Senn's HD 700's to be release in January 2008...
Feb 12, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #256 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread can't die so soon, let the especulation continue.

Similar to recent IEM models, the new HD700 might come with separate drivers for high and low frequencies. In fact it may have three drivers, one for treble, one for mids, and one for the lows. Leveraging on the best practices in the speaker world, these headphones won't have passive crossover networks, but will have electronic crossovers, and will be tri-amped, and they will, of course, include their own amplifiers per driver and per channel. Six amplifiers in total. So basically, these will be self-powered tri-amped little monitors that you hang on your head, and you will connect your source directly to your self powered headphones! Now, ain't that a revolutionary design?
biggrin.gif

Thats actually a crappy design hehehe. The only reason why speaker builders make 2 or 3 way speakers instead of staying with a single driver design is that no single driver speaker can have the full extension of the ones with special drivers for the range their playing. Headphones however can extend from 20hz to 20khz without needing the hassle of crossovers( Phase problems, coherency problems, etc...).

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #257 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats actually a crappy design hehehe. The only reason why speaker builders make 2 or 3 way speakers instead of staying with a single driver design is that no single driver speaker can have the full extension of the ones with special drivers for the range their playing. Headphones however can extend from 20hz to 20khz without needing the hassle of crossovers( Phase problems, coherency problems, etc...).

Well you never know, how do you explain some of the top IEM models went the multi-driver way? And those drivers are way smaller than circumaureal headphones. (Not that I had any pretentions with that far-fetched design anyway
tongue.gif
)

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #259 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok yeah i'm a giant hypocrite, how about we all agree to just tone all the sillyness down for a bit... it'll be hard to tell if any REAL information is a joke or not!

Ok ok. Well then, here's the serious part of my previous post, the only fact that I know for sure: the little amps for the treble will be tube-based, while the little amps for mids and lows will be solid state.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #260 of 427
Quote:

Ok ok. Well then, here's the serious part of my previous post, the only fact that I know for sure: the little amps for the treble will be tube-based, while the little amps for mids and lows will be solid state.
wink.gif

I actually heard from my (imaginary) source that the amp for the mids is going to be a hybrid design that is designed to lift the 'veil' for good... there will also be an option for an upgraded power supply for the built-in amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #261 of 427
Spoke to my source again on Thursday (for those just joining us, my source is a sales rep from Senn Canada, not a customer service rep).

The first release date for the 700's is January 7, 2008, but that's for Germany. Funny, as this coincides with the 2008 CES in Vegas. The rep confirmed that that's when Senn is going to be unveiling the new model. Jan. 19, 2008 would be when they are supposed to hit the shelves in the US. Canada will have to wait until the end of 2008, as the rep told me straight up to stay away from the fist production batch, that he will only stock them here in Canada near the end of 2008, once Senn works out all of the bugs from their first wave of releases. For what I gathered, the prototype is presently in aplha or beta testing.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #263 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spanky, got any prototype picture and what's the price range?

Well, the unavoidable nature of this request was to be expected, which is why I already tried to get info on projected dates of more info release, but the rep said that he's kept in the dark just as much as we are as these are developped and researched from Senn headquaters in Germany and the ones who actually have info are kept under the locks of NDA agreements...

Price range at this point is pure speculation (as pretty much the rest of this thread
icon10.gif
) as I figure Senn will be studying this aspect of the product up until the last minute, as prices can have the psychological effects stated earlier in this thread. You never know, they could price it way up there to give out that high price/high quality impression psychological impression, or they could price it very agressively to try and take away a bit of momentum the other manufacturers have built since Senn released their 650. Remember, Senn has been, in the past couple years, working hard in the different headphone markets to try and drive up their share of the market, which it has done consistantly in the past 2 or 3 years with them finally catering to the IEM market (I say finally not knowing if they did have IEMs in the previous line-ups, as the noise around the CX300 is what got me to discover this). The 700, and all of this IMHO, is their next attempt to attack the high end market.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #264 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the rep said that he's kept in the dark just as much as we are as these are developped and researched from Senn headquaters in Germany and the ones who actually have info are kept under the locks of NDA agreements...

The ones with info are under the locks of NDA agreement, very understandable. But this "accurate" release dates info leaks out nonetheless? And a year in advance? Hmm... I'm now thinking the mid range amps in these headphones will be hybrids indeed
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #265 of 427
You see, this info I don't treat as a leak as I made sure it wasn't before letting you folks know. So either the rep is oblivious to what he is supposed to say and not say, or this info is nowhere near as sensitive as some of you folks seem to think.

Of course this could be just me looking to get some attention as I don't have many friends here yet (other than my cans
600smile.gif
) but on the other hand would I waste my time with all of this just to get your attention?...well...probably...
I'm really not helping myself out here...
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
, but that doesn't change the truth to the matter...

So, if you wish to adopt a pessimistic stance on all of this "info" to keep you secure from any disappointments of pushed back release dates and all, be my guests and suit yourselves, while us optimistics revel in the joy of this wonderfull news!

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #266 of 427
Quote:

Of course this could be just me looking to get some attention

I never suggested that though, you mentioned that yourself. There could be many other possibilities that could account for this "leak" or "information" or "misinformation", whatever name might better apply to it. Time will tell...

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #267 of 427
Quote:

I never suggested that though, you mentioned that yourself.

Sorry bud, didn't want for it to go out that way, I was just trying to be funny at my own expense...

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #268 of 427
Quote:

For what I gathered, the prototype is presently in aplha or beta testing.

Any idea at all about the actual can yet from your guy?

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #269 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea at all about the actual can yet from your guy?

Unfortunately, no and I don't expect to since he's only on the distribution side and not on the development team. The info he has is limited to the info Senn has in their databases. I'm going down to meet him in person on the 23rd of February. You never know, I might be able to get more info, but after my last converstion, I was under the impression that there wasn't much remaining available info...

I really can't wait to visit the Canadian HQ. also from my discussions with the rep, I gathered that he was in his 60's, and might be close to retirement. Man I wish I could scoop up that dream job!

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #270 of 427
^Can't you just show us some pics of someone in a white coat listening to some HD-650's covered in Black tape already....

...you know, like the spy shots of future BMW's & Benzes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back