Sennheiser's new dynamic flagship?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 73
If the whole story isn't just a hoax, the HD 820 could effectively be a closed variant of the HD 800(S), as I see it – the surface at the back isn't clearly identifiable as a rear grill. In any event the design looks less open than the HD 800's, which wouldn't make sense if it's meant to be an upgrade.

May 1, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 73
If the whole story isn't just a hoax, the HD 820 could effectively be a closed variant of the HD 800(S), as I see it – the surface at the back isn't clearly identifiable as a rear grill. In any event the design looks less open than the HD 800's, which wouldn't make sense if it's meant to be an upgrade.

Perhaps it's more closed but better in other regards? I think this is going to be a bit like the 600 series, where it is personal preference. That's even if this is real, it's seems strange they write this for the HDV 820

"The amplifier delivers a particularly impressive acoustic performance when paired with Sennheiser’s acclaimed HD 800 S headphones. This harmony is reflected by a new anodized black finish with white LED lights, a design that complements the subtle elegance of the HD 800 S."

When they are bringing out a new headphone soon

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 73
mm...fake news. From my conversation with a Sennheiser Asia official (after my audition of the HE 1 during CanJam Singapore 2017), I specifically asked him if Sennheiser will be unveiling a successor to the HD 800/S. His categorical answer: nope, not anytime soon.

I had a similar conversation with a Stax official regarding a new TOTL Stax amp. He denied it..........he lied. T8000. lol!

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 73
mm...fake news. From my conversation with a Sennheiser Asia official (after my audition of the HE 1 during CanJam Singapore 2017), I specifically asked him if Sennheiser will be unveiling a successor to the HD 800/S. His categorical answer: nope, not anytime soon.

I had a similar conversation with a Stax official regarding a new TOTL Stax amp. He denied it..........he lied. T8000. lol!

The thing is there is a "leak" about the HD 820, so there is more reason for him to tell the truth about the situation, so it might be true as to what Sennheiser said to you

May 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #20 of 73
What's funny is, true or not, I'm interested...:L3000:

May 2, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #21 of 73
Jamey Warren (owner of Headphone.com) posted that he was told by his rep that Sennheiser would be coming out with a closed-back variant of the HD 800 later this year.

So it looks like the HD 820 is probably it.

If that means that there might finally be a HD 800 with some real bass, I'm all for it! :metal:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 73
Bit dissapointing. I was personally hoping for HD800S successor. But TBH, what can you improve it without cannibalizing the actual soundstage. Heck, even the HD800S lacks "littlebit" of the original HD800's soundstage.

Utopia and HE-1 lacks the soundstage-element compared to HD800's. And HD800's actual realworld goal was to be as "speaker like as possible".

But if you look closely to the image, you can see that the areas that are metal-mesh in HD800/HD800S are actually all black and sealed. (Or so it looks like)

But in the other hand, the driver itself looks bigger. But what would be other reason to cover those? HE-1 covers most of the areas in front of the driver because it has amps build inside the heaphone itself, and it needs to dissipate the heat.

HD800 had "flaw" that Senn fixed with HD800S. (How much they can improve the HD800S without cannibalizing the HE-1?)

Sennheiser upgraded the 1991 made Orpheus to HE-1 last year

Sennheiser fixed the "DAC-flaw" of the HDVD 800 with HDV820. (Now it has same DAC-chip that is in the HE-1)

What is missing in this lineup? Sony has one. Mr. Speaker has one, Audeze has one.
Closed Hi-End headphone.

One thing i don't understand tho, is that if it is closed headphone. Why the hell call it HD820? Is it better than HD800S?

May 2, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #25 of 73
Are we taking bets yet? Because my money is also on it being closed back. In that case it would technically either be a side-grade or downgrade in technical performance wouldn't it? That is, compared to 800S.

May 3, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #26 of 73
A little birdie told me at CanJam SoCal that another high-end headphone manufacturer will be coming out with one (and maybe two) TOTL closed-back headphones possibly by the end of the year.

So it looks like high-end closed-backs are becoming a trend.:scream:

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #27 of 73
A little birdie told me at CanJam SoCal that another high-end headphone manufacturer will be coming out with one (and maybe two) TOTL closed-back headphones possibly by the end of the year.

