Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 29, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,851 of 6,413
Same here dont use playlist function.

Tends to end up like "Elevator music"
My first little system I had LP's, 45's and 8 track. Still have my Styx Snowblind 8 track. I use playlistsplaylists all the time for teaching classes at the gym and for running and workouts. Looking forward to being able to create them on my phone through their app like Hiby. Much more efficient. And should hopefully hopefully make naming them easy too. The ability to have cueing/play once play mode would have me leave my phone in my bag while teaching, which would be nice.

And my M0 in its Acco Clipped leather case survived a nice 20 mile ride on bumpy shore pavement in Avalon, clipped to a velcro strap across my aerobars. Then transitioned to my shorts for a quick two mile run. Bluetooth through my cheap Aukey headset because my IconX's didn't seem to like playing my Buckcherry tunes (great for working out by the way) directly. No issues. Sansa Clip who? :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2,852 of 6,413
So apparently Fiio contacted audiobook about adding support to their new M3K ultra cheap DAP and were told audiobook won't grant a license to any non-android devices. If this is true then we aren't likely to see audiobook support on the M0 at any point. Time to remove audiobook support from the M0 wish list.

Do you mean "Audible?" Because "Audiobook" is a tag in any music file, while Audible is a company that provides DRM-encrusted audio files.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #2,854 of 6,413
I asked for bookmarking for podcasts etc on about page 5 (might have been page 20 or even 50 for all that I know).
The only reason I'm not banging on about it every day is because @Shanling said that it was on the todo list and pestering wouldn't help.
No need to shout.
If I get bookmarking this dap can be my only and truest friend.
I don't want to wind the guy up while he is helpful and omnipresent.
Exactly! Also asked for podcast and audiobook support, and Frankie said it is coming. Waiting patiently......

So apparently Fiio contacted audiobook about adding support to their new M3K ultra cheap DAP and were told audiobook won't grant a license to any non-android devices. If this is true then we aren't likely to see audiobook support on the M0 at any point. Time to remove audiobook support from the M0 wish list.

Do you mean "Audible?" Because "Audiobook" is a tag in any music file, while Audible is a company that provides DRM-encrusted audio files.

I thought audio books were just standard mp3 files.
We just need multiple track position counters
MY audiobooks are all CD rips (into MP3), so no license needed by FiiO (or anyone else).
Some audiobooks are DRM protected (Audible, etc.) - a good compromise (at least for some / most) would be MP3-only supported. Better than no audiobook support at all...

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #2,855 of 6,413
MY audiobooks are all CD rips (into MP3), so no license needed by FiiO (or anyone else).
Some audiobooks are DRM protected (Audible, etc.) - a good compromise (at least for some / most) would be MP3-only supported. Better than no audiobook support at all...

I don't think Audible has licensed a non-Android/non-IOS device in nearly a decade. Sandisk used to be Audible-licensed, but I think even they haven't been for at least one or two generations.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #2,856 of 6,413

This is what Fiio posted in the M3K thread, "we had contacted audiobook and they refused to license to any 3rd party non-android products" So take from that what you will, I always just borrowed audiobooks from the library and converted them to mp3 so not really knowledgeable about what is needed for audiobook support. My A17 supports audiobooks but again I already had all my audiobooks converted to 56k mp3 so never used the feature. It might explain why Sony stopped supporting audiobooks in their DAP's after the A10/A20 series if audiobooks became restricted to android based devices.

Perhaps Shanling will give us an answer at some point if they do try to support audiobooks. I don't know that Fiio has ever supported audiobooks in any of their DAP's so perhaps they are confused about what is required to support it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #2,857 of 6,413
Perhaps Shanling will give us an answer at some point if they do try to support audiobooks.

Audiobooks come in several shapes and forms.

Audible files with DRM (.aax) support seems unlikely.
.m4b are just .m4a (aac) files with chapters. That should be quite possible.
.mp3 files with the 'Audiobook' genre are nothing special either.

Audiobook support is pretty much nothing more than allowing to save the position of a file (a bookmark?) so you can resume it later. Between saving the bookmark and resuming it later you should be allowed to play other (music) files.

(There are probably other formats, but the general idea still applies I think)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,858 of 6,413
I always just borrowed audiobooks from the library and converted them to mp3 so not really knowledgeable about what is needed for audiobook support
I am doing the same (ripping to MP3).
Audiobook support, when in MP3 format includes (probably forgot a feature or 2):
- Be excluded from shuffle.
- Save position regardless of music track positions saved, so next time you continue a book - it remembers where from even if you listened to music in last couple days.
- Would be nice to have EQ option for "spoken word"

Again, maybe more useful / needed features (but cannot think off top of my head right now)...

