SF Bay Area Meet impressions (May 2, 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 92
Thanks to @Bill-P, Steph, and Wikia for organizing and hosting!  I had a great time checking out a bunch of great gear and meeting a number of head-fi'ers at my first meet.  Thanks also to @moedawg140 for helping me listen to a number of IEMs and to @jude for lending a number of IEMs to the IEM room.

May 3, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 92
Agree that this was a great meet. Appreciated everybody's generosity with their equipment and thoughts. Felt I could really apprecriate the strengths of various headphone by being able to mix and match various combinations. Fun to try out the Ethers,HE1000 and the Abyss. My favorite was whatever I was listening to at the moment, but especially enjoyed the table with the Carvalli/ HugoTT/ blue 300b amp(forgot its name), Woo and Eddie Current tables.
Thanks Bill, Jude and Wikia for making it happen.

May 3, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #20 of 92
Like everyone was saying, this was a great meet. Thanks to Wikia and Bill-P for organizing and hosting this event, I thought it went super well with the environment, the help we had loading and unloading and such and the food and drinks. What a great host. And thanks again to Bill-P for just not quite having had enough of us and making this happen.

It was fun meeting you all and dragging amps and headphones around from Yggy to Yggy and getting a chance to hear so many great setups. Ya'll are lovely people with a passion for truly enjoying music. What a delight. I can't wait to do it again next time. 

I'm afraid my table was a bit of a Schiit show :wink: 

May 3, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #21 of 92
Whoa.
Brilliant meet. LOTS of great table and portable gear, great head gear. Thanks of course to BillP, Jude, Wikia, and everyone else who assisted in putting this together. Class effort all around.
Thanks to all the great SoCal guys for driving up with all that gear!! Seriously nice, and really great to see and chat with all of you.
And... wonderful to see all my Bay Area mates.

Gear... oh yeah. HE-1000. Yes.
TH-900. Yes
BillP's modded LC-2's. Hell Yes.
Mikes sick Geek-Lekerton combo... Oh come ON!!!

Some great Schiit there... probably the Schiittiest show I've been to. And that's a real good. thing.

Cheers yo.

May 3, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 92
Hello @zerodeefex or anybody, about the Geek Out v2. How would you say this compares to the GO 450 and the GO 1000? As far as I recall I think the soundstage was slightly lacking and somewhat harsh highs on the 450. And does the v2 offer an option for DAC-only so that we can use this with bigger amps as well?

Also have any of you tried any of the Audio-GD DACs, or the Gustard X12 DAC? Just curious how these compare to the new v2. Thanks!

May 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #24 of 92
It was really nice to see everyone.  THANK YOU for Wikia (Stephenie, Craig, Was) for their generosity for us to use their space and the kind accommodations.  Here are a few quick pics of my gear.  

May 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #25 of 92
Thanks to the organizers and attendees for making this an excellent meet. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again in July.

May 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #26 of 92
That was perhaps the greatest introduction into the world of high end headphones a guy could have.  I've browsed head-fi a few times looking at specific product reviews, but never actually signed up.  A good friend of mine, @maeveth found out about this event which was about 4 blocks away from my home and suggested I come along.

I expected to go and spend an hour with a few people huddled in a conference room sharing a couple pairs of headphones.  I did not expect hundreds of thousands worth of gear and a handful of unreleased products.  Before I knew it, 6 hours had gone by in a flash, and I didn't even make it to all of the tables.

What I was most surprised about, was how warm and welcoming everyone there was to someone who knows relatively little about this world.  How many people get to join the Head-Fi community by chatting with @jude about the subjective qualities of sound reproduction, having @moedawg140 teach you about the various types of IEMs while you listen to about 30 of them in a row, and trying on the unreleased HE-1000's connected up to a handful of different DAC/Amp combos?  Thank you so much for that!

Those in attendance with cameras may have captured photos of me in various states of wonderment as I began to realize just how deep this rabbit hole can go.  Something tells me that free event may end up costing me a lot of money!

May 3, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 92
That was perhaps the greatest introduction into the world of high end headphones a guy could have.  I've browsed head-fi a few times looking at specific product reviews, but never actually signed up.  A good friend of mine, @maeveth
 found out about this event which was about 4 blocks away from my home and suggested I come along.

I expected to go and spend an hour with a few people huddled in a conference room sharing a couple pairs of headphones.  I did not expect hundreds of thousands worth of gear and a handful of unreleased products.  Before I knew it, 6 hours had gone by in a flash, and I didn't even make it to all of the tables.

What I was most surprised about, was how warm and welcoming everyone there was to someone who knows relatively little about this world.  How many people get to join the Head-Fi community by chatting with @jude
 about the subjective qualities of sound reproduction, having @moedawg140
 teach you about the various types of IEMs while you listen to about 30 of them in a row, and trying on the unreleased HE-1000's connected up to a handful of different DAC/Amp combos?  Thank you so much for that!

Those in attendance with cameras may have captured photos of me in various states of wonderment as I began to realize just how deep this rabbit hole can go.  Something tells me that free event may end up costing me a lot of money!

A pretty awesome welcome for sure! I'm sure all will join me in a chorus of "Sorry about your wallet!"

May 3, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #29 of 92
@Bill-P Thanks for putting this event together! It was crazy fun and very nice to meet you and hear your stuff! Great to meet everyone and hope to see people again in July 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 92
Aggghhhh!  Woulda shoulda coulda!  I should have compared the Ether and HE1000 to my PM-1's!  I'm such a dipstick.  I've been thinking of trading PM-1's for Ethers, but I never listened back to back.  Dumb.  I'm listening to the PM-1's right now, and I really do like them.  They do not have so much of the effortless quality that the Ether possesses, but they are a really nice, comfortable listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back