Shanling EH3 - Desktop DAC/AMP with Wi-Fi, USB Drive Playback and Flagship ESS ES9039PRO DAC
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #76 of 260
Hello you all, a quick one:
Is there a way for me to play YouTube Music on my phone and shoot the signal to EH3 via WiFi and not BT so I can listen to it on good gear?

And thanks to the Shanling participant for letting me know, that the registration only works with Chinese phone numbers.:wink:)

Oh, and when it comes to replacing the op-amp, the Shanling support team sent me this:

"Thank you for reaching out and for purchasing our EH3.

Firstly, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND TAKING APART EH3. DOING SO WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY.
PROCEED ONLY AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE PROCEDURE.
Provided guidelines are just rough guidelines and might not be accurate, we do not take any responsibility for them.

Taking apart EH3
1. Remove all screws from the rear panel. Lift the rear panel and put it aside.

2. Push on the PCB from rear of the device, to push the front panel out of the body of the device.

3. Remove screws connecting main PCB to the front panel. Remove all cables connecting main PCB to the PCB on the front panel. Remove the metal bracket holding connectors in place and remove connectors from the front panel. Now you can put the front panel aside.

4. Push on the main PCB from the front, sliding it out of the back of the body of the device.

We are not able to provide you with any guidance about changing op-amps."

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #78 of 260
EH3 landed this afternoon.

Compared to Shanling Dap, it's much more resolving more separation of layers but you won't get the lush texture of M6 Pro or M8.
Sound if more refined, more extended and enjoyable at first listening of all my gears from buds, in-ears, headphones.
First listening session and it is a keeper.

My most current setup is Audirvana -> EH3 and BT is working instantly too.

Now the very very frustrating part... Shanling software. Tech sawy that I am, I found myself battling to connect wifi from an IPhone
The manual and device label are different in the app. User experience is the worst I've seen. Pretty sure it's the programmers that
decide of the ergonomics and nothing is clear.

Also I'm dumbfounded that there is no USB-C entry in 2024 on such device.

I'm probably keeping it because I got it second hand but it's far for the asked price
because of the software experience. You want to listen music not debug and learn someone else uncommon sense of ergonomics.
Subject is recurrent, Shanling should ask for UX consultant because it kill the potential of the product.

Just an exemple of the stupid case we face as user:
My Iphone cannot send the network wifi distribution... the first field is not filled with info unlike android.
Imagine that! So many Iphone users fighting for the first basic stuffs. You pay that much money to
debug bugs on the first 5 mins of use.

Yet fantastic sound...

Is this a kind of torture?

Update: impossible to add a device to shanling app on Ios nor Android.
- Device is present on android BT list but now in Shanling App how ?
- Synclink not working (infinite screenloading)
- wifi distribution got the wifi name bugged (enter ssid message)on ios
- wifi distribution won't complete on Android, timeout

I'm stuck. Firmware 1.3.

I see the previous owner devices. Pretty sure he send the EH3 back because he can't connect too :/
Hi,

Obviously we share the same impressions on this device...

As I wrote in my earlier reports, I too consider the software to not be on par with the hardware.
But I have not run into some of your problems.

I could connect py phone to the EH-3 pretty easily with SyncLink.
I could connect the phone to the EH-3 using Bluetooth easily.
I could use the EH-3 as a renderer for third-party software quite easily...
But quite easily on the last one because it took some time to really enable the DLAN option.
But once done, it's OK.

As I also wrote, I tried a lot of different ways to get this device to play my music as I want it.
With a nice UI for one ; and with EQ sound for two.

I think that Neutron is quite a good alternative to Eddict.
Bit for some reason, the playback is sometimes "scrambled".
Which is solved by pausing the device with the remote of the button for some seconds then relaunch it.

I did not experienced those problems with UAPP in it's latest form.
That one now included a "Cast to..." function that will send modded files to the EH-3.
So far, I have not experienced that scrambled sound from Neutron.
But it looks like if you're sending none "Bitperfect" sound file, it sometimes varies in the application of the EQ...
So you got sometimes a sound that is a little weird.
I am pretty confident this will be adressed in afuture release of UAPP.

We semms to have the same impression about sound : incredibly detailed... but still a lot of musicality which makes you enjoy the music ytou're listening to...

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #79 of 260
Just got my EH3, updated the software, and am testing it out. So far, so good. Is there any way to have the display turn off after a period of time, to prevent burn-in?

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #80 of 260
That is what you're exposed to when you decide to hold the full software stack.
So much moving parts, you need a lot of QA!
UI, hardware connection, streaming services protocols, huge dev effort.

