Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,841 of 4,141
Just got my HD6xx and Magni 3 last week. Super impressed with both.

I can't believe how great the 6xx sound. Price/performance ratio is crazy! Paired with the M3, these phones are so balanced and effortless and doing everything right. Bass hits with tight and clear thuds, trebles are all there without sibilance, mid range strong, etc...

For kicks I hooked up my 6xx directly to my Fiio X3ii. Even at high gain and max volume, the sound was not quite loud enough. And it was completely lifeless. So the amp buy was absolutely needed. The numbers didn't lie in this case.

Amp has a huge amount of headroom, so ready for even more challenging phones if I go that route. I'm at 9'oclock with low gain right now and the sound is more than loud enough in a quiet environment. No hissing, or other crap, even when turning the volume knob. Just all goodness.

Next I'm looking forward to comparing my Sines, even though they are a much different phone.

You have a good setup at truly bargain pricing. Goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to get excellent performance.

I would like to suggest that an external DAC such as the reasonably priced Schiit Modi Multibit would elevate your system even more. I have the FiiO X5ii as my digital source and feed it into my Modi MB (on to Project Ember & HD6XX) and I can say that although the FiiO DAC is pretty decent, the Modi MB trounces it. Of course I use the FiiO DAP as my portable on-the-go device (with Beyerdynamic DT1350).

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #3,842 of 4,141
I managed to eventually find my missing extended, tuneful bass and my extra soundstage width and some musicality...I found it inside a Fostex HP-A4BL.
Plugged my Hd6xx in and there it was all the time! :beyersmile:

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,843 of 4,141
You have a good setup at truly bargain pricing. Goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to get excellent performance.

I would like to suggest that an external DAC such as the reasonably priced Schiit Modi Multibit would elevate your system even more. I have the FiiO X5ii as my digital source and feed it into my Modi MB (on to Project Ember & HD6XX) and I can say that although the FiiO DAC is pretty decent, the Modi MB trounces it. Of course I use the FiiO DAP as my portable on-the-go device (with Beyerdynamic DT1350).

So you've A/B'd the Fiio vs. the Modi and think the difference is worth buying the $250 Modi Multi and having to use that extra device? Can you describe the differences you are hearing?

Having another toy like that (the Modi) would be fun in one way. I could have an actual "stack" then! In another way, I'm skeptical it will make a significant difference in the sound. Nothing close to the change I got from the Magni. And not worth the expense or having to deal with it.

On the plus side, I'm going to guess my X3ii is not too much different than your X5, maybe the X3 not quite as good. So...if the sound is much better to you in comparing the X5, maybe I'll get even more benefit vs. my X3. Would also have to decided if the $150 Modi would be good enough. Looks like I would need at least that 'cause I'd need the connections vs. the $99 version.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #3,844 of 4,141
So you've A/B'd the Fiio vs. the Modi and think the difference is worth buying the $250 Modi Multi and having to use that extra device? Can you describe the differences you are hearing?

Having another toy like that (the Modi) would be fun in one way. I could have an actual "stack" then! In another way, I'm skeptical it will make a significant difference in the sound. Nothing close to the change I got from the Magni. And not worth the expense or having to deal with it.

On the plus side, I'm going to guess my X3ii is not too much different than your X5, maybe the X3 not quite as good. So...if the sound is much better to you in comparing the X5, maybe I'll get even more benefit vs. my X3. Would also have to decided if the $150 Modi would be good enough. Looks like I would need at least that 'cause I'd need the connections vs. the $99 version.

I heard an audible difference. In my opinion I hear a cleaner and more detailed presentation with good instrument separation. However putting it into perspective, introducing a DAC into a system will elevate your listening experience but it's not as significant of a change as a headphone or an amp. I guess you have to determine whether $250 is a worthy bang for your buck or not. I certainly do especially considering that you can get into multibit performance fairly inexpensively...which is what I was originally driving at about not spending a fortune on really good quality system.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #3,845 of 4,141
Received HD 6XX today. These are neutral...which is my overall preference. I also love the balanced signature of the lows, mids, highs...the tonal ranges don’t eclipse each other. I’m using the Mojo amp to drive them.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #3,846 of 4,141
Just got my HD 6XX and it's getting a good burn-in, will 24 hours be sufficient?

