Senn's HD 700's to be release in January 2008...
Feb 5, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #211 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess it's possible. I do like the idea of a planar magnetic-driver though. Untapped potential is what I see in that technology.

I doubt it'll be that revolutionary... Senn is a big company after all. But I think they'll have to come out with a new driver with at least SOME sort of new technology incorportated into it if for nothing just to compete with K701's 'flat coil' or whatever it is they use...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #212 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it'll be that revolutionary... Senn is a big company after all. But I think they'll have to come out with a new driver with at least SOME sort of new technology incorportated into it if for nothing just to compete with K701's 'flat coil' or whatever it is they use...
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Sennheiser knows at the high end a headphone has to sound good above all else and it's clear that with the likes of the HE90 and HD650 they do know how to make headphones using various technologies that do sound great. I have no doubt whatsoever they can make a new great sounding dynamic headphone or a new great sounding electrostatic headphone. I do think as well that planar-magnetic drivers are capable of greatness as well and I'm sure Sennheiser could do this technology justice too. Rather than try to make a good dynamic headphone or great electrostatic, etc , I'd rather they just made something sound as good as possible. Hopefully though not as costly as the HE90 though.
icon10.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #213 of 427
I believe the new model to be of the HD line, the D for Dynamic and E for Electrostatic I believe, thus dynamic, but that doesn't mean they can't combine different technologies in the new design...speculation of course, but I'd bet my soul (or what's left of it) that it's going to be an HD...

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #214 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would people be disappointed if Senn puts the 650 drivers in a new housing?
580smile.gif

No. The current housing/padding overdamps the sound, too polite, too smooth, does not rock. The music seems under glass, I can't get at it.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #215 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The current housing/padding overdamps the sound, too polite, too smooth, does not rock. The music seems under glass, I can't get at it.

That's exactly the way I feel about it. The HE60 is affected by the same problem (not sure about the HE90, though).

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #216 of 427
I agree w/ the dude who said it's time for an all new design.

I disagree w/ the dude who said make them round like Beyer/AKG

The one thing I thought was perfect on the HD-XXX was oblong earcups.

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #217 of 427
Predictions:

Dynamic for certain.
Same dips in hi-freq, just less severe.
2 impedance models available.
Black/Charcoal carbon housing.
Stained Grey Birdseye Maple, both on the headband, and the logo above the earcups.
Traditional oblong earcups w/ gray velour pads.
$649 MSRP
$469 street

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #219 of 427
^Safe bet.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #220 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Predictions:

Dynamic for certain.
Stained Grey Birdseye Maple, both on the headband, and the logo above the earcups.
$649 MSRP
$469 street

That would be hot. I do agree with whoever said earlier in the thread (if it even was this thread) that the earcups could stand to be a little bit bigger though.

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #222 of 427
Quote:

Predictions:

Dynamic for certain.
$649 MSRP
$469 street

I'd like them to be more revolutionary but I expect you're correct.

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #223 of 427
^I know right.

Maybe you'll get an HE50/HE70...

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #224 of 427
Quote:

Predictions:

Dynamic for certain.
$649 MSRP
$469 street

My prediction is that the overall response may be closer to technically neutral than it is now. (Say, no more than -1 or 2dB at 20khz, as opposed to -5dB.) The dips in the frequency response will still be there. (The headphone would sound ugly without them.)

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #225 of 427
Quote:

Predictions:

Dynamic for certain.
$649 MSRP
$469 street

That would be nice. Any predictions on the cable design? Still removable? Better connectors? Better stock cable (the 650 stock is plenty good, IMO)? I think part of the reason why the 650 responds so well to amplification is its high impedance, so I'm hoping the impedance for the 700 will stay high-ish, otherwise it'll make amp upgrades less and less justifiable.

The wood is a nice touch, it'll cater to a different demographic than the K701 users (frankly I don't dig the 701 look at all, but that's just me).

I expect the 700 to sound distinctively different than the 650, they'll HAVE to fix the supposed 'veil' problem (that being the number one complaint coming from 650 owners). My prediction is that the veil problem will be fixed in the 700, and the 650's street price will plummet when the 700 becomes the FOTM(Y).

And I can say that because I'm holding on to my 650 for good!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back