Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 13, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #2,866 of 4,141
Till i buy a dedicated amp... i have an old pioneer vsx 421 that has phones output in its front side. Can it drive the hd6xx? Could not understand it from the manual. Any help is apreciated http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/VSX_421_K_VSX421Ken_manual/
A lot of people rave about vintage receivers with higher impedance headphones. So go for it. I think I'm going to dust off my early 80's NAD and give it a listen.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2,868 of 4,141
Sorry. Just trying to find something that has the best of both worlds. Don't have the money to keep ordering and reselling stuff.
I believe this is still Head-Fi and if it goes too off topic I'm sure a mod will step in. If someone is comparing a different headphone to the 6xx's then I think it is fine to say here.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2,870 of 4,141
Jan 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,871 of 4,141
It's my bad, I'll quit posting here.
You don't have to but if your looking for something the different then that would be the wise choice.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,872 of 4,141
Calling it vintage... u make me feel old :)
But question is if it makes sense. In new amp dacs they write to which typ of hp they r suitable for. Usually it says for hp with up to 100 ohm (or a different number) hd6xx is 300 but i have no idea the output of the vsx 421

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #2,873 of 4,141
Calling it vintage... u make me feel old :)
But question is if it makes sense. In new amp dacs they write to which typ of hp they r suitable for. Usually it says for hp with up to 100 ohm (or a different number) hd6xx is 300 but i have no idea the output of the vsx 421

Antique would be worse...

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #2,874 of 4,141

Don't worry about it. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't have enough output and can't play loud enough — then you need a dedicated amp, but actually it will probably work okay.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #2,875 of 4,141
I m not an expert but i was under the impression that amps r not only about loudness and that it affects the sound quality. M i wrong?

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #2,876 of 4,141
I m not an expert but i was under the impression that amps r not only about loudness and that it affects the sound quality. M i wrong?

That is correct, but I don't understand the purpose of your questions. You seem to be afraid to use your receiver because you think it might not be good enough. Well, it is what you are going to use at the moment, so enjoy what you have available now. Yes, you can improve it with a better amp and source, but the upgrade path is never ending.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,877 of 4,141
The purpose of the question is to understand if the receiver will be a better amp than what i have in the fiio x1 gen 1 because the receiver is in the garage behind million boxes so if according to its specs no way it will be better then i dont want to go with all the trouble of getting it back into the house ...

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,878 of 4,141
The purpose of the question is to understand if the receiver will be a better amp than what i have in the fiio x1 gen 1 because the receiver is in the garage behind million boxes so if according to its specs no way it will be better then i dont want to go with all the trouble of getting it back into the house ...

Yes, your vintage receiver will drive the HD6XX fine.  Whether it is better than your Fiio only you can tell by trying them side by side.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,879 of 4,141

Better cannot say. More powerful, yes. The X1 won't have the power to drive the HD 6xx well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back