Also, I have a question, I want to use a headphone case I already have for these guys and the only way they will fit is with cable removed, my question is if the connectors on these headphone will react well to being plugging and unplugging all the time....well not all the time but whenever I want to put them away in the case. I worry that by removing and reattaching the cable the connector/jack will become lose and eventually fail.

Thanks for any info on this!!

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #3,847 of 4,141
Just got my HD 6XX and it's getting a good burn-in, will 24 hours be sufficient?

Also, I have a question, I want to use a headphone case I already have for these guys and the only way they will fit is with cable removed, my question is if the connectors on these headphone will react well to being plugging and unplugging all the time....well not all the time but whenever I want to put them away in the case. I worry that by removing and reattaching the cable the connector/jack will become lose and eventually fail.

Thanks for any info on this!!
Well, mine came to reasonable life after only a couple of hours but have improved and livened up now that they have 14 hours or so on them. They are working brilliantly with the Mimby/Magni 3 combo! The amp has excellent control and while admittedly I do use very fine pure silver interconnects between the two, the results speak for themselves. The HD6XX are not as supremely open or immersive as my well used HD540 Ref1s, but nothing else is either, that's just something they are sublime at even if not as finely detailed as the HD6XX, which, incidentally, have no bass slowness or bloat with the Magni 3, or even the slightest hint of any 'midrange veiling'!! It's easy to listen right into the smallest of details, I'm really enjoying them.
As for the capsule inputs, the cables are a pretty tight fit and provided you don't force them in, there shouldn't be any issues. I've changed cables many time in the life of my 29 year old Senn Ref1s and they still work just fine, I've had to close a pin up a tad very gently a three or four times over recent years, but only because I've swapped cables a fair bit .... and tripped over them dancing some years ago :) You should be fine.

BTW If you want to try some other cables at a good price, take a look at the Venus Audio cables for the HD650s on eBay, they are garnering excellent feedback as a quality item way cheaper than Cardas etc. I made my own set and they are fantastic! And yes, they instantly improved upon the stock cable that comes with the HD6XX, smoother and extending the bass. Top end is gorgeous. Worth a shot.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #3,848 of 4,141
Well, mine came to reasonable life after only a couple of hours but have improved and livened up now that they have 14 hours or so on them. They are working brilliantly with the Mimby/Magni 3 combo! The amp has excellent control and while admittedly I do use very fine pure silver interconnects between the two, the results speak for themselves. The HD6XX are not as supremely open or immersive as my well used HD540 Ref1s, but nothing else is either, that's just something they are sublime at even if not as finely detailed as the HD6XX, which, incidentally, have no bass slowness or bloat with the Magni 3, or even the slightest hint of any 'midrange veiling'!! It's easy to listen right into the smallest of details, I'm really enjoying them.
As for the capsule inputs, the cables are a pretty tight fit and provided you don't force them in, there shouldn't be any issues. I've changed cables many time in the life of my 29 year old Senn Ref1s and they still work just fine, I've had to close a pin up a tad very gently a three or four times over recent years, but only because I've swapped cables a fair bit .... and tripped over them dancing some years ago :) You should be fine.

BTW If you want to try some other cables at a good price, take a look at the Venus Audio cables for the HD650s on eBay, they are garnering excellent feedback as a quality item way cheaper than Cardas etc. I made my own set and they are fantastic! And yes, they instantly improved upon the stock cable that comes with the HD6XX, smoother and extending the bass. Top end is gorgeous. Worth a shot.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed description on your experience with the HD 650. I am so looking forward to listening to it after the overnight burn in I will be doing tonight. Out the box it's sound is quite muffled and bunched up.