The thread of EM5, EM7, etc are full of same experiences.
Excellent hardware with some hard pain points.

To my understanding Eddict Player is the only way to setup the EH3 wifi?
Am I correct? I would like to put a conf in usb with wifi/passwd as backup.
Else I'm stuck

My 3 ios devices iphone 7, 13 and Ipad got the bug so it means that eddict is the culprit
because Android display the network names. It just fail later.

I would qualify the tuning as neutral 'gentle' bright.
Details are present with texture when listening to copper instrument.
Subs are present too but discrete, just what's needed, EQ permit a personal tuning to enforce
them as the device POWER make everything hold together very well.
Mids are not that much forward, good dimension.
Depth and separation are very good, depends more of the headphone than EH3.
On the whole specter, it's never dry, get that's where the musical feeling comes from
Planars are the happiest, no noise or hiss when used with sensible in-ear.
I doubt we can push much far the quality in the consumer desktop realm.
DSD different modes have perceptibles effects on the sound display.

If I succeed a day with Wifi, I'll report on SyncLink and direct Nas access.
Right now only BT and USB Dac are working

+1 On the option to turn-off screen after some time.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #81 of 260
Hello you all, a quick one:
Is there a way for me to play YouTube Music on my phone and shoot the signal to EH3 via WiFi and not BT so I can listen to it on good gear?

You can use DLNA over Wi-Fi though apps (not certain if Youtube Music has DLNA support itself) or connect EH3 directly to your phone as a Bluetooth receiver.

Another strange point. Shanling is forcing you to share your geographical position when using the wifi setup.
If you block location you'll see an error message. This should be optional for privacy concern.

This is demand of Android itself, because Bluetooth scan function is tied to location services. And the app uses Bluetooth to communicate this to the EH3.

Just got my EH3, updated the software, and am testing it out. So far, so good. Is there any way to have the display turn off after a period of time, to prevent burn-in?

No such option currently.

Also I'm dumbfounded that there is no USB-C entry in 2024 on such device.

Just an exemple of the stupid case we face as user:
My Iphone cannot send the network wifi distribution... the first field is not filled with info unlike android.
Imagine that! So many Iphone users fighting for the first basic stuffs. You pay that much money to
debug bugs on the first 5 mins of use.

Update: impossible to add a device to shanling app on Ios nor Android.
- Device is present on android BT list but now in Shanling App how ?
- Synclink not working (infinite screenloading)
- wifi distribution got the wifi name bugged (enter ssid message)on ios
- wifi distribution won't complete on Android, timeout

I'm stuck. Firmware 1.3.

I see the previous owner devices. Pretty sure he send the EH3 back because he can't connect too :/
We use USB-C on our portable devices. For Desktop devices we believe the standard USB-B is more traditional and preferred.

Testing on our iPhone, the Wi-Fi name shows correctly in the first line. Can you please send us screenshot of how it looks on your phone?

Please make sure the EH3 is not set to Bluetooth Mode and that SyncLink is turned on. It should show correctly in the SyncLink Menu of the Eddict app.
You mention it's not showing in the list, but then that the Synclink is stuck at screenloading? And now you are talking about iOS or Android?

If you are using second handed unit, we would recommend firstly doing a factory reset of the device and then setting it up.

To my understanding Eddict Player is the only way to setup the EH3 wifi?
Am I correct? I would like to put a conf in usb with wifi/passwd as backup.

My 3 ios devices iphone 7, 13 and Ipad got the bug so it means that eddict is the culprit
because Android display the network names. It just fail later.
Correct, Eddict Player is only way how to connect it to Wi-Fi.
In my experience, the Wireless distribution/Wireless network function can be tricky in on certain network, the WiFI distribution through SyncLink is much more reliable.

If you wish, please send me PM, include some screenshot of the exact error you get on your iOS/Android and I will try to assist you with setting it up.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #82 of 260
This is demand of Android itself, because Bluetooth scan function is tied to location services. And the app uses Bluetooth to communicate this to the EH3.
This is happening on iOS, I doubt that any mobile OS will force gathering geographical location to use bluetooth.
Never my toothbrush or any headphones app like Sony is asking for my geo-position in android or ios.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 03.53.12.jpeg

Here's the screen shot. Wifi name is not found and there is not keyboard focus

USB-B is more traditional and preferred
There's already a cable that you packaged yourself to connect USB-B to USB-A so but no macbook pro or modern windows portable use USB-B anymore
Look at what Hifiman is doing.

