound signature. Assuming the firmware updates are cumulative I might just wait for the big one 3.0 with OS updates and hopefully replaygain. Don't really see much in 2.3 that affects me so no harm waiting it out.

This is another reason I am not a fan of all these firmware updates, all it takes is one firmware update to have issues and it messes with a perfectly good DAP. I can remember with the first generation Fiio DAP's users complaining about firmware updates frequently changing the sound signature and not always for the better. Another reason I returned all my Fiio DAP's.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #4,172 of 6,413
Hey , this is a neat little device. I updated to 2.3 and inserted a 400 gb card. All of my artwork is embedded in each file but most albums are not showing album artwork.

Any suggestions? A rescan of the card? Anything else?

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #4,173 of 6,413
I play Grado SR80's through mine and it sounds great. Tames the high freq's some. Little to no tizz. Sounds dull with warmer phones. I don't mess with the different settings. The all sounded like hell so I never bother with it. Due to the small screen size, navigation is a PITA but I paid $110 for it which makes the M0 a steal.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #4,174 of 6,413
The sound is opening up nicely on my newer M0. Before it was congested as heck. Now, the clarity is finally seeping in. Finally.

Or maybe my ears are just conforming to the sound. Who knows? :o2smile:

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #4,175 of 6,413
Hey , this is a neat little device. I updated to 2.3 and inserted a 400 gb card. All of my artwork is embedded in each file but most albums are not showing album artwork.

Any suggestions? A rescan of the card? Anything else?

You should copy the album artwork into the folder for each album to guarantee it will show up. Make sure it is standard jpeg not progressive. Embedded artwork should work for flac and mp3 tracks as long as it is standard jpeg, at least it does for me. For ogg tracks I had to copy the artwork into the folder

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #4,176 of 6,413
You should copy the album artwork into the folder for each album to guarantee it will show up. Make sure it is standard jpeg not progressive. Embedded artwork should work for flac and mp3 tracks as long as it is standard jpeg, at least it does for me. For ogg tracks I had to copy the artwork into the folder
I have standard jpeg embedded in each file on every album . They are alac files ,mp4 files . It’s weird , some show , some don’t . I’m wondering if it’s an artwork size issue

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #4,178 of 6,413
I have standard jpeg embedded in each file on every album . They are alac files ,mp4 files . It’s weird , some show , some don’t . I’m wondering if it’s an artwork size issue

Can't speak to either format as I don't have any alac or mp4 but some DAP's simply don't like embedded artwork for some file formats. The only thing that seems to work for all formats is to put the album artwork jpg in the album folder and not embed it in each track. All of my artwork is 400 x 400 pixels and 72 dpi standard jpg for my M0 and they all show without issue for all 6000+ of my tracks on my M0.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #4,180 of 6,413
@hornytoad if you use mp3tag, you can add an action to the action menu, which is "Extract Cover Art". That allows you to mass extract the cover art from your tags and save it in each individual folder, at one fell swoop :) .... takes some time for mp3tag to actually read the whole card (you have to point it to the root folder with all the music), but the actual process is quite fast

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #4,181 of 6,413
@hornytoad if you use mp3tag, you can add an action to the action menu, which is "Extract Cover Art". That allows you to mass extract the cover art from your tags and save it in each individual folder, at one fell swoop :) .... takes some time for mp3tag to actually read the whole card (you have to point it to the root folder with all the music), but the actual process is quite fast
Thanks ! I’ll try it

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #4,182 of 6,413
Thanks guys . Placing the jpeg in the album folder will be a gargantuan task .

I don't think you have to unembed the existing artwork, you can leave it embedded and just add the album art to the folder, the M0 just reads the folder artwork and ignores the embedded artwork. My Sony A17 supports embedded artwork and I just left the artwork embedded and added the album art to the album folder, all album art still shows up on my M0. This way I can use the same album art on both devices without having to mess with it.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #4,183 of 6,413
I think @hornytoad 's comment was about the possible complication of manually adding a cover art jpg to each folder of his music collection, not so much because he was worried about having to delete the tag. As @fish1050 said, there's absolutely no need to delete any tags (if a DAP can't get the cover from the tag, means it cannot read it, anyway:)).

And mp3tag can mass work the put-a-jpeg-with-cover-art-in-each-directory task ... just select all songs you want to work on and use an action of type "Export cover to file" (you do need to add that action manually to the Action menu, first - I just added one, and specified that the file should be called "Cover": it ends up with having a "Cover.jpg" file in each directory mp3tag processes. Ofc, you also do need to have your music organized with each album music in a separate directory:)).

Edited to add: here:
cover mp3tag.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #4,185 of 6,413
I currently have a Shangling M0 and I really like it but I'm considering selling it and getting the new fiio m6 since it's slightly bigger and looks to have a better dac. What are y'all's opinions on the Fiio m6 vs the Shanling M0 in terms of sound quality?

Not that it really matters but the dac on the m6 is actually a lesser model than the one in the M0. And I don’t think too many have m6 yet, HBB is the only one I know of and he doesn’t have a M0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back