Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 28, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #796 of 6,413
See post #788...

It cuts out after a couple of tracks!

May 28, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #797 of 6,413
Still on the stock firmware though. I didn’t have time to update it before leaving for Büsum.

May 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #798 of 6,413
Quality-wise a great entry level DAP overall and especially given the price and size of the thing, I would wholeheartedly recommend it at this price range.
It felt a bit too bright for my admittedly bass heavy tracks, but details wise I had no qualms (with IEMs).
For those who have tried, I would like to know how easy it is to connect to a DAC/AMP with a USB-C cable since I've always had a finicky time using those things.

May 28, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #800 of 6,413
Quality-wise a great entry level DAP overall and especially given the price and size of the thing, I would wholeheartedly recommend it at this price range.
It felt a bit too bright for my admittedly bass heavy tracks, but details wise I had no qualms (with IEMs).
For those who have tried, I would like to know how easy it is to connect to a DAC/AMP with a USB-C cable since I've always had a finicky time using those things.

Using the M0 as digital transport with DAC/amp is pretty simple.

May 28, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #801 of 6,413

Yes, M0 tonality is on a brighter side, but still I'm very pleased with low end extension and impact. Sound stage is above average, layering and separation is average. Dynamics improves when switched to high gain. Zero hissing. It's in line with my expectations for an entry level DAP; actually it exceeds my expectations considering such a tiny size. Plays flac and dsd without a problem. Gapless is fine. Touch screen is more responsive than some of the smartwatches, considering it's size. Can drive even some of the demanding cans loud (like 470 ohm open back R70x), but not exactly to their full potential. Pairs up much better with iems.

With usb-c otg connection, so far I tested with both iDSD (using a cheap $3 usb-c to USB adapter) and HA-2 (using Shanling's own L2 cable). The trick is to turn iDSD and HA-2 first on so it's running off their internal battery, and then connect M0 which detects "audio connected". If you connect first and then turn dac/amp on, they will be draining M0 battery, overhearing it.

The only "bug" with that, which I'm sure going to be addressed in the next fw update, using as a digital transport the playback stops after a short while.

May 28, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #802 of 6,413
Yes, M0 tonality is on a brighter side, but still I'm very pleased with low end extension and impact. Sound stage is above average, layering and separation is average. Dynamics improves when switched to high gain. Zero hissing. It's in line with my expectations for an entry level DAP; actually it exceeds my expectations considering such a tiny size. Plays flac and dsd without a problem. Gapless is fine. Touch screen is more responsive than some of the smartwatches, considering it's size. Can drive even some of the demanding cans loud (like 470 ohm open back R70x), but not exactly to their full potential. Pairs up much better with iems.

With usb-c otg connection, so far I tested with both iDSD (using a cheap $3 usb-c to USB adapter) and HA-2 (using Shanling's own L2 cable). The trick is to turn iDSD and HA-2 first on so it's running off their internal battery, and then connect M0 which detects "audio connected". If you connect first and then turn dac/amp on, they will be draining M0 battery, overhearing it.

The only "bug" with that, which I'm sure going to be addressed in the next fw update, using as a digital transport the playback stops after a short while.

This bug doesn´t exist with the M1, which I´m currently using with my ALO CDM tube DAC/Amp. Sounds bloody superb.

May 28, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #803 of 6,413
This bug doesn´t exist with the M1, which I´m currently using with my ALO CDM tube DAC/Amp. Sounds bloody superb.

Well, M0 is based on Shanling's all new MTouch OS, not the same recycled OS/fw.

May 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #804 of 6,413
We are working on some more essential functions of our own system. Audiobooks are still planned.
To everybody, can you give us tips on your favorite android/iOS audiobook apps?

I don't use a smartphone, and while I'm familiar with podcasting apps from my tablet and my wife's Android phone, what I would like is the functionality that used to be common in stand-alone media players such as the iPod and Sansa lines. Simply put, files that have a genre or location that gets read as "audiobook" or "podcast" would be treated a little differently. They would not show up in music shuffle, they would have the ability to speed them up or slow them down (without that being a system-wide switch), and they would automatically get a bookmark when you left any specific podcast file, so you could listen to music and then go back to the podcast (or audiobook) and resume exactly where you were without any special effort.

These functions do not require any sort of major heavy lifting, as one would find in a full-fledged podcasting app. There's no need to download or convert or parse an RSS feed. Just recognize that audio books and podcasts are not music, and give a few small features to reduce the effort of switching between music and spoken word. I'm actually astonished that DAPs seem to have lost these features that once were touted as being so awesome and amazing and useful.

May 28, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #806 of 6,413
Does anyone here have the M0s and an LG V30. If so can you please compare the sq of the two?
Both the V30 and M0 share the same chip, but , do they sound similar (similarly tuned in terms of warmth/coldness) ?

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #808 of 6,413
Not sure if I'm just too stupid or if it is just a bug since I can't adjust the clock on FW 1.5 :deadhorse:
Everything else (including battery life on lowest brightness) is pretty much astounding considering it's price.

System -> Clock. Switch between 12/24h and adjust hours/minutes.

May 28, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #809 of 6,413
Not sure if this was answered. Can you add playlist on the fly and if so can you name them on player ?

Yes, you can add to Cusom playlist or tag a heart to add to Favorites list. Custom playlists just have default name Playlist1, 2, 3, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back