SF Bay Area Meet impressions (May 2, 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #61 of 92
wow... If I had known more, I would have spent more time with those HE-1000s.
I listened to them for 2 seconds -_-, not entirely sure what they were.

Now I know I'll have to give them another listen, otherwise my life isn't complete XD.

May 5, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #63 of 92

I had it on the round table directly across from you paired with the gungnir/rag, and drfindley had it on his island with the yggy/rag combo.  i didn't get to hear your stuff, what did you have?

Yup. Honestly though, I'm leaning more towards the HD800, but really toward the HE-1000. *swoon* 

My ideal setup: Yggy > Black Widow > HE-1000. I didn't get a chance to hear that, but I did get to hear the HE-1000 out of my Yggy > Rag combo and I was a big fan.

May 5, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #64 of 92
I just confirmed and the next official meet will be July 18th at the Doubletree near San Francisco airport. Warren, Third eye and other familiar players will be there, along with some cool exhibitors like Cavalli, LH Labs and I think still more member showcase room. By that time I will have at least 3 semi-rare gear-s I may bring to demo/compare also

May 5, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #65 of 92
Hey,

So this was a pretty cool meet, very different then the meets i'm used to going to, but it was fun so thanks Bill-P and HuddlerSteph for putting this together and thanks to wikia for the space.

As for what I heard at the meet, well the highlights of the meet for me were the HE-6 and the LFF Enigmatics.

The HE-6 was a headphone I had fallen in love with a long time ago but I had forgotten about due to never really seeing one at meets. So after relistening to it I remember why i fell in love with it. Its just so smooth sounding and detailed and out the the raggy, yggy combo it was like heaven and I am kinda upset with myself for not trying it on the Lyr 2.

The Enigmatic was something else entirely, being LFF's most recent model I had never heard of it before that day and I have to say it was quite moving. It was very musical and very warm sounding. I wanted one right then and there. I hope I can get one of these in the near future and give even more impressions

Thanks
Andre

May 5, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #66 of 92
Wow, what a fun meet! And very nice being "off" for the day as well, I got to enjoy and listen to some great gear. Thanks to @Bill-P for setting this up and thanks to @HuddlerSteph and Wikia for letting us hang out for the day. 

beerchug.gif

It was also great to see old and new friends, and look forward to catching up again at the July meet.

May 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #67 of 92

I had it on the round table directly across from you paired with the gungnir/rag, and drfindley had it on his island with the yggy/rag combo.  i didn't get to hear your stuff, what did you have?

The center island combo always seemed to have a line behind it, waiting to listen and I saw, but missed getting to your table. :frowning2:    It's funny, I had my list of stuff to listen to, but didn't write it down, and then got caught up listening to this or that, or just talking to people and missed things.

I had:
LCD-XC
LCD-2
HD650
Cardas EarSpeakers (IEM)

LittleDot MK VI (balanced tube amp)
Emotiva DC-1 (DAC + HPA)
LHLabs Geek Pulse

May 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #68 of 92
  The center island combo always seemed to have a line behind it, waiting to listen and I saw, but missed getting to your table. :frowning2:    It's funny, I had my list of stuff to listen to, but didn't write it down, and then got caught up listening to this or that, or just talking to people and missed things.

I had:
LCD-XC
LCD-2
HD650
Cardas EarSpeakers (IEM)

LittleDot MK VI (balanced tube amp)
Emotiva DC-1 (DAC + HPA)
LHLabs Geek Pulse

How did I completely miss you at the meet?  I guess I spent most of my time running around, listening to the Ether on a bunch of different rigs, listening to the HE1000 and Yggdrasil.  I also completely missed all of the Eddy Current stuff except the Black Widow (which was really nice!)  I pretty much set up my station (had the Oppo stuff) and then bailed and ran around like a goofball.

May 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #70 of 92
Sorry it's taken me a couple days to get these images uploaded. I've been playing a little bit of catch up at Head-Fi HQ. Immense thanks to @Bill-P and Wikia's @HuddlerSteph and @HuddlerLuis for planning a great meet. It was a very cool venue for a Head-Fi meet.

So, let's get to the pics, eh?

May 5, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #71 of 92
May 6, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #72 of 92
Thanks everyone for keeping the impressions coming! All of us who didn't get to attend truly appreciate you keeping us in the loop. I was really bummed I couldn't make this meet, but looking forward to the one in July! I love me some Can Jam, but I'd like to try out a smaller meet...I might be able to get more quality gear time in with less distractions.

May 6, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #73 of 92
I really enjoyed the size of this meet.

One thing that I think would be interesting is to have one or two tables setup with similar amps or dacs to compare directly.  For example, having the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the E.C. Black Widow and let people sit and listen to both directly in close proximity.

May 7, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #75 of 92

@Bill-P (left) organized a fantastic meet, with the help of @HuddlerSteph, who's both a Head-Fi'er, and with Wikia. (Wikia is Head-Fi's San Franicsco headquarters.) Bill and Steph worked very hard to get everything just right, from name tags to layout, and much more. Thanks very much, you two, for all you did to assemble an awesome event.

