Sennheiser PX 100-II Review (Pics)
Jun 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

BlackSushi222

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, to quickly introduce myself, I am quite new to the whole audiophile world. I don't consider myself as one, just a person who likes products that fulfill my needs and give the best quality for the money (Since nowadays, you wanna save a penny if you can).

Now, before I start, I'd like to mention that the only types of audio equipment I have ever owned are the Koss Porta Pros (newest version I believe), Sony headphones (with my walkman 6 years ago xD), Logitech Headset, Logitech X-530, Zune, Ipod Touch 3g(I use now), and Creative X-Fi sound card.

Over the years I have also became "bass" prone. I love songs with tons of bass, and the presence of bass guitars playing. However the music I listen to is practically everything ranging from rock, rap, pop, r&b, reggaeton, electronica, country, classical, the whole 9 yards.

So here it is, at the store (Saturn) I stumbled across some Sennheiser headphones and stopped at the PX100s and the PX100-IIs. I have heard alot about the PX100s being great for portability and sound quality, also on the spot I tested the PX100s they had on the wall. I instead opted for the PX100-IIs since I would assume they would be better, even though they didn't have them to sample. For a little more Euros, it was a choice that didn't break my wallet.

They came in a nice compact package like this.

The box was smaller than the ones from the PX100s, and included a pouch instead of a plastic case seen here.

The only headphones that I can compare these with are the Koss Porta Pros, so I'll mention those every once in awhile.

Sound:
Right away fresh from the box I noticed the bass was very obvious, even more than the PX100s I have tested at the store. The initial listening experience was just bass to me with mids and treble kinda there, so I let a few minutes of songs go through to warm up the drivers. Right through watching the FIFA 2010 World Cup (England vs Algeria ;D), all the frequencies came out beautifully! I heard sounds (instruments, etc) that I haven't heard before. I was already blown away by the Porta Pros, but these PX100-IIs added an extra layer of detail to the mix. So that was a nice surprise. At this point, the PPs in comparison had more sparkly highs and a bit better 3d soundstage. The PX100s at the store were also more on the treble side. The PX100-IIs beats them in mids and lowish lows? and bass. I would assume from the mods I have read, adding HD414s big yellow fluffy earpads would bring out the highs more all for a low price.

Comfort:
Alright, this mostly applies for people with watermelon heads like mine, but I found these to be less comfortable than the Porta Pros. Initially they were great, but after like 45mins my ears start to hurt. The padding on top are nice though, and sit great. The Porta Pros definitely win in this department, since 1. They have the comfort setting 2. is more flexible, less rigid, and the speakers move more freely. So I was able to wear the PPs for hours on end. I can't say for the PX100s since I only had them on for 2 sample songs.

Durability:
Just by looking at the PX100-IIs at first sight, they look more sturdier than the PX100 and PPs. They are also heavier than both, but still light in terms of being a portable headphone. If anything happens, you have the 2 year warranty to back you up, though Koss gives you a lifetime warranty.

Extras:
These only came with a pouch, instead of the traditional plastic "ritual" case. As much as I like the plastic case, the pouch was not bad at all either. I was able to fit the headphones, my ipod touch, and IEM all in there.
In comparison to the PPs, they also give you a pouch, but also an adapter for the big equipment. The pouch for the PP is rather small, and I always found it tricky to put the cans in, despite making the PPs as small as possible.

Conclusion:
Well there it is guys. Hopefully over time when burning them in, I would get even more out of these headphones. But still I believe for this price point you simply can't go wrong. Simply fantastic for mp3 players such as my Ipod Touch. You can also use them for gaming, I used these with COD4. Though I think the PPs had more of a 3D feel as mentioned be4 and the volume was more sensitive.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 25
Ill have to go and listen to them somewhere now.
Thanks for the review. 
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 25
Ok, so I got a hold of some HD414 pads to add comfort, and they indeed live up to what their suppose to do.

I tried 2 configurations

HD414 pads not reversed or quarter modded: The bass lessens and becomes airy, and the treble comes out a bit and words with "s" are harsh.

HD414 pads stacked on top of the original pads: Bass lessens but not as much as the HD414 pads by themselves. Treble comes out as well. Songs with words that start with "s" like "sexy" sound kinda sharp. The volume is reduced by 1 level on an Ipod Touch. Comfort is amazing, but ears get warm quickly.

The cans with their original pads have punchier bass since it's closer to your ears, but the comfort is less for big heads. I always have to readjust every 15-30 minutes and the edges of my ears are red and sting a bit.

