Serious popping, clicking with USB DAC
Jan 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #31 of 75
Quote:
mich41, it seems your idea has worked a treat!

I had actually done before what you suggested, by seeing what other devices share the same number as my usb port and disabling those devices (there were about 4 of them including my wireless network card and SATA). In the end it didn't work. But I hadn't noticed that my other USB ports have different IRQs, meaning there are different devices with the same number. Turns out for my other usb port there's only one other device with a similar number. I disabled that and rebooted. 

So far so good 
biggrin.gif

edit: it seems that device i disabled was responsible for one of my usb ports, so im one port short now but I can deal with that 
beyersmile.png

Excellent news !!   I know regarding my own troubleshooting, I went down many roads as just about any computer forum on the Internet are full of similar questions.  The process can be quite frantic as one has so many options to look into, it can be hard to prioritize the order of attack, because you just want to get rid of the issue ASAP.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Excellent news !!   I know regarding my own troubleshooting, I went down many roads as just about any computer forum on the Internet are full of similar questions.  The process can be quite frantic as one has so many options to look into, it can be hard to prioritize the order of attack, because you just want to get rid of the issue ASAP.

I know the feel! As you could tell from some of my earlier posts I was close to giving up, I had looked through so many web pages and tried countless things on my laptop, but im just thankful it's solved.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #33 of 75
Quote:
It's likely that you could re-enable this device without issues. IRQ sharing shouldn't normally cause problems unless the "other" device constantly does lots of stuff (like GPU does) or has really braindead drivers.

Im guessing it's a result of a bad driver because when I upgraded to Windows 7 I used Windows update drivers which are sort of a "one size fits all" driver solution. Sony didn't make available certain drivers for those upgrading to Win7 from Vista which my laptop originally came with. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

You are aware that when using WASAPI, the buffer control is in Preferences -> Advanced -> Playback -> WASAPI ?
Something between 250 and 500 ms should work fine.

I had no clue! I was always using the one under Playback > Output.

The one you mention is at 10 by default, that seems quite low. Increasing it seems to give a large hit to my spectrum visualizer frame rate. Im thinking of re-enabling the device I disabled before and increasing the buffer to see if that would help but honestly I think I'll leave it the way it is. Why fix what ain't broke?

But thanks for the tip.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:
This is exactly what fixed similar issues on my laptop, without disabling anything. You may find out that everything will run fine with all devices enabled. Disabling them looks to me like addressing the symptoms, not the cause.

I just re-enabled the device and the problem comes back.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #38 of 75
Sorry for the bump, but I figured it'd be better than starting a whole new thread.
I'm currently having similar problems. I've got dt770 pros hooked up to a fiio e07k USB DAC, and I'm getting small pops, clicks and cracks that seem to get worse when I'm doing something on my pc.

I've checked:
E07k with my ipod: no problems
E07k with jack into pc: no problems
that one little program measuring buffer: all in the green
I've changed:
buffer size in foobar: no change
mich41's and your solution (no similar numbers on any other ports): no change
updating drivers from mobo: no change besides I'm now getting a bsod on shutdown... that's going back to default.
small general things like using 48khz instead of 92khz, changing usb ports, turning off the exclusive use etc: all no change

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #40 of 75
Quote:
Sorry for the bump, but I figured it'd be better than starting a whole new thread.
I'm currently having similar problems. I've got dt770 pros hooked up to a fiio e07k USB DAC, and I'm getting small pops, clicks and cracks that seem to get worse when I'm doing something on my pc.

I've checked:
E07k with my ipod: no problems
E07k with jack into pc: no problems
that one little program measuring buffer: all in the green
I've changed:
buffer size in foobar: no change
mich41's and your solution (no similar numbers on any other ports): no change
updating drivers from mobo: no change besides I'm now getting a bsod on shutdown... that's going back to default.
small general things like using 48khz instead of 92khz, changing usb ports, turning off the exclusive use etc: all no change

Are you sure you're disabling the right device(s) which share similar IRQ to your DAC? Perhaps post a screen here so we can better analyze it?

This is mine. The device highlighted is my USB dac, I know this because when you right click it and select properties, then Advanced, it displays how much bandwidth the device is using. When no music is playing it shows 1%, when music is playing it shows 46%.

And as you can see under it there's another device ending in 293A which shares the same IRQ (23). If I disable and reboot (important) that then there aren't any other devices sharing the same IRQ as my DAC. Audio works fine then.

If you find that there are too many devices which share the same IRQ, try a different USB port. When I try a different usb port, then there's like 5 devices which share the same IRQ number as my DAC, luckily I have another port (the one im currently using) which only has one other device sharing the same number.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Are you sure you're disabling the right device(s) which share similar IRQ to your DAC? Perhaps post a screen here so we can better analyze it?

This is mine. The device highlighted is my USB dac, I know this because when you right click it and select properties, then Advanced, it displays how much bandwidth the device is using. When no music is playing it shows 1%, when music is playing it shows 46%.

And as you can see under it there's another device ending in 293A which shares the same IRQ (23). If I disable and reboot (important) that then there aren't any other devices sharing the same IRQ as my DAC. Audio works fine then.

If you find that there are too many devices which share the same IRQ, try a different USB port. When I try a different usb port, then there's like 5 devices which share the same IRQ number as my DAC, luckily I have another port (the one im currently using) which only has one other device sharing the same number.

The reboots were probably the problem. I could not turn off my PC as it gave me a BSOD and rebooted immediately after so I just tried it without.
I fixed the BSOD by running some cleaners and installing the drivers off the factory CD and then spent some more time looking at the numbers. While I had previously stuck it in a USB port shared with 3 other things (that I disabled) I now managed to find one that did not share any numbers/IDs/whatever. It seems the problem has been fixed, I don't hear any more pops, cracks or clicks... for now :).

Glad that it got fixed, it took me through a lot of problems. Thank you very much for the help.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 75
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but try raising Foobar's priority in the Windows task manager to 'real time', that might make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back