Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 23, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #3,856 of 4,141
"muffled" is a great word for what my HD6XX sounded like without my Magni 3 amp. Like, "Hello? Are you in there somewhere?"

With the amp, they open up completely. Great details, air, quickness, and bass impact. At the same time completely balanced and highly accurate. I don't hear any "veil" and at the same time I don't get any harsh treble. Right in the middle. In contrast, with most songs, I hear a bit of harsh treble with my Sines and have to EQ them down -3db@16Hz.

I just got my HD 6XX yesterday and I have yet to listen to them direct on my media player (Sony NW-A35N) so the muffled sound I was referring to was thought my Sony PHA-2A.

Well after a night of continuous playing hooked up to my portable rig this morning I woke up to slightly opened up HD 6XX. Now that might just be all in my head being that I listened to them before my morning cup of tea compared to yesterday afternoon, freshly rested or awaken hearing vs mid day hearing.

Whether in all in my head or they actually sound 'better', they are more enjoyable to listen to so I'm glad where this is going. :wink:

BTW, I totally agree with you that they are very smooth 'middle' sounding, the details are there but no harsh anything from these guys.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #3,859 of 4,141
Why not just try it and see?

You could also check for reviews of people who use the X5iii with a HD600 or 650. A quick search seems to indicate the X5iii is sufficient to power them at a basic level, but you would likely see some improvement with a dedicated amp.

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3,860 of 4,141
I'm considering the Massdrop HD6XX to use with my Fiio X5iii. Do you all think I'll need an amp as well, or should the X5iii be strong enough by itself?

I have the FiiO X5ii (not iii) and although it drives the HD650, insufficiently in my opinion. These 300 ohm headphones benefit from being driven properly by a beefier amp in order to get the best out of them.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,861 of 4,141
Hi, say if I have a choice between the HD650 and HD6XX at similar prices, which should I opt to go with? Reason the HD6XX cost that much are due to the vendor selling at a profit and shipping from the States to where I am plus taxes, hence the similar price tag. Both are brand new by the way.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #3,862 of 4,141
Hi, say if I have a choice between the HD650 and HD6XX at similar prices, which should I opt to go with? Reason the HD6XX cost that much are due to the vendor selling at a profit and shipping from the States to where I am plus taxes, hence the similar price tag. Both are brand new by the way.

I’d say whichever is cheaper. If you like the color scheme on one or the 1/8” vs 1/4” cord go with that one. To my knowledge they should sound the same (beyond normal unit to unit variation).

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #3,863 of 4,141
Just got my HD6XX's in the post the other day after ordering them back in Dec.

First impressions:
Wow, great detail. I've also got some Momentum 2's and B&W P7s. The HD6XX is actually the first open back headphone I've owned (since I'm usually listening in places where closed back is required). They definitely sound a step up from the Momentums and P7's in terms of clarity and separation of instruments. Certainly harder to drive though - my little Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS can't do them justice, but from a Cowon Plenue M they sound superb (on paper, both of these have 2 Vrms output, but the XS quite noticeably can't handle them)

I have zero burn in on them, so will see how they open up with time. I'm thinking these are keepers, will stay in my collection for years!

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #3,864 of 4,141
I received a pair of the HD 6XX HP’s on March 22nd. First listen...didn’t wow me. Over the week they’ve either opened up or my ears have acclimated...or possibly both? These are amazing! I’m driving them with a MOJO. I have AEONs & Momentum M2s...which are no slouches in their own regard...but these are simply ‘better’ in overall sound quality. If I could only have one pair...it would easily be these. I’m stunned that a 199.00 pair of cans would best models costing 3x to 4x more. I realize these don’t fit into the portable carry category...but I’m tempted to challenge that & just play them at low volume while @ work. These are nirvana on a budget.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #3,865 of 4,141
I received a pair of the HD 6XX HP’s on March 22nd. First listen...didn’t wow me. Over the week they’ve either opened up or my ears have acclimated...or possibly both? These are amazing! I’m driving them with a MOJO. I have AEONs & Momentum M2s...which are no slouches in their own regard...but these are simply ‘better’ in overall sound quality. If I could only have one pair...it would easily be these. I’m stunned that a 199.00 pair of cans would best models costing 3x to 4x more. I realize these don’t fit into the portable carry category...but I’m tempted to challenge that & just play them at low volume while @ work. These are nirvana on a budget.
Interesting impressions. I too find them remarkably close in quality to my Aeon's given the price disparity. Personally I still prefer the overall crisper detail of my Aeon's. If I use the 6xx, I certainly don't feel like I'm immediately missing out.

Even though I've recently treated myself to a pair of Clear's and can't really see the 6xx getting much head time, there's something about them that leaves me content to keep a hold of them long term.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3,867 of 4,141
B2D3ABAC-DFD3-4C19-B563-B3E3BAEB059F.jpeg 64505AF5-7FD4-4DB2-B64E-924B3DAF1CC2.jpeg 292F7B07-E377-4C81-A62D-AD84CD67BFC7.jpeg I purchased the Dekoni lambskin earpads...the comfy factor went up a notch. Also thought I’d share a couple of dynamic albums...deadmau5 release is a Tidal exclusive...Mathias Eick can also be found on Tidal/Spotify as well. I forgot to mention Gogo Penquins latest release...A Humdrum Star.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3,868 of 4,141
Hi! I am using everyday the Sennheiser IE-800 with iBasso DX-90 and Ray Samuels' Mustang P-51 amp.

Do You think I could be satisfied of the Sennheiser HD6XX, driven by a good amp? Or I should buy different headphones?
Thank You very much!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,869 of 4,141
I have the FiiO X5ii (not iii) and although it drives the HD650, insufficiently in my opinion. These 300 ohm headphones benefit from being driven properly by a beefier amp in order to get the best out of them.

I just wanted to echo this. I got the HD 6XX last month. My X5ii is not suitable to drive them. But they sound great with my Fiio E12 hooked up to the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back