So if you like these changes on your future PX100-II's, go for it.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 25
I have these from six months now... And I was never really able to appreciate them: to my ears they sound dark, bassy, with thick, fat mids and distant trebles. worst than old PX100.

After reading your review I decided to give them a second chance. Listening to them "flat" i could not stand that slow, bassy sound. But one thing I've found is that they react very well to EQing. So I've played a bit to reduce that bass and to bring forward the mids and trebles.

I'm still on experimenting, but I'm starting to like them much more, as I've said they are EQ friendly and do not distort at all, this let me think they have some potential... By the way, nice review, thanks for sharing 
smile.gif

My Regards
K.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 25
Thx for the input! :)

To my untrained ears, I don't know exactly what is "dark" sounding, so to me these sound great as is.

However, even tho Ipod EQs are really limited(suck), I tried to experiment with Treble Booster, Bass Reducer, and Spoken Word. Treble Booster really brings out the highs more, tho for me in some songs it's a bit too shiny n fatiguing, especially where the 's' come out. Maybe I need to get used to it since I have like virgin ears towards treble, but been around the block with tons of bass. I guess we all have different tastes and ears.

What do you play these with btw? What's your source? Also an Ipod?

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 25
I've still got my PX100's.  Love'em - paired with Ipod for all general pupose is amazing sound quality.  I preferred mine with the Ipod bass reduction feature.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 25
Indeed, great headphones for on the go with an Ipod, no need to lug around a huge full-can to get great sound :).

Work fairly well when pulled to my pc, but I think I'd rather get a full-can for PC purposes.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks for the review and impressions Blackshushi222.

Both the Sennheiser PX100 and PX100-II are really good value for money.  It's not unusual that we have customers 'upgrade' to a full size headphone costing much more and come back to us saying they prefer their old PX100!

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 25
At 95% of my music time I listen to hard & heavy, from Deep Purple to death metal and almost everything in between. Different tastes are maybe one of the first reasons that can make we like a headphone or not.

By "dark" sounding I mean that balance is tuned towards the low side of the range, the mids and trebles are distant and "weak" and the music just does not sound clear enough.

Ipods are not known to have a very good EQ, and my source is maybe not much better (Sony nwz-a816, no amp) but it has a custom EQ option (with only five bands) that, as I've said, copes very well with the PX100-II. It's two days of listening now mainly while commuting, I think I've found the right setting and enjoying them much more now, to the point I regret not having tuned them a bit earlier (I have them since the last Christmas).

There is clarity and  details hidden behind their bassy character and is not that difficult to bring them out. This morning, while going to work, I've found myself almost headbanging in the streets while listening to Riot's "Run For Your Life" 
L3000.gif

Don't worry, my ears are not more trained than yours....

Regards
K.

Quote:
Thx for the input! :)

To my untrained ears, I don't know exactly what is "dark" sounding, so to me these sound great as is.

However, even tho Ipod EQs are really limited(suck), I tried to experiment with Treble Booster, Bass Reducer, and Spoken Word. Treble Booster really brings out the highs more, tho for me in some songs it's a bit too shiny n fatiguing, especially where the 's' come out. Maybe I need to get used to it since I have like virgin ears towards treble, but been around the block with tons of bass. I guess we all have different tastes and ears.

What do you play these with btw? What's your source? Also an Ipod?

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 25
@shaun_g No problem, thx for your input, now that u mention people going to full-cans and afterwards still find their px100s n 100-IIs amazing, I think for now I'll hold off buying a new set of full sized cans.

@kurtzi I'm glad you got back into using your PX100-IIs! You're right, the treble and details can unlock very easily thru an EQ. Too bad for me I don't have frequency bands to adjust, but I now found the "acoustic" setting on the Ipod brings out everything just right where I want it! And for some "treble booster", but for me it's a bit too much on that setting.

I also tried the HD414 pads, and right off the bat the treble came out quite well. Bass got a bit sloppy tho, idk why, maybe the material of the pads and thickness and distance from the ears.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 25
Here is a picture of my PX100-IIs with unmodded HD414s pads! I noticed with them they sound like the "acoustic" EQ on the Ipod, this time without even setting it, so its great.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 25
Hehe, that's true. Another noticeable difference was that the volume lowered by 1 increment, so be aware of that.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 25
Running this exact same setup of PX100-ii and 414 pads right now. I have a quite large head and the comfort is so very nice. Going to try the originals + 414 pad soon, OP I see you settled on only 414 pads, may I ask why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back