Serious security problems with Alessandro's site
Aug 15, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
How do you check this for any site?

Your internet browser (Internet Explorer for example) will pop up warning on sties that having this issue.

Aug 15, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #17 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
That is quite frankly disgusting on Alessandro's part.

Rob.

I don't know if I'd use the term 'disgusting' but it is an issue and I'm disappointed that, despite being told about it, they don't seem to care.

Maybe they just don't understand the severity of the situation. Sort of like finding a bubble on the sidewall of one of your tires. The car still drives fine, so why should you pay to have the tire replaced? Because even though everything has been OK so far, given enough time and the wrong conditions something bad certainly can/will happen.

Oh well. I doubt I will buy from them again. A shame, really, since I had thought about buying some MS-1s in the future to replace my now-sold MS-2s. Not replying to emails because you're not very adept at computers is one thing, and I can forgive them for that. But running an online storefront and having blatant disregard for your customers' financial information is not forgiveable IMO. I'm sure they don't WANT to see anyone get ripped off, but if an issue like this has been brought to their attention and they ignore it then that's a very poor way to run that aspect of the company IMO.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 91
might seem like a silly question, but are credit cards numbers way too easy to get, if such security is missing?
what are the other risks?
sorry, I'm not a techie.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 91
What it really matters is that they bought a 1 year certificate, and it expired. They probably don't do enough business via the web to justify the cost of renew ing the certificate. The transactions are still encrypted, there just isn't a way to verify if they've registered the certificate as having been compromised. You're much more at risk of having your credit card number hijacked in a site compromise from a major vendor than you are of having it hijacked via an ecommerce transaction with a small music equipment vendor. Heck, you're more at risk when you eat out and use a credit card. Don't stress it, it's not a big risk.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #20 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
What it really matters is that they bought a 1 year certificate, and it expired. They probably don't do enough business via the web to justify the cost of renew ing the certificate.

Considering a cert costs around $75-$150 (the vendor that I used) its a small cost to give the shoppers some added security.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
That is quite frankly disgusting on Alessandro's part.

Rob.

I've never seen Alessandro's part (nor would I want to) so I can't comment on whether it's disgusting or not.

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
I've never seen Alessandro's part (nor would I want to) so I can't comment on whether it's disgusting or not.

Lol!
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 91
I am sure that if the issue is mentioned enough (without spamming the hell out of them) they might shift their position.

That said, the Taiwanese website -do- provide good deal for the MS-1 and MS-2. Although, is the number next to the RS-1 the price of the phones? Its pretty high, and converts to over $700 (making them more expensive, unlike the MS-1 and MS-2).

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 91
I hate for this to be my first post, but this is just another reason not to do business with this company. And also explains why I could not check out when trying to order the MS-1's thru their website. I did manage to get thru once over the phone to order, but 2 and a half weeks later and no phones, messages left not returned, I called and left a message to cancel my order. They may be a great deal but I will not support a company that shows so little concern for its customers.

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #26 of 91
The biggest gripe I had with Alessandro is that the headphones come with a printed copy of the invoice...that has your full credit card # spelled out on it
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 91
I thought that it is now the law, that only the last four digits show up on a receipt, to stop identity theft. It seems they are still living in the middle ages and need to be cooperative and modernize their ways. We might need a sticky on this.

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
The biggest gripe I had with Alessandro is that the headphones come with a printed copy of the invoice...that has your full credit card # spelled out on it
frown.gif

Woopsie. Ok now that bothers me more than the online authentication thing. Credit card #s shouldn't be floating around the post office, especially paired with a juicy headphone someone might be tempted to check out...

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #29 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
frown.gif

Now THAT is bad. Phone up Visa or whatever credit card company you're using and inform them of this - Alessandro will be forced to fix it, or lose being able to handle credit cards.

Printing out full #'s is a WAY bigger no-no than the online cert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back