Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #452 of 1,116
Has anyone directly compared (A/B Testing) the H7 to the Gryphon? @McCol 's write up was the first review H7 review I've read. I'm just wondering how much brighter is the H7 in comparison to the Gryphon? Or is the Gryphon really the way forward if you're looking for a warm sounding device that compliments the IEMs in my signature??
I tried H7 with IE900 & IERZ1R and previously owned Signature(considering it’s slightly better SQ compared to Gryphon). In my case H7 is much better than Signature. H7 has better dynamics, resolution and technicalities over the Signature. I didn’t find H7 to be brighter, it has better treble extensions over Signature but no way sibilant.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #455 of 1,116
questions for h7 owners.. with the h7 having a microSD slot (and i know the answer might be obvious), could you directly transfer files into the h7 while connected via usb dac? does it act like a hard drive?
No, it doesn't support such transport. You have to use a simple card reader to transfer files.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #456 of 1,116
Hello everyone. Picked up Shanling H7 yesterday. I listened a little. I twisted the settings, tried different functionality. So far, except for the memory card. What can I write, after a quick review - the sound is fantastic... Switched to the maximum gain, the factory was at a minimum. The default filter was on a short delay and a fast decline. I put it on a short delay and a slow decline. Filters affect the sound, you can hear the difference. I listened with my IEM Monarch MK2 (on max gain more 40-45 - very loud) Originally there was Fiio Ka3. When I took the Questyle M15 DAC, I thought well, it sounds great, definitely higher level than KA3, for a portable its fire! Then i took the G5 topping, which sounded even better than the M15, the sound became more serious, richer, the scene wider, the device itself is no ultraportable and naturally a higher level. And then H7, which made the sound even richer, a little warmer, more musical, but at the same time very detailed.

I'm not a professional reviewer :) Therefore, I will probably be able to describe a little experience of using it more approximately and share some impressions. Moreover, i do not have a large variety of devices to compare and there are not so many devices listening to this level either. I listened to stationary systems more, I go to hifi-hiend exhibitions there, and I fully immersed myself in the world of portable relatively recently. To make it clear, I would describe it like this: M15 is a bone with a small amount of meat, it was cooked yesterday, but delicious, it turned out a little, but it was quite tasty. G5 is a slightly larger bone and more meat, while it is fresh cooked in the morning, eaten in the evening, got high, very tasty. And H7 is such a healthy bone, where there is a lot of meat, it is the freshest and just cooked, the juice flows, melts in the mouth, a divine taste that will appeal to almost everyone who tries it and who is not vegan of course. For vegans, for comparison, take some baked vegetables instead of meat :)

The most serious differences from the G5 are with a cursory listening in the bass and midrange, while the same crazy detail, scene, etc. all this is at a stunningly high level. Probably the resolution of the sound is also more interesting than in the G5, but here you need a direct comparison and listen through the switch to assess the difference in real time. Listening to Thieaudio Monarchs MK2 on the G5 - woofers were somehow more neutral, there was a strong lack of mid-bass. Everything is in neutrality. The midrange is slightly less dense, the treble is detailed, there is nothing to say. If we compare it with the G5, then the H7 gives this mid-bass and a denser, saturated middle, while the treble is also at the highest possible level. That is, as it seemed to me, it makes the pitch warmer precisely on the bass, mid-bass and throughout the middle, without affecting the treble. Well, apparently all AK, unlike ESS, has a slightly warmer feed. But at the same time, let's say it's not as warm as the ifi Griffon, but there's another dac there.

As a result, it seems to me that the perfect balance of the sound that I would like to get turned out. And which will probably come to a lot of people. For a person who likes a little more warmth, but at the same time would not want to lose a single gram of the highest level of detail. They really got something unique in terms of sound. On the one hand, a soft, slightly warmer feed, on the other, crazy detailing. If we compare G5 and H7 head-on, 90% of people listening to these 2 devices will choose H7 by the sound that will be more pleasant to them. Well, here, of course, the level of the device is higher, you need to understand and the price is serios difference. I compare it to the G5 because I listened to it. H7 should be compared with its direct competitor, this is Fiio Q7, that's where you need to compare the sound of ESS and AK and draw conclusions to whom what will come.