Please make sure the EH3 is not set to Bluetooth Mode and that SyncLink is turned on

To enable SyncLink on EH3 it says that bluetooth should be enabled

Then under Eddict I got to Synclink an put it in BT mode, not WIFI
It found my paired BT device and when I click a mode window with circular loader block the screen indefinitely
At the top of Synclink you display the message: Currently in BT control mode, BT earphone mode does not support Synclink function.

Screenshot_20231108-040603.png

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #83 of 260
This is happening on iOS, I doubt that any mobile OS will force gathering geographical location to use bluetooth.
Never my toothbrush or any headphones app like Sony is asking for my geo-position in android or ios.

There's already a cable that you packaged yourself to connect USB-B to USB-A so but no macbook pro or modern windows portable use USB-B anymore
Look at what Hifiman is doing.

To enable SyncLink on EH3 it says that bluetooth should be enabled

Then under Eddict I got to Synclink an put it in BT mode, not WIFI
It found my paired BT device and when I click a mode window with circular loader block the screen indefinitely
At the top of Synclink you display the message: Currently in BT control mode, BT earphone mode does not support Synclink function.
It's was standard request on Android for Bluetooth scanning. I'm not sure why it's included on iOS, will check that with software team.

Interesting, on the iPhone I tested (iPhone 14, app version V2.1.5) it shows the Wi-Fi name correctly.

Lack of standard USB-A connectors on Macbooks is not something we can affect. Luckily USB-C to USB-B cables are easy to find, we even sell one.

Bluetooth needs to be enabled, but EH3 can't be in USB Receiver mode. Please set it to USB DAC for example.
If you paired your EH3 with your phone as a Bluetooth receiver, please unpair it in Bluetooth settings on your phone. Firstly pair it within the Synclink.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #84 of 260

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 03.53.12.jpeg

Update on this.

The iOS will ask for location permission when the app tries to get the Wi-Fi name. If you blocked this permission, it explains why the Wi-Fi Distribution is unable to find it.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #85 of 260
If you paired your EH3 with your phone as a Bluetooth receiver, please unpair it in Bluetooth settings on your phone.
You nailed it, BT is exclusive to Symlink so I get it to works on Android and iOS.
Thanks!

There's hope I can setup Wifi too with help.

You should put all this a pdf with screenshots as a definitive refs.

I did not block geolocation. If you do as stated previously you get an error message.

Just saw that you setup a full menu when in Symlink this could be my door to wifi setup since I can enter infos directly

update: Victory it worked being able to directly send the info

Please change the menu to add the info you're connected in Wifi Menu else we have to chase in About info to check for an ip address

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #88 of 260
Hi,

Asking here in case someone has a clue about how to do this.

I'd like to access the files on the USB Stick hooked in the EH-3 from some Player apps.
The problem is that some of those Apps detect the USB Stick as a NAS.
But others do not :frowning2:

So I hoped to be able to access the files with FTP or ssh.
My EH-3 is on the network with IP address 192.168.1.4.
But if I want to access it using that IP address I end up with a message saying that there is no such server.

I assume I have to enter a specific port and maybe a user login and password :frowning2:
So I wonder if anyone managed to use those and get to the files with FTP or ssh.
Shanling : if you are still here and can answer this I'd be eternall grateful :wink:
Because Neutron does not detect the EH-3 ...

Regards.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #89 of 260
How could I see via WiFi Shanling eh3 in Roon? As an endpoint or as a bridge considered that it lacks Ethernet?

There is no Roon support on EH3.

Hi,

Asking here in case someone has a clue about how to do this.

I'd like to access the files on the USB Stick hooked in the EH-3 from some Player apps.
The problem is that some of those Apps detect the USB Stick as a NAS.
But others do not :frowning2:

So I hoped to be able to access the files with FTP or ssh.
My EH-3 is on the network with IP address 192.168.1.4.
But if I want to access it using that IP address I end up with a message saying that there is no such server.

I assume I have to enter a specific port and maybe a user login and password :frowning2:
So I wonder if anyone managed to use those and get to the files with FTP or ssh.
Shanling : if you are still here and can answer this I'd be eternall grateful :wink:
Because Neutron does not detect the EH-3 ...

Regards.

Have you tested it with Eddict player app?
Our software team focuses mainly on compatibility with the Eddict player app, we unfortunately don't have many details on working with other apps and these special situations.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #90 of 260
Non c'è supporto Roon su EH3.

L'hai testato con l'app Eddict Player?
Il nostro team software si concentra principalmente sulla compatibilità con l'app Eddict Player, purtroppo non disponiamo di molti dettagli su come lavorare con altre app e su queste situazioni speciali.
Okay, but if I connect the eh3 via WiFi to my home modem, Roon will still see it somehow. Maybe in the other devices under Airplay? Is it, however, compatible with Windows or Linux? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back