Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,581 of 4,141
Some people like the aesthetics of a custom cable or have convinced themselves that it makes a significant difference in the sound. This is not an inexpensive hobby, and I can't begrudge people spending their own money as they see fit, even if it might seem illogical to others. A lot of people think it's crazy to even spend $200 on headphones. 

When shall we see cables made of exotic materials like carbon nanotubes and such, so that they can add one more zero to the price. Expensive cable == sound as stem cell == anti aging cream.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,582 of 4,141
Does burn-in time change the sound signature of these headphones? I'm finding the sound to be too in-your-face.
blink.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,583 of 4,141
I wouldn't worry to much about cables. Use that money and build a system around the 6xx. I added a norne audio cable after I did this and the difference was subtle by noticeable. Worth what I paid, probably not, but I'm an audio extremist. Just added this little amp to my collection

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,584 of 4,141
I wouldn't worry to much about cables. Use that money and build a system around the 6xx. I added a norne audio cable after I did this and the difference was subtle by noticeable. Worth what I paid, probably not, but I'm an audio extremist. Just added this little amp to my collection

Dynahi? 

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,587 of 4,141
I heard a cable made from Sommer SC-Peacock MKII cable with Neutrik connectors on an HD800 while swapping between the stock and some other high end expensive cable and I picked this as the best one of the 3. It added SUBTLE fullness and liveliness to the sound. The initial reaction of the owner of the expensive cable led me to believe that they didn't like my selection. Might have to do with their investment and that this was someone's DIY cable. In any case, the next cables I make will be from this material.

I'm not suggesting cables can completely augment sound because they can't UNLESS the original cable was a complete piece of crap (ie Philips X1 where just a replacement OFHC copper cable removed a veil imparted by the stock cable) but I think on average that's an extreme case.

I think a replacement cable should focus on style, form factor, durability and of course a "subtle" sound improvement if possible BUT at a fair price and not expecting exaggerated vast improvements in sound. If you have to go "high end", buy the materials and make one unless you just have cash to spare, I guess. The connectors, cable and other accessories are available in the open market.

Given the cost of dacs, amps, and headphones with respect to "high end" cables and weighing the potential improvements in sound of the first 3 investments relative to cables should be a no brainer where money should be put UNLESS you like fancy, aesthetic luxuries which is totally cool. Some people just want their rig to have that polish, awesome, just for the newbies, don't expect the exaggerated improvements.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,588 of 4,141
  Does burn-in time change the sound signature of these headphones? I'm finding the sound to be too in-your-face.
blink.gif

Not much if any, my HD6XXs literally arrived an hour ago and fresh out of the box, but going by memory, they sound the same as my 4 year old 650s I sold a few weeks ago.
But IMHO I’d call the 650s anything but “in-your-face” ?....... but I do find the current 650s and these HD6XXs clearer, less warm than my older HD580/600s.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,590 of 4,141
  Not much if any, my HD6XXs literally arrived an hour ago and fresh out of the box, but going by memory, they sound the same as my 4 year old 650s I sold a few weeks ago.
But IMHO I’d call the 650s anything but “in-your-face” ?....... but I do find the current 650s and these HD6XXs clearer, less warm than my older HD580/600s.

I agree, I wouldn't call these "in your face" at all.  They're pretty laid back to my ears.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,591 of 4,141
By in-your-face I mean that things seem forward to me. I don't feel much separation in instruments, and I think this is because of the warmth, liquid nature of what I'm hearing from these headphones.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,592 of 4,141
  By in-your-face I mean that things seem forward to me. I don't feel much separation in instruments, and I think this is because of the warmth, liquid nature of what I'm hearing from these headphones.

Ok...that's completely different....thing to keep in mind is that when the 300 ohm 650s  were developed they were never intended to be used on for low powered gear, in fact we didn't have the portable devices we have today.
The 650 were/are still (?) regarded as high end and a dedicated high powered class "A" amp was/is the way to go to get the best out of them, I can tell you first hand the 650/6XX are almost a completely different  phone when driven from my Fiio X3 II or my my Bryston gear (BCD-1 and class "A" BHA-1 head-amp, with the former the sound stage opens up dramatically as does the dynamics, the sound is smooth and effortless and one could keep cranking up the volume...... with the Fiio they're playable but one would be better off with a phone developed for portable listening.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #2,593 of 4,141
Ok...that's completely different....thing to keep in mind is that when the 300 ohm 650s  were developed they were never intended to be used on for low powered gear, in fact we didn't have the portable devices we have today.
The 650 were/are still (?) regarded as high end and a dedicated high powered class "A" amp was/is the way to go to get the best out of them, I can tell you first hand the 650/6XX are almost a completely different  phone when driven from my Fiio X3 II or my my Bryston gear (BCD-1 and class "A" BHA-1 head-amp, with the former the sound stage opens up dramatically as does the dynamics, the sound is smooth and effortless and one could keep cranking up the volume...... with the Fiio they're playable but one would be better off with a phone developed for portable listening.
Totally agree with that statement. Though pretty good out of my QP1R still much better out of the Bottlehead Crack and even better out of the Kenzie. Though they might get loud out of portables the dynamics is just better out of good desktop amp.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,594 of 4,141
Totally agree with that statement. Though pretty good out of my QP1R still much better out of the Bottlehead Crack and even better out of the Kenzie. Though they might get loud out of portables the dynamics is just better out of good desktop amp.

The HD600 series have always been known to be scalable .....better the gear....better the sound...
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,595 of 4,141

This is something, many people don't understand, including many reviewers of audio gear. They just say, it gets loud. Well, loudness has it's quality. Soundstage and instrument separation are two of the aspects that really improve with power on these phones, as compared to low powered amps. The other improvement is bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back