Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 1, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,186 of 6,418
Not that it really matters but the dac on the m6 is actually a lesser model than the one in the M0. And I don’t think too many have m6 yet, HBB is the only one I know of and he doesn’t have a M0.
Ok I could have sworn I read somewhere the m6 has the better/new one but I'm probably wrong those chip names can get confusing sometimes:) Anyway I'm almost certainly going to stick to my MO for a little while but I'll be interested to read some comparisons just because sometimes I do wish the screen was a little bigger.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4,187 of 6,418
Ok I could have sworn I read somewhere the m6 has the better/new one but I'm probably wrong those chip names can get confusing sometimes:) Anyway I'm almost certainly going to stick to my MO for a little while but I'll be interested to read some comparisons just because sometimes I do wish the screen was a little bigger.

I have my eye on the Fiio also, just because of the bigger screen. I’m sure it will sound fine, and the dac might be newer but the specs are a bit lower.

Anyways the specs are out of the range of human hearing anyways- if you listened loud enough to realize that 118db snr your ears would bleed :wink: so I don’t put too much stock in dac specs. The amp stage and output stage and low pass filters are what shapes the sound signature.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #4,188 of 6,418
Gapless isn't perfect on the m0. There is a slight glitch between tracks and the timing is thrown off slightly but noticeably. My tracks are ripped perfectly gapless by foobar and play fine on my phones and other gapless enabled players. Any chance of a fix?

We are aware of not perfectly working gapless with mp3 files. Reminded software team to fix it finally.

After 2.3 update the usb out is no longer fixed even with vol. lock on. switched back to 2.2.. and usb vol. out is fixed and is not afected by the vol. knob.

My apology, checked with software team and apparently they did changed this due to users of USB-C headphones. But for some reason didn't put it into firmware notes.

Talked with them and for next firmware they will add setting, if volume for USB out should be fixed or controlled.

@Shanling

I have two M0s, one bought months back and a newer one given as a Christmas present to me just recently. The new one is running 2.3 and the older one 2.2 firmware. There are physical differences between the two, the newer having a darker Titanium color than the other and the corners a bit more angular. That's not where the differences end, though. I've noticed the newer one having more muddled sound than the first. I've done a comparison between the two using the same music files and with the same headphones. The newer one has more bass but simultaneously more congested as well.

Is the sonical differences that I'm hearing due to firmware, burn in-related or did you alter the sound signature with newer M0s? The difference is pretty obvious. I must say I like the older revision's sound characteristics a lot more. The newer one sounds considerably more congested as I stated before. Will burn-in help some? :triportsad:

Between runs there might be some slight differences in shapes and coloring(especially since we changed factory location and workers), insides are identical.

Do the digital filters affect the sound at all with headphones directly connected to the 3.5mm jack?

Digital filters affect only sound through 3.5mm jack and only for non-Hires files.

Hey , this is a neat little device. I updated to 2.3 and inserted a 400 gb card. All of my artwork is embedded in each file but most albums are not showing album artwork.

Any suggestions? A rescan of the card? Anything else?

Can you please send me such file to test it?

I currently have a Shangling M0 and I really like it but I'm considering selling it and getting the new fiio m6 since it's slightly bigger and looks to have a better dac. What are y'all's opinions on the Fiio m6 vs the Shanling M0 in terms of sound quality?

SoC in M0 is ES9218P, M6 has ES9018Q2C.
According to ESS website, 9218P is positioned higher in their lineup, uses improved HyperStream II DAC architecture and is newer (CES 2016 vs CES 2015).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 1, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #4,189 of 6,418
Custom firmware for M0 based on v2.3: here
// Better translation, more readable font and optimized graphics/binaries.

Enjoy and Happy New Year.

EDIT: Tagging @XVortex

For letters which have descenders (that go below the baseline) - several pixels worth are not scrolling when track titles scroll.
I went back to the original v2.3 Firmware, and it does not have this issue.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #4,190 of 6,418
@Shanling am I tripping out and v2.2 sound is better to me vs v2.3. I use the Dance EQ.
I went back to v2.2 noticing the sound is much better. Question being did the v2.3 update also update the sound settings?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #4,192 of 6,418
I have an M6 on the way but it will probably take a couple of weeks to get here.

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #4,193 of 6,418
your not the only one saying that apparently...how do you listen with your m0?
3.5mm jack or USB?
Also how to you revert back firmware?!
3.5mm for me.
Revert back by adding v2.2 BIN to microsd card & go to update in settings. Same way you would upgrade.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,194 of 6,418
Just sold my FiiO M9.

Will feature like Hiby Link be implemented in Shanling M0? Can Shanling representatives here confirm?

If yes, I would buy the M0 for sure. I am just afraid that it would be hard to scroll up and down to select songs on the M0 itself.

Another question, is the bluetooth receiver mode (LDAC, sound quality preferred setting) in M0 stable? I may sell my FiiO BTR3 too...

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #4,195 of 6,418
Just sold my FiiO M9.

Will feature like Hiby Link be implemented in Shanling M0? Can Shanling representatives here confirm?

If yes, I would buy the M0 for sure. I am just afraid that it would be hard to scroll up and down to select songs on the M0 itself.

Another question, is the bluetooth receiver mode (LDAC, sound quality preferred setting) in M0 stable? I may sell my FiiO BTR3 too...

Back a few pages, he did confirm that the "Remote Control" app is being tested by some Chinese users, on the M5s model - but that it is not ready for general release yet.

Adding: When I use BT LDAC receive mode at work, from my LG V30, the signal easily reaches 30-ft from my cubicle.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #4,196 of 6,418
am I tripping out and v2.2 sound is better to me vs v2.3. I use the Dance EQ.
I went back to v2.2 noticing the sound is much better. Question being did the v2.3 update also update the sound settings?

I wonder if something else is at play with this. Coincidentally I have two M0's, one with 2.2 and one with 2.3. I did A/B testing using summit fi headphones from the 3.5mm out and couldn't hear any difference between the two. My two M0's were purchased at roughly the same time and I don't use any equalizers in the player. Not saying there isn't any sound difference for your unit(s), just that at least in my setup there is no difference.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #4,197 of 6,418
No matter what i do I cant get it off this screen Ive reset it, turned off and on, connected to computer, I upgraded to 2.3 fw it worked great for a bit, now i cant get it from this screen
20190102_1105511_zpsu1uxfhsq.jpg

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #4,199 of 6,418
Just sold my FiiO M9.

Why did you sell it? What did you not like? regards

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #4,200 of 6,418
For a 100 buck this is a very nice device.

One thing I would like to see is improved album artwork scanning ( I had to place a separate album image in each folder even though each music file has artwork embedded)

Also i paired the MO with my car on bluetooth but it won't show the artist or song playing. It would be nice if this feature is added down the road.

Anyway, great job Shanling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back