Sennheiser PX 100-II Review (Pics)
Jul 7, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #17 of 25
Also here's my comment on the 414 pads vs regular pads:

-bigger soundstage and better imaging on the 414 pads. i much prefer the 414 because of this and because they are more comfortable
-highs appear to be more fatiguing with the 414 pads. hopefully i can get used to this (wearing ears down in a way, lol?)
-bass is less, but still there.
-general impact of things is slightly less, not a deal-breaker by any means

I tried the 414 + regular pads and my initial impression was that the tonal balance of things got thrown off in an unpleasant way and it was hot and uncomfortable. I'll be sticking with the 414's for now, though I am curious about the PX-200 pads.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Also here's my comment on the 414 pads vs regular pads:

-bigger soundstage and better imaging on the 414 pads. i much prefer the 414 because of this and because they are more comfortable
-highs appear to be more fatiguing with the 414 pads. hopefully i can get used to this (wearing ears down in a way, lol?)
-bass is less, but still there.
-general impact of things is slightly less, not a deal-breaker by any means

I tried the 414 + regular pads and my initial impression was that the tonal balance of things got thrown off in an unpleasant way and it was hot and uncomfortable. I'll be sticking with the 414's for now, though I am curious about the PX-200 pads.

Yup! That is exactly what I report as well from using the 414 pads. I mainly got them because the foam actually irritated my ears, or so to say, it was too thin + the clamp pushed and hurt my outer ear.

I have never tried the PX200-II pads! I would like to give that a try as well someday. If you get it, please report back on the results :).

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #19 of 25
I was looking through and found the HD414 pads, but also found the HD424 pads.

They look similar though they have different thickness I reckon.

So any opinions on the HD424 pads? Thanks all!

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 25
I just bought a set of these for casual listening to TV or music. They have a very noticeable midbass emphasis out of the box. The midrange and highs are decent. They are lightweight and fairly comfortable for me (YMMV), although I find the earpads a little scratchy compared to the soft foam covering on the ancient Sony "MegaBass" phones that these are destined to replace. IMO they are not "audiophile quality" (but then neither was the Sony). My Yuin PK-2 earbuds have a flatter frequency response than these and no midbass emphasis.

My only major complaint is that the cord is maybe a foot too short.

They do fill the purpose I bought them for. But I'll reserve my AKG K702s for serious listening.

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 25
I had a listen to the px100 II's, and have owned the px100.  Much more midbass, very dark, but also very smooth.  Not as detailed as I would have liked since I'm a detail freak...I think they're probably the best for the class of headphones they are.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
I just bought a set of these for casual listening to TV or music. They have a very noticeable midbass emphasis out of the box. The midrange and highs are decent. They are lightweight and fairly comfortable for me (YMMV), although I find the earpads a little scratchy compared to the soft foam covering on the ancient Sony "MegaBass" phones that these are destined to replace. IMO they are not "audiophile quality" (but then neither was the Sony). My Yuin PK-2 earbuds have a flatter frequency response than these and no midbass emphasis.

My only major complaint is that the cord is maybe a foot too short.

They do fill the purpose I bought them for. But I'll reserve my AKG K702s for serious listening.

Does the bass over power the treble ?

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #23 of 25
I was able to get them at 1/2 off during a Future Shop sale, and these are easily the best deal in my collection.

I find that I needed to add a 4.5dB treble bump around 6.2kHz and another around 14kHz upward to really bring the treble on par with the mids, and of course the bass is over emphasized. Yet the result is an excellent "walking around" open headphone, where you want a little extra oomph on the bass.

From Slayer to Jakalope to Front Line Assembly, these really satisfy. I'll have to try a few other genres when I get the chance.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #25 of 25
Old thread I know but I got these cans a couple of days ago and if you are interested in them, here is what you should do:

Get Viper4Android and try the IRS-correctionfilters (somebody over at xda posted/makes them, I think there is a thread here at headfi as well, it's the same guy). There are two, one tuned to a "reference" sound and one with more bass than the reference one. I can't stand these cans without those IRS-filters. They open them up and tame the bass.

Or you could get the HD414 pads. With them, the PX 100-iis are ok right out of the box and the comfort is a lot better. But they do look goofy as hell. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back