Sennheiser Orpheus Question
Nov 7, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #46 of 97
Amen.....Holy crab......wow!!!!! this is one of the best selections of cans of the forum, I have never seen before so many good cans to gether, just an Stax, and an a wooden AT are missing, honesty buddy, you can talk of headphones to anybody, with all the authority of the earth, congrats for this huge nice selection...!!!!! You are not missing anything in headphone reproduction, just get in touch with Nik and borrow the tube monster to power those R10 for the whole nirvana!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #47 of 97
Well, some headphones of my collection are missing in the pic. Friends and my brothers have borrowed them.

Wooden AT will arrive me next week. In germany AT headphones are almost unknown.

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
And even the gold-plated Sennheiser HD-1000...
eek.gif

They are very good looking, but the sound is horrible! Cheap speakers from a cheap Senn' HD (435?) are used.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Here is Robythecat's picture:

drool...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif

That picture is getting saved on my PC... never seen so much sweetness all together in one place before. Sheesh, amazing.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #53 of 97
Quote:

Originally posted by robythecat
Which one will drive best the R-10?

Well, Meier-Audio's Prehead is the top-of-the-line headphone amp, but Dr. Meier really seems to prefer detailed sound - he offers the AD8610 opamps as an option, which is warmer (!!) than the default LM6171 - which should suit the R10s better, IMO, although I haven't heard the combo before...

You should contact Dr. Meier and see what he thinks.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #54 of 97
Thanks all for the advice.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #55 of 97
Nov 7, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Well, Meier-Audio's Prehead is the top-of-the-line headphone amp, but Dr. Meier really seems to prefer detailed sound - he offers the AD8610 opamps as an option, which is warmer (!!) than the default LM6171

eek.gif

Sheesh, I'm getting shock therapy galore this morning. It's hard to believe that an op-amp could be more detailed than the AD8610/8620. Sheesh, the latter is so detailed (to my ears) that it loves to bring out the grain in any source or recording that has the slightest bit of grain to it... hard to imagine that something could top it in the detail department.

As long as we're on the topic... the AD8610/20's strongest point imo (and based on my sources) is its tonal sweetness and fluidity... you get a sonic quality like a box of delicious candies -- very rich and satisfying.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #57 of 97
Quote:

Originally posted by robythecat
???? Sennheiser says that this is not true.

Sometimes it's best to ignore Sovkiller, as he seems to have a tendency to misremember and confuse stuff like that.

FYI, here's the model numbers...

Orpheus headphones - HE90
Orpheus amplifier - HEV90

Baby Orpheus headphones - HE60
Baby Orpheus amplifier - HEV70

As Grinch said, the schematics for the HEV90 do exist, though in the opinon of one of the most experienced audiophile engineers on this board you can do much better. Definitely ask zzz about a Gilmore Hybrid, you won't regret it. Best electrostatic headphone amplifier design in the world, even better than the Stax T2.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #58 of 97
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
As Grinch said, the schematics for the HEV90 do exist, though in the opinon of one of the most experienced audiophile engineers on this board you can do much better. Definitely ask zzz about a Gilmore Hybrid, you won't regret it. Best electrostatic headphone amplifier design in the world, even better than the Stax T2.

Only if you like the sound of tubes (which was not unevident when I listened to the one at the last Seattle minimeet, it does clearly sound like tube gear and no mistaking it)... otherwise, a KGSS might be a better choice for solid state types. All IMO.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #59 of 97
Enough of the wankfest guys. I now see that you NEED to have a good stock of headphones to be accepted by all you newbie super posters. It won't do talking about it, you need a pic to believe it. It is pretty ridiculous.

Robythecat, Audio Valve is also in Germany, you should have a look at the RKV. It might not be what your searching for, but it is worthy of a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back