My Z1R should be coming in the mail any day now :D

May 3, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #28 of 73

It does appear that the sub-USD800 and sub-USD1000 and closed back markets are the new focus and definitely ready, primed, and in need of/for a major shake up. Definitely can say that closed-back tech needs to catch-up to open-back.

It will not be surprising if some top-tier performance audiophile closed-back headphones soon appear out of this awakened market segments (sub-USD800 & USD1000) with a high probability that they could even be as low as USD350-500 where many place the diminishing returns demarcation. The HD6xx have proven that it can be done and after their seemingly never-ending success it would not make any sense for companies to not go after this segment again... albeit via lower impedance closed-back models (due to mobile devices) and at even more competitive pricing (sub-USD500).

I was reading somewhere that it is predicated that a new budget king of audiophile tier-one grade headphones will appear this coming year with sub-20 ohms impedance and a sensitivity/efficiency well below 100 dB/mW (possibly nearing 95 db/mW as mobile devices are predicted to get even more powerful due to recent battery and op-amp efficiency technologies). The Aeons appear to be proving this prediction correct (14 Ohms; 97dB/mW) and will probably spark/kick-start a race at this market segment which was kinda started by the Sines with their 20 ohm impedance and >120db SPL/mW specs and target customer market.

The soon arriving HeadRoom Cosmic along with the Senn HD820 might indeed be these new kings and if under 1K or less, budget as well...

May 3, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 73
It does appear that the sub-USD800 and sub-USD1000 and closed back markets are the new focus and definitely ready, primed, and in need of/for a major shake up. Definitely can say that closed-back tech needs to catch-up to open-back.

It will not be surprising if some top-tier performance audiophile closed-back headphones soon appear out of this awakened market segments (sub-USD800 & USD1000) with a high probability that they could even be as low as USD350-500 where many place the diminishing returns demarcation. The HD6xx have proven that it can be done and after their seemingly never-ending success it would not make any sense for companies to not go after this segment again... albeit via lower impedance closed-back models (due to mobile devices) and at even more competitive pricing (sub-USD500).

I was reading somewhere that it is predicated that a new budget king of audiophile tier-one grade headphones will appear this coming year with sub-20 ohms impedance and a sensitivity/efficiency well below 100 dB/mW (possibly nearing 95 db/mW as mobile devices are predicted to get even more powerful due to recent battery and op-amp efficiency technologies). The Aeons appear to be proving this prediction correct (14 Ohms; 97dB/mW) and will probably spark/kick-start a race at this market segment which was kinda started by the Sines with their 20 ohm impedance and >120db SPL/mW specs and target customer market.

The soon arriving HeadRoom Cosmic along with the Senn HD820 might indeed be these new kings and if under 1K or less, budget as well...

I would love nothing more than to see the trend of flagships/totl headphones (even just the closed variants) trend downward in pricing. "Audiophile" grade.. anything.. only gets higher in price over time. Sorry to burst your bubble though, the clueless mass consumers of these products are the reason behind the huge pricetags and it has only gotten worse and it will only get worse. I am definitely partly to blame, but at least I understand and advocate against it.

If a HD820 is released, it is going to be the same price or higher than the 800S ($1700).. Just from the naming scheme of the headphones they won't release a brand new "flagship closed back" headphone for a budget price or even for a sub $1000 price. Just my 2 cents.

May 3, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #30 of 73

I would love nothing more than to see the trend of flagships/totl headphones (even just the closed variants) trend downward in pricing. "Audiophile" grade.. anything.. only gets higher in price over time. Sorry to burst your bubble though, the clueless mass consumers of these products are the reason behind the huge pricetags and it has only gotten worse and it will only get worse. I am definitely partly to blame, but at least I understand and advocate against it.

If a HD820 is released, it is going to be the same price or higher than the 800S ($1700).. Just from the naming scheme of the headphones they won't release a brand new "flagship closed back" headphone for a budget price or even for a sub $1000 price. Just my 2 cents.
Very true but one can try to be blind-fully hopeful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back