Sennheisser MX 980 vs. IE 8
Apr 24, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #61 of 88
I don't think there such thing as "east" and "west", would be pretty interesting if there's such things...personally I guess Japan get more stuff faster than the rest of asian market since the market there is very competitive since there's more high end stuff and the buying power for expensive stuff is also high...

but aside from that, every other high-end stuff (esp headphones/earphones) usually comes kinda late...been checking e-bay for some deals on MX 980 (hoping i can get them like some lucky head-fiers who got them for 20 USD
tongue.gif
but apparently I'm stuck looking at ipad, ha3)

I'll take my time, I'll wait till there's more reviews and comparison with other stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #62 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so KLS.... you know japanese language??
confused_face_2.gif

i think its no problem for me to wait 2 weeks, i dont know when this mx980 will come to my country... plus the price is cheap.
my country and clieos` country are neighbor

I am living in Japan
normal_smile .gif

Been to Penang island, nice place. Perhaps next is Singapore or Bali
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #63 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by emti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there such thing as "east" and "west", would be pretty interesting if there's such things...personally I guess Japan get more stuff faster than the rest of asian market since the market there is very competitive since there's more high end stuff and the buying power for expensive stuff is also high...

but aside from that, every other high-end stuff (esp headphones/earphones) usually comes kinda late...been checking e-bay for some deals on MX 980 (hoping i can get them like some lucky head-fiers who got them for 20 USD
tongue.gif
but apparently I'm stuck looking at ipad, ha3)

I'll take my time, I'll wait till there's more reviews and comparison with other stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

It is quite true Japan gets things faster. However, the price is not dropping any faster compared to pther Asian countries. It took a year for W3/UM3X to drop from $500 to $400
angry_face.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #64 of 88
Actually there is an "east" and "west", when I registered my MX 980 on Sennheiser's website I had to choose between east and west, each with its serial. I don't know what it really means...

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #65 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait for MX980 to arrive on the local market. I wonder why it always takes so long for Sennheiser Asia to bring their flagship to Asia?
frown.gif

Maybe you can order from this store in Thailand. They seem to have them.
ร้านมั่นคง สาขาดิจิตà¸*ลเà¸à¸—ต์๠€à¸§à¸¢à¹Œ à¸à¸±à¸šà¸¥à¸¹à¸à¸„้ารายà¹à¸£à¸à¸‚ภ*งร้าน !!! - Munkong Gadget Webboard

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #70 of 88
Had a quick listen to the PK1 again (I am using a Iphone 3G out of the headphone socket). They sound good very upfront whist the Mx980 have the "senn" sound nice and laid back with a much better soundstage. both have a decent amount of bass but the
PK1 is really designed for use with a amp and that is how I always use it. You need the volume to be at around 9/10 to get a decent sound level but you can hear the iphone struggle maybe with a more powerful DAP.......

So in my view the really battle will be between the MX980 and the TM.5....

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #71 of 88
Smith you are killing us all, please give a nice review and your thoughts on it already :p

the 980s are not forward sounding? Cant you give us a more in depth comparison please?

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #72 of 88
^x2

@Smith:
Do you mean that PK1 is on a whole different level than the 980 and TM5?
Have you tried and compared PK1 and MX980 with amp?
From those sets you have, which one do you prefer? PK1 or MX980? and why?

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #73 of 88
Sorry guys but have been quite busy workwise to do a full review. But the points I am trying to make are that the PK1 really needs a amp and i am just getting uesd to the mx980, only had then a few days. I do not have the TM5 but have read a review on this site which said they were designed for use stright from a source.

Really the mx980 sounds like a"senn" and the PK1 has a "grado" type of sound. No the senns are not forwarding sounding just a nice balance with a much better soundstage than the Pk1. For me i am not using a amp anymore so the mx980 is the one I prefer.

i would not say that a ampped Pk1 is on another level but it sounds better than a unamped mx980. I will try to have listen to the senn with my amp (RSA Shadow).

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #75 of 88
Ohh for the love of god someone send him like a grand or so, so he can take off work and give us a great review :3

This really scares me. I absolutely HATE the grado sound. It's flat and not at all dynamic, its just close up and piercing and heavily lacking bass, I am after a forward sound though. But I absolutely love my sennheiser 485/600 ect ect, but I REALLY wish they were slightly more forward :[

ALSO!!! Comparing the lower end grado to the lower end sennheiser isnt a fair thing to do, as the sennheisers are just vastly superior in every way if you as me. Nicer bass, MUCH nicer separation, more detail...

this isnt at all fair.

the mx980 has a superior high and mid range, im sure the bass has immense kick and a great soundstage and separtion

the PK1 has a better bass experience, and is more forward which is what i am personally after, but I absolutely hate the grado experience, lacking separation and kick, that sparkle factor.

I think the mx980 is looking like a better option. I dont have an amp and nobody seems to want to reply to my threads in the amp forums area, so it looks like for me the 980 is the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back