Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,911 of 6,413
I agree, it is a bit strange. When I saw it I thought, nah that can't be right, so I double checked with other devices I have around, and they all gave me a flat response as expected. I used REW's generator to save a 24-bit full range White PN track (65536 length) and then played that track from the M0 (or other device)
Did you have any mic compensation curves disabled? If so, something else is wrong here. Can you pm me your white noise test track?

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,912 of 6,413
IMG_20180831_164959747.jpg Anyone else try to pair the M0 with a Cayin C5? I think they compliment each other nicely.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,913 of 6,413
Did you have any mic compensation curves disabled? If so, something else is wrong here. Can you pm me your white noise test track?
Nope, no correction curves are enabled. I've also made a few music recordings in order to compare the sound of the M0 to other DAPs, and you really can hear that slight added brightness. Will pm you the track

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,914 of 6,413
Parametric EQ, tone controls, stereo widening, crossfade, games, crazy customization, pitch and tempo controls, Apps, so much it’s hard to explain. If you go on their site and look at a manual you will see how complex it is.

And the more complex the system, dac/cpu the more they can add and tweak the os.

I prefer to listen to my music as is without manipulation so most of the sound customizations have no interest to me. But if it adds replaygain, external playlist support, and audiobook support then great. But if Shanling can add those features without needing rockbox that would be fine to.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,915 of 6,413
So Sony A50 was revealed after all but have to say I am pretty underwhelmed by what I see. When I saw the first pictures I thought they used the A45 images by mistake. Bring on the firmware updates Shanling, looks like me and my M0 will be together for awhile. In a way I should be happy Sony may have just saved me a few hundred dollars.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #2,917 of 6,413
Anyone else try to pair the M0 with a Cayin C5? I think they compliment each other nicely.

I'll have to try that. I've kept my C5 after all these years. Love that amp.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,918 of 6,413
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or otherwise addressed, but numerous people have mentioned that the M0 has a bright sound. I can confirm this to be true and have taken some frequency response measurements. As we can see from the below graph, the M0 unfortunately does not have a flat response. I don't know if this is something that @Shanling can correct within a firmware update, but if it is possible, then I really hope they do fix it.

I for one bought the M0 for how it sounds, if that got nerfed I would be very unhappy!

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #2,919 of 6,413
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or otherwise addressed, but numerous people have mentioned that the M0 has a bright sound. I can confirm this to be true and have taken some frequency response measurements. As we can see from the below graph, the M0 unfortunately does not have a flat response. I don't know if this is something that @Shanling can correct within a firmware update, but if it is possible, then I really hope they do fix it.

did you check that all filters/eq were disabled? i can't believe this is the unloaded response of unfiltered M0, it looks like a treble boost was enabled.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #2,920 of 6,413
I updated the m0 firmware to 2.1, the update looks just fine but now the m0 stuck at the "Shanling" page. @Shanling, what should I do now?

On the root directory of the microsd now it has these files and directories:
firmware_v0.info
firmware_v0.tar.gz
fsrecovery
recovery-update
update.bin

edit:
- Resetting through the pin doesn't work.
- The m0 can be turn on and off normally through the power switch (hold 3 seconds)
- When switched off, plugin the m0 can bring it on, but nothing get pass the Shanling splash screen.

Is there anything that can be used for emergency force flash?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #2,921 of 6,413
I for one bought the M0 for how it sounds, if that got nerfed I would be very unhappy!

did you check that all filters/eq were disabled? i can't believe this is the unloaded response of unfiltered M0, it looks like a treble boost was enabled.

Yup, double checked that nothing is enabled. I even downgraded the software, did a complete reset, etc...got the same response each time. Super weird.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #2,922 of 6,413
As I said I have a few DAPs (still in use, for one reason ot another: Ibasso DX100, Ibasso DX50, Ibasso DX90, Ibasso DX80, Shozy Alien, Questyle QP1R, Pono Player, Cayin N6, Xduuo X3, Shanling M3s, ZX300a, Shanling M0, and essentially no longer in use: Hifiman HM 801, Hifiman HM 601). I honestly don't feel cheated by Shanling, in their implementation of the M0... quite a few of those others were a lot worse, in actual functionality, at first firmware. I'm happy it's gotten even better, but I really feel like the FW updates were more to enhance functionality and to fix minor bugs than to fix essential things.

Replaygain would be nice to have, I agree (though since my own library is mainly made up by FLACs, I don't think I'd use that much, me). It's hardly essential, and it's generally uncommon, among DAPs (my rockboxed Xduoo does it, and that's about it). As for the touchscreen, the screen is small (and that's a feature :) ), and it works best only if you start from the center. I sometimes have problems myself, tbh, but that's usually because my fingers are thick, and I don't start from the center. When I stop and focus on what I'm doing, I usually nail the right spot:). It would also be nice to have a better battery gauge... not a deal-breaker, for me, but it WOULD be nice, you're right.

Bottom line, my personal experience tells me that I was very happy with the M0 from the get-go, and this tiny gem only got better with successive FWs... that was NOT the case with all of my DAPs :) , and it leaves me with a good general feeling towards Shanling (plus, I really dig the way that the M0 and M3s sound, which wins them additional points with me).

As for comparing Shanling to Sony... well, let's say that Sony is in a different order of magnitude, as companies go :) , so I'd expect them to be able to release products quite a bit nearer to perfection (or as near to that ideal as can be reasonably expected) - and, well, they also DO charge a premium, for that privilege :). But even my ZX300a, which had the most robust, functional and bug-free FW of any of my DAPs from the very beginning, could STILL be improved so that I would like it better :) (it does not do that now playing feature that I'd like and that I mentioned earlier, for one) - so, if you're talking improvements, I agree - saying that the M0 was "incomplete" to the point that it should not have been released, I very much disagree. I understand you feel differently :) , and that's your prerogative. I don't think you're representative of a majority of customers, though :wink: .
Does the m0 sound better than the xduoo x3?

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #2,923 of 6,413
Does the m0 sound better than the xduoo x3?

To my ears, it does (compared to Xduoo X3 first gen), though it may come down to personal preferences, sound-wise. The M0 is on the brighter side, while I would say that the X3 is a bit darker... I pair the X3 with the Dunu DN2000J, and they pair well:) , but I generally prefer the M0 with the majority of my 'phones. The X3 can do Rockbox, which may or may not be a good selling point (if you invest lots of time in learning Rockbox, it's very powerful... if you don't, it can be confusing :) ). From the interface point of view, the M0 is a few light-years ahead, IMHO :) .

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,925 of 6,413
which ADC did you use to read? some input cards might have that bump..

Audiobox USB. If the fault did lie with the ADC, then shouldn't we be seeing the same result for all devices that are tested on it? None of the other players showed this...so it's quite weird. If it's not the M0, then I have no idea what else it could be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back