Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,551 of 4,141
My father recently gave me his entire CD collection, started in 1982, lol. It's wonderful because he bought a huge selection of music, covering everything from classical to new age, jazz, classic rock, etc. Some are very hard to find these days, so I'm very grateful. If that device works out well, I'll buy it to speed up the process. I'm really hoping you love it and it works out awesome! Your husband is great, such a good gift!

My girlfriend bought me a headphone stand, and I really need it. Very thoughtful of her and I'm shocked actually. Never would have thought she would think of something like that! Merry Christmas, hopefully everyone gets some headphone gear!

A headphone stand is a great gift!  See, she will come around. 
wink_face.gif

The CD ripper is awesome!  With the add-on software they include it will rip and encode directly to FLAC, and inform if there are any errors.  The instructions leave a lot to be desired (which seems to be the case with all audio-related things), but after some tinkering with the settings we got it working in batch mode - meaning that it rips a disc, the robot loads another one, and it continues ripping and autoloading up to 100 discs.  It takes 3-5 minutes a CD on average.  The software pulls the album info from a database, and outputs the FLAC files into folders that are organized by artist name and album title.

Discs with scratches take longer, as it will slow the read speed down to try to prevent errors.  I've been using it with my husband's desktop because it is much faster than my laptop, and hope to have everything transferred in a few days.

I'm super happy with it, and my husband will be super happy to not have our basement full of boxes of CDs!

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,552 of 4,141
I'll be doing some hiking/camping stuff so I'm building up a cheap mobile setup of Fiio X3ii, IEMs. The 6XX is made for home but, I sure hope the mobile setup will still be enjoyable.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,553 of 4,141
A headphone stand is a great gift!  See, she will come around.  :wink_face:

The CD ripper is awesome!  With the add-on software they include it will rip and encode directly to FLAC, and inform if there are any errors.  The instructions leave a lot to be desired (which seems to be the case with all audio-related things), but after some tinkering with the settings we got it working in batch mode - meaning that it rips a disc, the robot loads another one, and it continues ripping and autoloading up to 100 discs.  It takes 3-5 minutes a CD on average.  The software pulls the album info from a database, and outputs the FLAC files into folders that are organized by artist name and album title.

Discs with scratches take longer, as it will slow the read speed down to try to prevent errors.  I've been using it with my husband's desktop because it is much faster than my laptop, and hope to have everything transferred in a few days.

I'm super happy with it, and my husband will be super happy to not have our basement full of boxes of CDs!

That's fantastic. I'm going to look into one for sure.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #2,556 of 4,141
Honestly, I found 6xx sounding great using my iPad alone with Apple Music. I found great soundstage and bass. I wouldn't mind using it that way in portable use. It should be fine as long as you don't delve too much into the micro details and technical aspects, and just enjoying the music. Surprisingly, I did not find any significant difference between using iPad alone and the Cayin C5 which has similar power output as the Fiio E12. The only difference is, you can get more volume, but the iPad volume was sufficient for me. My recommendation is not to invest in portable amps which may not improve SQ significantly. Instead, save up for a end game desktop amp, which should make a big difference.

6xx sounds really good with the pono player and a balanced connection. You can consider a portable balanced amp. Massdrop has had several drops of portable balanced amps recently. Watch out for more.

What would you recomend as a improvement to the e12? A amp/dac combo? I have been eying thr oppo ha 2 and the new schiit fulla 2 but i dont know if those would make my hd600 and dt770 80ohm better. I get a similar response to yours when using the e12. I get more volume but thats pretty much it. Maybe the sound gets a little tighter and cleaner on the dt770 but we are talking about really marginal stuff. I mostly use portable sources like my air 2. Very rarely use my conputer ad my listening source.... So if upgrading i would like something more geared towards portable sources....

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,557 of 4,141
After spending a few days with the 6XX I find myself being turned off by what seems like a mid-range that is too forward, and somehow I am developing a sense of this "veiled" aspect as bothering if anything. It feels as if high, mid, and low ranges are in this giant free-for-all with one another, and this makes each distinction that less distinct.

