Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 3, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #61 of 4,141
Now I need to decide whether to purchase a fidelio x2, k7xx or hd6xx for my all day listening to everything. YouTube, music and gaming. It will be my headphones that I place on my head every time I sit in front of my computer which is probably 5 hours a day. Just so happens my birthday is November 8th. Need to decide quick cause I need to order something soon.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #62 of 4,141

(mass drops picture colors are accurate, my lighting sucks)

HD 6XX

This is pretty awesome sauce, why for a few reasons. I will explain a bit of my headphone Journey first. 

I have had two or three moments where I felt like I hit a real sweet spot of content with headphone listening. One of the most memorable times was when I finally got the Bottlehead Crack and Speedball amp and plugged my unmodded pair of 650's in. I was in heaven for a bit. Such wonderful tonality, musicality, and my music simply sounded correct or as the 'artist intended.  I have had about 6 pairs of HD650's with this HD 6XX being my 7th. The 6th pair I bought modded but completed the mods on it myself and now am enjoying tighter bass with more slam, and a more open and clear sound. Fast forward and I am hearing this little old timer scale like madd on more expensive gear.

People complain when I use the HD650 as my reference headphone for reviewing gear or comparing them tonally to other headphones but I would wager a bet that if you took a consensus as to which headphone hit the mark most tonally, the 650 and 600 would easily.... easily come out on top. So much so that many of us to this day wonder why no other company has managed to make that super HD650.

Modding

The HD6XX is awesome sauce because you can now buy one at an affordable price and mod the crap out of it... Heck for the price of one brand new HD650 you can buy two HD6XX and compare modded to stock and practically make your own SUPER HD650. 

There are tons of resources out there that can show you how to mod these and let me tell you... It is very easy. With all of the other pairs I had, I was scared to open them up and mod them and it wasn't up until a recent meet that I got to hear what a correctly modded 650 sounded like and knew from then that I needed to end my buying and selling of these suckers and hone in on getting it to sound like how I wanted to. 

HD6XX compared to my modded pair:

I simply now have a more open pair with much better bass slam (you know me 
tongue.gif
) cleaner, and richer mids, with a more open sound. 

I cant wait to see measurements of the HD6XX compared to stock to see if there is anything funk Sennhieser has done. 

What are these mods you mentioned?

It's been so long since I looked at my HD650. I have an aftermarket cable and removed the foam. What else is there to do?

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #63 of 4,141

but it's only $200, which is a great deal.

I get that - but assuming you have a 650 (which most of us do I am sure) why not spend the $200 elsewhere?

agreed. no reason to get these if you already have an HD650 and don't want a second one. The HD6xx also just killed the resale value of used HD650s.

New HD650 from amazon UK (shipped to the US) ~$275
New HD6XX from MassDrop: $199
Used HD650 (stock cable) price should be no more than $175 now.
Once the HD6XX starts to seell on the used market, both the MD and Senn version should sell for $150 (I predict March/April for this price) 

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #64 of 4,141
I know this is a pretty generic question but are the K7XXs and HD6XXs/HD650s different enough to justify owning both, or is it basically a Coke/Pepsi thing where they are indeed different but still cola at the end of the day (whereas something like the TH-X00s would be, I dunno, Mountain Dew)?

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #65 of 4,141
  I know this is a pretty generic question but are the K7XXs and HD6XXs/HD650s different enough to justify owning both, or is it basically a Coke/Pepsi thing where they are indeed different but still cola at the end of the day (whereas something like the TH-X00s would be, I dunno, Mountain Dew)?

I'm interested in this answer as well. I have some K7XX right now, but these intrigue me at this price. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #66 of 4,141
Modding is a good idea, didn't think of that. I could get a 6xx and mod my old 650...

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #67 of 4,141

The 650 and k7xx are very different headphones. Definitely worth owning both.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #68 of 4,141
Very tempting but I already have a modded vintage HD580 I bought new back in the day and a year old HD600.  That and frankly I personally prefer the 600 sound to the 650.  But holy cow... $200!  That is something else!

I see the Drop is INACTIVE right now.  Puzzled here... must have missed something. :frowning2:

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #70 of 4,141
This made life so much more difficult for me as a 598 owner, What do I get for ~$200

HD600 used: ugly paint scheme but very well loved
HD6xx new: great look, but the consensus seems 600 > 650
He-400s used: well regarded as being in the 600s class, worse build quality but it's planar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back