Sennheisser MX 980 vs. IE 8
Apr 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #31 of 88
One more question JulienS.

would you post a picture of that pouch that comes with the earbuds? I saw it on Sennheiser website but it does not look like an earbud pouch, the photos are not very good.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 88
Nice shots JulienS and thanks for the link.

It was completely unclear for me what that leather pouch was for. It is basically a similar case as the one with IE8, but in leather and not plastic/ metal.

Thanks again. Now just waiting for a confirmation from mymemory that they have them in stock again as I do not think I want to pay 135 GBP for them instead of 100 on mymemory.

BTW., Can you please tell me the dimensions of that pouch?

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #36 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,

I am looking to buy a new pair of earphones and looking at the prices difference between MX980 which is 130 GBP vs 35 GBP for MX880. Do you think the pricde difference is worth it?

How do these two pairs stand next to MX760?

I also looked at the MX980 on Sennheiser's website and the metal part that sticks out of the earphone itself looks pretty fragile and looks like it could easily just bend. What is your impression there?

I would really appreciate the input.

MX 980 is worth the price difference, sound and build quality is fantastic.
MX 880 is really good but MX 980 is a real step up.
MX 880 is already noticeable better than MX 760.
And MX 980 again is noticeable better than MX 880.

Build quality of MX 980 is exceptional. No reason to worry about.
Maybe it looks a little fragile, but it is very solid.
Don't worry about this.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #37 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by nengerlf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MX 980 is worth the price difference, sound and build quality is fantastic.
MX 880 is really good but MX 980 is a real step up.
MX 880 is already noticeable better than MX 760.
And MX 980 again is noticeable better than MX 880.

Build quality of MX 980 is exceptional. No reason to worry about.
Maybe it looks a little fragile, but it is very solid.
Don't worry about this.

Thanks for the input. As always it seems that it is better to wait a bit and buy something better than to jump and buy anything.

I will wait for a better price and obtain a pair of MX980s.

BTW., would anyone be able to relate these to my current ESW9s? I really like the sound signature of my ATs and hope Sennheisers will nicely complement them.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 88
Quote:

Can you compare them to MX880/ 760 and maybe AKG K319? Have you had any of these?

I have all the earbuds you mention.
MX 980 is for sure better in sound and build quality than all of them.
I would rate build quality like that: MX 980 > K 319 >> MX 880 > MX 760
I would rate sound quality like that: MX 980 > MX 880 > K 319 >> MX 760
But already MX 760 has good build and sound, so don't worry about MX 980 :)

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 88
If someone is interested in good quality pictures of Sennheiser products, they have a nice picture database linked on their website.
Plenty of really nice pictures available there.
You will need to register to get access but it is without risk.
Anyhow, I am registered there and so if anyone needs some pictures I could send them via mail if you don't want to register.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by nengerlf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone is interested in good quality pictures of Sennheiser products, they have a nice picture database linked on their website.
Plenty of really nice pictures available there.
You will need to register to get access but it is without risk.
Anyhow, I am registered there and so if anyone needs some pictures I could send them via mail if you don't want to register.

Thanks for all your comments, very valuable.

I will register on their website and look at the photos.

Can you send a link to the repository?

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 88
Quote:

Thanks for all your comments, very valuable.

I will register on their website and look at the photos.

Can you send a link to the repository?

Thanks.

Here is the link to the picture database.

Sennheiser Worldwide: Mikrofone, Kopfhörer und Informationssysteme

They told there are about 2000 pictures in high resolution jpeg format and they will add more and more.
Nice pictures from all the products and the company.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #43 of 88
Well I did... I have them now (mx980). Sound quality is up there with the best of them and i have owned a few ear buds Senn 880,760 & the yuin PK1 & Ok1. The first think i noticed was the nice fit in my ear the design really works for me and the buds stays in place very well. The sound quality... well powerful and so easy to drive are the first things that come to mind. They do not need a amp!, the bass is really good as is the mids and the soundstage. Worth the money in my view and a huge step up from the 880. How does it compare to the PK1, well my first thought was this is how the Pk1 sounds with a amp. I will have a listen to my Pk1's again but the fact 980 is so easy to drive is a big plus point.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #44 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I did... I have them now (mx980). Sound quality is up there with the best of them and i have owned a few ear buds Senn 880,760 & the yuin PK1 & Ok1. The first think i noticed was the nice fit in my ear the design really works for me and the buds stays in place very well. The sound quality... well powerful and so easy to drive are the first things that come to mind. They do not need a amp!, the bass is really good as is the mids and the soundstage. Worth the money in my view and a huge step up from the 880. How does it compare to the PK1, well my first thought was this is how the Pk1 sounds with a amp. I will have a listen to my Pk1's again but the fact 980 is so easy to drive is a big plus point.

Congratulation!

Do you mean they sound as good as PK1 but even don't need an amp to sound so good?
Or do you mean they even sound without amp better than PK1 with amp?
Do you think PK1 sounds more full / big / full-sized than MX 980? Or are they on the same level in this regard?

I am really interested in more details of your comparison of MX 980 and PK1.
Any thoughts will be welcome.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #45 of 88
Yeah! way to go Smith! Finally someone who have both PK1 and MX 980 (perhaps u have TM5 too?)
tongue.gif

Anyway, can't wait for your detailed impressions between PK1 and MX 980, if you said that MX 980 seems like PK1 unamped, they sounded promising...makes me holding my purchase of PK1 even more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back