Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Nov 23, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #256 of 755
Nice start to a Friday morning with the ET-3 feeding the MySphere 3.2 out of the SAEQ Hyperion Ge. QPlay from QQ Music. :)

IMG_0845.jpeg

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #257 of 755
Late Sunday afternoon listening with the ET-3. Feeding the Holo Spring 3 KTE via I2S, upsampled. Via QPlay on QQMusic. Out into the Stax SR-X Mk2 normal bias, circa 1972. And the ET-3 deserves its place in the company it is keeping. :)
IMG_0903.jpeg

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #258 of 755
Late Sunday afternoon listening with the ET-3. Feeding the Holo Spring 3 KTE via I2S, upsampled. Via QPlay on QQMusic. Out into the Stax SR-X Mk2 normal bias, circa 1972. And the ET-3 deserves its place in the company it is keeping. :)
IMG_0903.jpeg

Great!
How do you find the differences between upsampling on and off… with CDs?

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #259 of 755
Great!
How do you find the differences between upsampling on and off… with CDs?
Well, I find that there is more air and sound density. But of course it will also depend on whether your audio chain will reveal such differences. :)

With PCM upsampling I do find that more density and lushness and with DSD upsampling more air and space. I do enjoy it.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #261 of 755
Understood, thanks a lot :)
no worries at all. Anyway, in this short thread, I have pretty much documented the journey I have had thus far with the ET-3 so that everyone can learn my discoveries and my folly. :wink:

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #263 of 755
Using Optical Out, no upsampling straight to my Element III - damn, this thing is good.

CDs sound great, very lifelike, but using Airplay with Apple Music Lossless is also a pleasure, very close to CD playback. :L3000:
Shanling house sound is pretty addictive. If I recall correctly, Shanling is going back to its roots doing desktop gear. But gotta ask @Shanling about that. I recall they used to produce full sized audiophile grade CD players.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #264 of 755
Using Optical Out, no upsampling straight to my Element III - damn, this thing is good.

CDs sound great, very lifelike, but using Airplay with Apple Music Lossless is also a pleasure, very close to CD playback. :L3000:
They've made a nice product, which sounds good and excellently built, perhaps with the small exception of the remote control which isn't up to par with the rest, but it's a detail.
The only thing missing is adequate firmware support for the time being. An update hasn't come out in months, and there would be a lot to do in the streamer section of the device. Starting with the implementation of services such as Tidal and Qobuz.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #265 of 755
They've made a nice product, which sounds good and excellently built, perhaps with the small exception of the remote control which isn't up to par with the rest, but it's a detail.
The only thing missing is adequate firmware support for the time being. An update hasn't come out in months, and there would be a lot to do in the streamer section of the device. Starting with the implementation of services such as Tidal and Qobuz.
Not sure if there was ever a suggestion that there would be streaming services like Tidal or Qobuz. Perhaps I have missed that. Currently, I just stream Tidal, Apple Music and KKBox using BT. :)

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #266 of 755
Not sure if there was ever a suggestion that there would be streaming services like Tidal or Qobuz. Perhaps I have missed that. Currently, I just stream Tidal, Apple Music and KKBox using BT. :)
No, I don't think they ever promised, but that's not a good reason not to since some of their DAPs have at least Tidal. I don't think it would be very complicated to implement these services in the proprietary app.
For me the BT doesn't have much to do with the HIFI, I avoid it. Tidal and Qobuz can be streamed, in the original quality, using Mconnect. The gapless is lost due to a not perfect optimization of the ET3, on other devices it works. This would be another problem to be resolved with a firmware update.

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #267 of 755
No, I don't think they ever promised, but that's not a good reason not to since some of their DAPs have at least Tidal. I don't think it would be very complicated to implement these services in the proprietary app.
For me the BT doesn't have much to do with the HIFI, I avoid it. Tidal and Qobuz can be streamed, in the original quality, using Mconnect. The gapless is lost due to a not perfect optimization of the ET3, on other devices it works. This would be another problem to be resolved with a firmware update.
Well, it remains to be seen then. As long as it was clear what was on offer by the ET-3. :)

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #269 of 755

The last firmware update was at the end of September, two months ago.
We have no plans and we never announced anything about implementing streaming services directly into ET3

As you said yourself, Tidal, Qobuz and other streaming services could just run over DLNA.
I don't think there is any need to be implementing the services into the device itself (I don't think Qobuz even has any alternative to Tidal Connect?), just hope our software team solves the DLNA problems soon.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #270 of 755
I don't think there is any need to be implementing the services into the device itself (I don't think Qobuz even has any alternative to Tidal Connect?),

Qobuz has promised this for a long time but so far nothing.
just hope our software team solves the DLNA problems soon.
For me, if it worked well with Mconnect and Bubbleupnp, with gapless, it would be a perfect device and I wouldn't have anything else to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back