I also got high from the way H7 sounded on a stationary system. Yesterday I connected it to the Sherwood amplifier (inexpensive, but high-quality) via 2RCA (with a good expensive cable) and output the sound to the Heco 702. H7 acoustics itself starts in coaxial mode. We set the volume to 99. The sound was just awesome. Elegant detailing, quality, separation of tools, etc. There, the Dune media player and the Yamaha V6A receiver are connected to the system, after listening to H7, it was no longer possible to listen to them, well, it's understandable :) As a stationary dac, it proved to be simply amazing. More than delighted with what he can do by sound. Moreover, both directly with the connection of a smartphone via cable, and via Bluetooth. Because acoustics and budget amplifiers, I did not notice any difference at all... I connected the H7 to the system, took the smartphone myself, sat on the sofa, turned on Qobuz on the UAPP, connected the LDAC Bluetooth, connected with the H7 and, sitting on the sofa, threw music on it. It sounds amazing, nothing to say. At the same time, it feels like the H7 can produce even better sound, it needs more expensive acoustics with a more expensive amplifier. So the H7 is not something that can be used, but just ****ing used as a stationary dac to stationary acoustics. In addition, with the same connection, sitting on the couch with a smartphone, you can play music from a USB stick, for example, in a country house where the Internet sucks or there is no Internet at all - please.

In the photo, its configuration is in it: the cable is coaxial, but at the same time the input to the dac is coaxial \ optics, at least 3.5 jack is written. Short type-c cable, charging cable, velvet case).
I bought a separate cable on Alik type-c made of sterling silver (at least as I think it is), it is longer, so it is chic to connect them to a laptop or to a smart phone, unlike a complete short one with which it is not convenient, unless the devices are kept close to each other. Well, monarch mk2 headphones with null audio hakone cable 4 cores + size comparison with M15 )

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.png
    5.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #458 of 1,116
@Shanling
Unfortunately, I could not get a branded protective case. Although I didn't really like him either. Still, you can't think of anything better than pasting a protective film over the entire device (hydrogel). Because H7 is planned to live with me for a long time, you need to protect it as much as possible. In this regard, there is a need to partially disassemble it in order to paste it over. At the same time, I wondered what was inside. And then how to change the battery. Shanling, tell me, at the stage in the photo, what should I do to get it out of the aluminum case? Need to push towards the display? I'm afraid of damaging the cables leading to the display. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #459 of 1,116
@Shanling
Unfortunately, I could not get a branded protective case. Although I didn't really like him either. Still, you can't think of anything better than pasting a protective film over the entire device (hydrogel). Because H7 is planned to live with me for a long time, you need to protect it as much as possible. In this regard, there is a need to partially disassemble it in order to paste it over. At the same time, I wondered what was inside. And then how to change the battery. Shanling, tell me, at the stage in the photo, what should I do to get it out of the aluminum case? Need to push towards the display? I'm afraid of damaging the cables leading to the display. Thanks.
@Zmey69 a small favor please. Really interested on how to change the battery. Any chance that you can check that out too?

We're after the same thing. Sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #460 of 1,116
Thanks for being brave enough and taking one for the team, voiding your warranty. :sweat_smile:

They're still in their Chinese New Year celebrations, so not sure if @Shanling would be able to reply promptly.

H7Battjpg.jpg

Looking at the marketing pic above, it appears the 18650 Batteries are located right behind the Source/Volume knobs.
It would seem most likely to push forward the PCB from the back, but yes, one need to know how the LCD is connected.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #463 of 1,116
@Shanling
It could be they glued the insides in there, these things really aren't designed to be used for longer than two years at most before the H8 is out and they will expect you to upgrade.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #464 of 1,116
It could be they glued the insides in there, these things really aren't designed to be used for longer than two years at most before the H8 is out and they will expect you to upgrade.
He definitely has to move out from there and he moves forward a little bit. But i need to make some effort. I didn't put too much pressure on him, because i can see that there are plumes. But if i push harder, it will move forward and further towards the screen. Most likely, he gets it that way. But... Let's wait for Shanling's response.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #465 of 1,116
Does it transmit as well as receive BT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back