I do like the treble though, whether it is less-fatiguing or rolled off or maybe both! Furthermore, I was playing Fallout 4 and I actually found myself frighteningly excited and nervous at how many directions sounds were coming from.

I'm only using the Micca Origen+ at the moment, so I'm wondering if the Darkvoice tube amp will make some difference in what I find to be troublesome. Then again my only comparisons are with the Alpha Prime and HD-598 SE. The neutrality, soundstage, imaging, and vocals of the Alpha Prime are something I would like to find with an open can of headphones. I'm somewhat unsure if I will be able to adapt the warmth of the HD-6XX.

I've been considering trading for a HiFiman HE-400i or ATH-AD2000X, yet who knows?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a very neutral open set of headphones other than the HD-600?

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #2,558 of 4,141
After spending a few days with the 6XX I find myself being turned off by what seems like a mid-range that is too forward, and somehow I am developing a sense of this "veiled" aspect as bothering if anything. It feels as if high, mid, and low ranges are in this giant free-for-all with one another, and this makes each distinction that less distinct.

I do like the treble though, whether it is less-fatiguing or rolled off or maybe both! Furthermore, I was playing Fallout 4 and I actually found myself frighteningly excited and nervous at how many directions sounds were coming from.

I'm only using the Micca Origen+ at the moment, so I'm wondering if the Darkvoice tube amp will make some difference in what I find to be troublesome. Then again my only comparisons are with the Alpha Prime and HD-598 SE. The neutrality, soundstage, imaging, and vocals of the Alpha Prime are something I would like to find with an open can of headphones. I'm somewhat unsure if I will be able to adapt the warmth of the HD-6XX.

I've been considering trading for a HiFiman HE-400i or ATH-AD2000X, yet who knows?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a very neutral open set of headphones other than the HD-600?

You may not be used to hearing a headphone with such natural sounding tonality. What you're describing as a "free for all" in the frequency response just sounds like correct representation of sound to me. I didn't like the 650 the first time I tried it, either. I say give it two more weeks.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,560 of 4,141
  Any news on the extra short cable from Massdrop? 

Last week I read they were looking into it with Sennheiser.

No word since...

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,561 of 4,141

I find that I like my AKG K701 for movies/video games and my HD-6XX for music. YMMV

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,563 of 4,141

I find that I like my AKG K701 for movies/video games and my HD-6XX for music. YMMV

How are the AKG K701's in terms of neutrality?

Have you given the K712's a shot?

Not to speak for waiyun...but here were my thoughts at one point...
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/11476

You may be a candidate for Sennheiser's HD700, IMHO sound is crisper and imaging IMHO is more precise over the 650/6XX..and the K7XX's for that matter.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,564 of 4,141
So from what I gather when I asked before the M9XX isn't a great pairing for the HD650s, would Jotunheim be appreciably better?  From what I can understand they have the same DAC but Jotunheim seems to have a better amp, so would it be worthwhile to swap?  I know the go-to recommendation for the 650/6XX is the Crack, but from what I can gather it wouldn't really play nice with my other headphones and I don't really want to spend that much money on an amp I'd only use for one pair of headphones (especially without knowing it'd reach the pseduo end-game level other people talk about with them).

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,565 of 4,141
So from what I gather when I asked before the M9XX isn't a great pairing for the HD650s, would Jotunheim be appreciably better?  From what I can understand they have the same DAC but Jotunheim seems to have a better amp, so would it be worthwhile to swap?  I know the go-to recommendation for the 650/6XX is the Crack, but from what I can gather it wouldn't really play nice with my other headphones and I don't really want to spend that much money on an amp I'd only use for one pair of headphones (especially without knowing it'd reach the pseduo end-game level other people talk about with them).

Jotunheim has been a heavy go-to recommendation for the 650 as well. A lot of people have praised the synergy of this setup combined with the Modi Multibit. Save $100 buy getting the Jot with no DAC and put it towards the Modi Multi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back