Podcast support is pretty similar, BTW. No shuffle / save last position for each podcast individually / EQ for spoken word.

Hope that clarifies audiobook & podcast requests. Proprietary (e.g. Audible) formats are always nice to have, but NOT a showstopper for most.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,859 of 6,413
Audiobooks come in several shapes and forms.

Audible files with DRM (.aax) support seems unlikely.
.m4b are just .m4a (aac) files with chapters. That should be quite possible.
.mp3 files with the 'Audiobook' genre are nothing special either.

Audiobook support is pretty much nothing more than allowing to save the position of a file (a bookmark?) so you can resume it later. Between saving the bookmark and resuming it later you should be allowed to play other (music) files.

(There are probably other formats, but the general idea still applies I think)

Audible - never bothered. Don't like eco systems at the best of times

M4b most of mine are this format, but wouldn't be too much hassle just to batch convert to mp3.

Really the only thing for an audio book is the ability for it to remember where you left off, either manually or automatically.

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2,860 of 6,413
Pretty much.
It's not much use to me if I can't use playlists. Given the tiny player is pretty much prohibitive of building a playlist inside it.
What I have done is export iTunes playlists, edit the metadata album name to “xxxplaylist”, and copy to the M0. I don’t generally use iTunes much but this does work. These are iTunes resolution but it sounds pretty good. I wear open backed headphones anyway. The M0 and SR80’s have an amazing synergy and you just sling the M0 around the neck and the cable supports it. Best friggin’ $200 sound system ever. Now if I could export Audirvana playlists.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,861 of 6,413
Can you show us a before and after what the playlist looks like?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #2,862 of 6,413
One can try by asking. I'm coming from the Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox and that could do almost everything, it even played Doom (as a proof of concept, not very playable, but it ran!). Also, usability wise, the GUI and navigation was excellent. Even with the small resolution, look at what a theme like this would tell me when I'm playing a file:
That is good design, in my opinion. Of course, it had hardware buttons, but still. If Shanling improves the GUI and control options it would make the product so much better. Maybe hire a Rockbox developer? :) Hardware-wise it's near perfect. It's good to see @Shanling listening to suggestions and bug reports, and announcing upcoming features. Also, maybe something like Trello helps with keeping track of requests/bugs and tell people if it will be done or not.

Rockbox is lovely software, if you have time to set it up properly and are interested in reading manual with over 100 pages.

Not something really suited for common customer.

But if there is some group interested into adopting Rockbox to M0, I will do my best to help them with it.

The speaker has a microphone/buttons for connecting to phones.
Plus they can join to other speakers. L&R
Maybe one of these options is triggering the M0.

Does not happen with my other DAPs.

Thank you, will try to find out more about it.

Not sure who Fiio contacted.

On our side, we want to make basic audiobook/podcasts app, with key features like bookmarking, remembering positions for each file, controlling the speed of playback.
So any audiobook you have in MP3 from whatever source, or podcast you just downloaded from soundcloud, will work.

If you are using audiobooks from some closed system and with DRM, there the chances are quite limited. These big players keeping their "treasure" safe are not interested into third party apps, especially since it's some unknown device for small market.
For the same reason you will likely never see Spotify support outside of Android DAPs.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,863 of 6,413
Audiobooks? What’s next, sliced bread? Geez I like to read, not hear some plebe dictate a story- badly.

I suppose you guys will be telling me we have robot vacuums next lol

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #2,864 of 6,413
On our side, we want to make basic audiobook/podcasts app, with key features like bookmarking, remembering positions for each file, controlling the speed of playback.
So any audiobook you have in MP3 from whatever source, or podcast you just downloaded from soundcloud, will work.
YAY!!! Obviously, Shanling is getting it :)
Thanks Frankie for supporting us! Cannot wait for that functionality to arrive to my m0!!

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #2,865 of 6,413
Audiobooks? What’s next, sliced bread? Geez I like to read, not hear some plebe dictate a story- badly.

I suppose you guys will be telling me we have robot vacuums next lol
Tried reading while driving to work, but that seems to have scared the living hell of the other drivers around me... They started dodging me and honking, across all 3 lanes of the highway - go figure!! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back