Setup Options
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thecoolguy

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this thread is on the right forum, but it was the forum that seemed closest to the subject. Anywho:

I've finally decided to invest in a full sized rig.  Throughout the last couple of days I have researched the topic and have come up with a rough outline of what I want my setup to look like:

Source
Marantz CD5004 CD Player

Amp
Woo Audio 6/Little Dot MK IV se

Headphones
Grado HF2

Im going to try to keep the setup fairly simple and have decided not to invest in a DAC yet.

I'm currently a bit overwhelmed with choices and was wondering what works well with what.

Budget
Source-$300-$400
Amp-$200-$400
Headphones-$400-$800

Music Preferences
Pretty much anything except for metal, classical, and country

So with the outline above, would you recommend anything? or are there any other sources, amps, or headphones I should look into.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Anyone? Is it a good idea to use a CDP as a source?

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Any half decent CDP should be fine as a source.

I'd invest most of your budget into the headphones, followed by the amp.  The ratio may between 'phones an amp my change a bit if you get something quite hard to drive or really like tubes or something.  Grados are quite efficient and low impedance so you won't need to spent a ton on an amp.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the reply! I've decided on the headphones and amp I'm going to get, but I'm still trying to decide on the cdp.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 10
Unfortunately I can't really help you out with that one.  I do all my listening off my PC or my DAP, so I haven't been keeping up with the CDP scene.  Good luck with your search though.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
If you get the Marantz, you can plug the HF-2 directly into its onboard amp. I have the SA8001 and it powers my HF-2 just fine. I'd probably use the amp money for a second pair of full-sized headphones, like a Sennheiser HD-600. Those with a HF-2 would be a nice start on a collection. Then you could start saving for a good tube amp.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the advice! I was actually planning on using the HF2s straight out of the CDP for a while since I wont be able to afford the amp right away. The reason why i'm buying the amp is that i've been wanting to try out a tube amp for a while now; And, if I dont like the valhalla, I can always send it back under the 15 day money back guarentee thing and save up for another pair of headphones or a DAC

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 10
Yep, that would work. I haven't heard the Valhalla, but I'm usually cautious around FOTMs. Of course, some FOTMs turn out to be quite good, but there's always a backlash and a bunch of them end up for sale. You might want to hold off until used ones turn up at a good price. On the other hand, you might turn up a good deal on another used amp down the road. But you should be happy with the HF-2 and Marantz. It'll sound good and you should enjoy it.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the input!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pretty much know what my setup will be now. I've decided to go with the WA6 instead of the valhalla. I'm currently searching for a power cable for the Marantz and am a bit confused.  Every power cord I find has 3 holes (sorry if i'm not using the correct term) at the end, while the socket on the marantz where you put the power cable only has 2 prongs.

So my question is-

Will this

Fit and work in this?

If not, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend more than $100 on a power cable

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 10
It should work, but there's no reason to worry about fancy power cords in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back