I will be making a 4.4mm balanced cable to use with my Sony PHA-2A. Not sure it's the source file level but it's barely loud enough at full volumn with high gain turned on. I am using my NWZ-A35 Walkman player as source hooked up to my PHA-2A using the USB cable that came with the PHA-2A. I am hoping that driving the HD 6XX using the balanced output of my PHA-2A will a big difference for these headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #3,849 of 4,141
[

I was actually looking for a good aftermarket cable with a 4.4mm plug but then I realize it's much cheaper to just cut the stock cable and solder on a 4.4mm connector. The stock cable can be had for a bit over $10 from Sennheiser.com when they're in stock.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #3,850 of 4,141
Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed description on your experience with the HD 650. I am so looking forward to listening to it after the overnight burn in I will be doing tonight. Out the box it's sound is quite muffled and bunched up.

I will be making a 4.4mm balanced cable to use with my Sony PHA-2A. Not sure it's the source file level but it's barely loud enough at full volumn with high gain turned on. I am using my NWZ-A35 Walkman player as source hooked up to my PHA-2A using the USB cable that came with the PHA-2A. I am hoping that driving the HD 6XX using the balanced output of my PHA-2A will a big difference for these headphones.
Should you choose to do so, Venus Audio will make up a cable to suit you, sometimes they take their time to answer emails, but they always answer them. In fact, I'm sure they sell balanced cables on line too. The soundstage is more expansive with the Mogami cable as well. Voices far right and left have just as much solidity as central vocals, it's more unusual than you might think.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #3,851 of 4,141
Should you choose to do so, Venus Audio will make up a cable to suit you, sometimes they take their time to answer emails, but they always answer them. In fact, I'm sure they sell balanced cables on line too. The soundstage is more expansive with the Mogami cable as well. Voices far right and left have just as much solidity as central vocals, it's more unusual than you might think.

Thanks for the referral I will take a look at their offerings and the Mogami cable

I think I'm going to go with the stock cable with a 4.4mm plug for now, do the burn-in, get used to the sound after it has stabilized some what and then go with an upgraded cable later so I can really appreciate the difference the new cable makes.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #3,852 of 4,141
Thanks for the referral I will take a look at their offerings and the Mogami cable

I think I'm going to go with the stock cable with a 4.4mm plug for now, do the burn-in, get used to the sound after it has stabilized some what and then go with an upgraded cable later so I can really appreciate the difference the new cable makes.

Thanks again
No wurries :)

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #3,853 of 4,141
You can often call Sennheiser to get the cables.

Wait until business hours.
1-(877)-736-6434 option 1
please hold
when talking to the agent, ask if they have Article No. 092885 in stock.

For those of you under 30, your "SmartPhone" can also be used for direct, point to point voice communications. Use the "Phone" app and enter the number above.

They are in commonly in stock for phone orders, but not enough stock for the web. $10.08 order total. When you call, they will want to charge you $6.50 shipping. Just politely point out that there is no shipping on the web site, and that you would have ordered it on the web site if you could. The guy just took the shipping off the bill; no problem.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,854 of 4,141

"muffled" is a great word for what my HD6XX sounded like without my Magni 3 amp. Like, "Hello? Are you in there somewhere?"

With the amp, they open up completely. Great details, air, quickness, and bass impact. At the same time completely balanced and highly accurate. I don't hear any "veil" and at the same time I don't get any harsh treble. Right in the middle. In contrast, with most songs, I hear a bit of harsh treble with my Sines and have to EQ them down -3db@16Hz.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #3,855 of 4,141
You can often call Sennheiser to get the cables.

Wait until business hours.
1-(877)-736-6434 option 1
please hold
when talking to the agent, ask if they have Article No. 092885 in stock.

For those of you under 30, your "SmartPhone" can also be used for direct, point to point voice communications. Use the "Phone" app and enter the number above.

They are in commonly in stock for phone orders, but not enough stock for the web. $10.08 order total. When you call, they will want to charge you $6.50 shipping. Just politely point out that there is no shipping on the web site, and that you would have ordered it on the web site if you could. The guy just took the shipping off the bill; no problem.

Thanks for the reminder. I did call them a while back for cable for my HD 598 and a super nice lady told me just that, call even though it's not available for online ordering and they might be able to help me out with a set. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back