@HuddlerLuis was also a huge help both before, during, and after the event.

The elf and the Baron. The short one's me (left), and that's @baronkatz, who was there not just as a community member, but also on behalf of Schiit Audio, bringing a bunch of Schiit's gear. (Schiit was easily the best represented DAC and amp manufacturer at the meet, their gear being personally brought and used by many of the meet goers.)

@HiFiGuy528. You may know Mike from his YouTube videos, and also because he works at Woo Audio.

@chuckwheat listening to the HiFiMAN HE-1000.

That's WAS (his initials and nickname, pronounced "Woz"), who's a musician, music and audio enthusiast (he was there for the entire meet), and SVP at Wikia.

I had a great time talking to @maeveth (left) and @dpron

@gepardcv listening to the Audeze EL-8 Open-Back. 

@gevorg listening to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 from @drfindley's Schiit Audio Yggdrasil (DAC) / Ragnarok (amp) stack.

This is @Marcner. I had great fun talking to him and Barry. 

@gevorg still listening to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 from @drfindley's Schiit Audio Yggdrasil (DAC) / Ragnarok (amp) stack.

@over8ed listening to @gepardcv's DIY Dynalo Mk2 and Sennheiser HD 580.

@dusk listening to the MrSpeakers ETHER from the Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson.

This is the Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson.

This is @foo_me, listening to the Sennheiser HD 800, either from the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, or the Liquid Glass.

@HideousPride listening to the Audeze EL-8 Open-Back from the Woo Audio WA6.

This is @metaldood.

@F14sharky chatting with @knerian.

@CEE TEE!

@third_eye with one of the rigs he brought: The Chord Hugo TT as DAC, driving the DNA (Donald North Audio) Stratus tube amp.

@maeveth listening to the Abyss AB-1266 planar magnetic headphones powered by Woo Audio.

@Mkubota1 listening to the OPPO PM-3 portable planar magnetic headphones.

@shane55 listening to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 from @drfindley's Schiit Audio Yggdrasil (DAC) / Ragnarok (amp) stack.

And here's @gevorg, at it again, with the HiFiMAN HE-1000, Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. Next to him is Craig, CEO of Wikia.

@dpron listening to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 from @drfindley's Schiit Audio Yggdrasil (DAC) / Ragnarok (amp) stack. It's probably abundantly clear by now that this was a popular stop at the meet.

Craig (CEO of Wikia) and WAS (SVP at Wikia). These two are serious about their music and audio, so it's a blast working with them.

@Mkubota1 listening to the MrSpeakers ETHER.

@F14sharky (left) listening to the Abyss AB-1266, and @greenkiwi listening to the Audeze EL-8 Open-Back, both being driven by Woo Audio amplification.

@warrenpchi listening to a stock Sony MDR-Z7, which I think he's intending to compare with @Bill-P's modified MDR-Z7.

Is @warrenpchi dressing a headphone cable, or showing off his dragon form kung-fu? You decide.

@chuckwheat with his Sennheiser HD 650.

@aamefford was fun to talk to, always smiling, and he saved the day by letting us borrow one of his OPPO headphone cables to use the HE-1000 from balanced outputs.

The impressive DIY Dynalo Mk2 built by @gepardcv. Several of us listened to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 from this amp, and it was a gem.

There's @gepardcv now!

This is @drfindley listening to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 being driven by @gepardcv's DIY Dynalo Mk2 amp.

The HiFiMAN HE-1000 being driven by @gepardcv's DIY Dynalo Mk2 amp.

A bunch of us stayed at the same hotel downtown, so the night before we got together for a mini-meet. That's @warrenpchi and @third_eye, preparing to listen to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 from the DNA Stratus.

@warrenpchi at the hotel mini-meet.

I've always thought Donald North Audio's designs beautiful--I love the trademark blue color of his amps.

@third_eye listening to the HE-1000 being driven by the Chord Hugo TT DAC/amp.

I spy a lot of things in this pile of gear, including the PonoPlayer, Aurender FLOW (DAC/amp), Skullcandy Grind, and countless IEMs.

So Donald North doesn't just design beautiful blue tube amps. He also works on DSP for what is probably the best small-form-factor Bluetooth speaker I've heard--the RIVA Turbo X. This one belongs to @moedawg140, but both @joe and I each picked up one at CanJam SoCal (as did many others).

@moedawg140 (with @warrenpchi) holding court over an impressive cluster of IEMs (in-ear monitors) of all shapes, sizes and prices. The following day, at the meet, moedawg140 graciously shared his vast knowledge of all things IEM with meet goers, and his table was quite popular. 

@third_eye listening to the HE-1000 being driven by the Chord Hugo TT DAC/amp.

@shiorisekine listening to the Sennheiser HD 800. Soft-spoken shioreskine is of kind heart, and was a key event team player during CanJam SoCal 2015.

I think I have some phone photos to post, too, and I'll do that later.

I'll also post a few impressions later--though I did more chatting than listening, I did get some listening time in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back