Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,883 of 6,413
image.jpg
Just got my M0 today. Output power is plentifully available. Overall great tiny player with wide range of functionality though I have to admit I thought it’d be smaller than this.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #2,885 of 6,413
Just got my M0 today. Output power is plentifully available. Overall great tiny player with wide range of functionality though I have to admit I thought it’d be smaller than this.
WHAT?!?! You thought it would be smaller (and with a touch screen)? Barely usable touch screen as it is, especially for people with large hands / fat fingers... :astonished:

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,887 of 6,413
Since I’m a whole album listener I think I should be safe for 10 albums or so. I shall experiment and see. Thanks.

Letting it drain completely I got almost 12 hours with mostly 16 bit flac, ogg and some mp3's. I have to say I think the accuracy improved after the initial full drain and recharge. Still not great but on first full drain got almost 3 hours after low battery message. After full drain and second recharge got closer to 1 hour after low battery message before full drain. I won't be doing another full drain and will wait to see if Shanling can improve accuracy with firmware, will just recharge when low battery appears for now. So I do recommend a full drain to help calibrate the battery. It has been the same with my A17 and on Sony's recommendation let battery drain fully every month or so to keep battery meter calibrated.

I have noticed something interesting after my glitch charging the M0 on my computer. The fast scroll somehow seems slower and doesn't go as long. Before a fast scroll would fly through half the songs on the player before stopping, not nearly so much now. I also find I can maneuver the touchscreen a little more precisely now and it seems to need a firmer hit than before. Maybe there was something off with my unit initially that has been corrected. Either way I am a happier camper now than I was before.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,889 of 6,413
WHAT?!?! You thought it would be smaller (and with a touch screen)? Barely usable touch screen as it is, especially for people with large hands / fat fingers... :astonished:

If it was any smaller you would have to get a child to control it for you. :baby:

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,891 of 6,413
No, this was discussed recently. There is nothing you can set or configure to prevent this.

A screen prompt (touch) asking if you indeed want to turn on/off the unit would be nice, similar to how it is on the iphone. I suggested this before.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,892 of 6,413
Rockbox is lovely software, if you have time to set it up properly and are interested in reading manual with over 100 pages.

Not something really suited for common customer.

But if there is some group interested into adopting Rockbox to M0, I will do my best to help them with it.

Thank you, will try to find out more about it.

Not sure who Fiio contacted.

On our side, we want to make basic audiobook/podcasts app, with key features like bookmarking, remembering positions for each file, controlling the speed of playback.
So any audiobook you have in MP3 from whatever source, or podcast you just downloaded from soundcloud, will work.

If you are using audiobooks from some closed system and with DRM, there the chances are quite limited. These big players keeping their "treasure" safe are not interested into third party apps, especially since it's some unknown device for small market.
For the same reason you will likely never see Spotify support outside of Android DAPs.

Nice post.

Rockbox would be a great alternative to dedicated audiobook support, mainly due to the bookmarking feature.

That said I don't think that wanting m4b support (apples audiobook format) is too much to ask given that android apps have it now as well? Or maybe it is.

Anyway good luck with it and fingers crossed.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #2,893 of 6,413
Audiobooks? What’s next, sliced bread? Geez I like to read, not hear some plebe dictate a story- badly.

I suppose you guys will be telling me we have robot vacuums next lol

One of the funnier things (ok not that funny, but still) I read in an online interview with a narrator was "well I wasn't sure what accent they had so I gave them all fake irish ones. That was working really well until the fake irish actually turned up later in the series so I was a bit stuffed".

Audiobooks have come along way since the days of poorly narrated stuff. Those ones used to do my head in. Nowadays it's more full cast action with music and sound effects.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,894 of 6,413
One of the funnier things (ok not that funny, but still) I read in an online interview with a narrator was "well I wasn't sure what accent they had so I gave them all fake irish ones. That was working really well until the fake irish actually turned up later in the series so I was a bit stuffed".

Audiobooks have come along way since the days of poorly narrated stuff. Those ones used to do my head in. Nowadays it's more full cast action with music and sound effects.

I like the voices in my head too much :wink:

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,895 of 6,413
Nice post.

Rockbox would be a great alternative to dedicated audiobook support, mainly due to the bookmarking feature.

That said I don't think that wanting m4b support (apples audiobook format) is too much to ask given that android apps have it now as well? Or maybe it is.

Anyway good luck with it and fingers crossed.

Rock Box on this little gem would be so cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back