Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 (MTW2)
May 4, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #61 of 228
Is very good. Is easy hearing the people if the music isn't loud.

Maybe you aren't interesting in mw07 plus, but the awareness mode is similar, is very good. 07 plus is having similar price and in this moment I thinking this is better option for various reasons, but I'm making the final decision and writing more comments in 3-4 day after I testing more.
Having read your opinions in the PX7 and Momentum 3 threads, and found them very useful and accurate, I would like to know your thoughts about MTW.2 and MW07 plus. I own the MTW.1 and love it, but I would like an upgrade thinking in the best precise&enjoyable sound. By the way, I tried the Momentum 3 following your advices and their sound blew me away, but I couldn't keep them due to ergonomic issues. Now I am hoping the Shure AONIC 50 will satisfy the high expectations that the Momentum 3 created in me.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #62 of 228
Having read your opinions in the PX7 and Momentum 3 threads, and found them very useful and accurate, I would like to know your thoughts about MTW.2 and MW07 plus. I own the MTW.1 and love it, but I would like an upgrade thinking in the best precise&enjoyable sound. By the way, I tried the Momentum 3 following your advices and their sound blew me away, but I couldn't keep them due to ergonomic issues. Now I am hoping the Shure AONIC 50 will satisfy the high expectations that the Momentum 3 created in me.

Hello Roberk. Thank you for your opinion of my posts.

In this moment today, if you asking me, I think mw07 plus is better, I'm 80%-85% sure. But is important I testing different aspects to say I'm 100% sure. Maybe you don't know but I starting a thread of mw07 plus in November 2019. Here's the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/master-dynamic-mw07-plus-impressions.919540/

I will posting here my comments and decision in 3-4 days, but now I think I knowing the answer already.

May 5, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #63 of 228
Man I was hoping to get these. But for the price being charged in Japan, almost 40,000 yen or like $382, I’ll just stick to my Sony WF-1000XM3 and Soundcore Liberty Pro 2 buds. This is sad.

May 5, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #64 of 228

I decide finishing my comparison last night because you thinking my comments in the past helping you, and I'm thinking you wanting to know soon my opinion (I understand this feeling). I going to bed very late last night because is your fault!

This is the short answer. The mtw2 and mw07 plus costing the same, 299,00 euros here in Europe. For me the mw07plus is the winner, this is very clear for me.

This is long answer now. The sound is very good in both iems. I speak about this difference in the sound later down in this post. For me the 2 iems offering the best sound in bt earphones, and better than many expensive (bt) headphones. I prefer mw07 sound only a little more.

The problems with mtw2: The battery in the earphones is never 7 hours like sennheiser is saying. I getting 5h 15m or 5h 25m maximum and I don't using ambient or anc modes! With the mw07 plus I getting normally 9 hours or more in the same situation. This is very, very big difference, is almost the double. Master 7 dynamic saying 10 hours and 9 or 9,5 is close with reality, 5 or 5,5 from suppose 7 isn't close with the specifications of sennheiser.

The volume is sometimes not sufficient loud. This is for some classical music or old albums of rock music, is more problematic when the musical moments are quiet. This is more and very important in classical music. For the modern recordings mtw2 is sufficient loud because the music is recorded very loud in 20 or more years.

It is hiss when you using anc with mtw2. This is strange, is very strange because the anc is very, very bad, but even here I hearing hiss!

Anc is terrible. The isolation of the mtw2 is good because the iem is inside in the ears, is designed in this way, is not because anc is on! I have making effort really strong for hearing the difference! I'm using my fan in 4 settings and I finally hear a difference, but the difference is nothing really, isn't obvious, you must paying a lot of attention. The anc isn't real in mtw2 and that is the reality. And, like I saying before, I hearing hiss with the anc on too!

The mtw2 is better buying decision than mtw1, this is obvious. More battery in the earphones and in the case. I can't testing the problem of the battery of the model 1 now with model 2 because I using the model 2 every day, but the improvement is many probable because this is big, big problem with model 1.

The comfort is better too, the earphones little more small, only a little, but this making real difference in experience. With model 1 I having little (not big) pain in outside of my ears after only 30 or 45 minutes and I needing resting after 1,5 hours.

The volume modulation of the mtw2 is better, isn't jumping big steps like model one. And is nice sennheiser making possible you don't tapping by mistake so the action is waiting little more long time for activation. In model 1 sometimes this is little frustration, this mistake the tapping and you are activating something you don't wanting.

Is nice you can changing the functions of the tapping now in at the app, but, and I don't understanding the reason, the equaliser is very bad still, isn't different than in model 1.

The mw07 plus is better for me for this reasons:

The construction is many better, the earphones and the case having really very good quality, you feeling this is very good quality product. The mwt2 isn't feel cheap exactly but isn't sensation of premium construction in the earphones or the case.

The touch buttons in the mw07 plus are outside, isn't tapping. This important aspect after 6 months is big difference, and is one aspect I love completely in this earphones. The sensation is very clear when you putting the volume up or down or you're playing the next or the previous track or you're putting ambient or anc on or off. The buttons isn't make sound or click like you can hearing in mw07 model 1, but in model 2 (plus) is quiet completely, you only feeling very clear what you're activating.

The maximum volume in mw07 plus isn't loud like some iems, but is very clearly more loud than mtw2! For me I never having problems with the maximum volume with mw07 plus in 6 months, never. In the few days with mtw2 yes, sometimes, isn't a lot, but yes, sometimes.

The battery of the mw07 plus is very better than mtw2, this is true in the earphones and in the beautiful design and construction of the metal case. With the mw07 plus you obtaining close of 40 hours like the specifications the manufacturer is saying. With sennheiser you're not obtaining close to 28 hours of the specifications. This is bad for a top of the quality bt earphone, specially when this is the second model!

The sound. The sound of the mtw2 is very, very good, and in my memory isn't different from the model 1, this is very good sennheiser isn't change the sound. But for me the mw07 plus is sounding better, not a lot more better, but yes, better. the mw07 plus is having more instrument separation, and in complicated passage or the music very busy with many instruments this is more evident. But the mwt2 is having a little more big sound and sometimes a little more deep in the stage. I think mtw2 is more exciting in sound for the quick impression specially in pop music, is little more big, but mw07 plus is more accuracy, subtlety and hi-fi, better definition.

The anc of the mw07 plus in my opinion isn'y very good comparing with bt headphones like bose and sony, but when I comparing with mtw2 then mw07 plus anc is very good! This explaining only how I think anc in mtw2 really is, is very terrible.

When I thinking of the complete product, for me the mw07 plus is very clearly the more better iem.

May 5, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #65 of 228
I decide finishing my comparison last night because you thinking my comments in the past helping you, and I'm thinking you wanting to know soon my opinion (I understand this feeling). I going to bed very late last night because is your fault!

This is the short answer. The mtw2 and mw07 plus costing the same, 299,00 euros here in Europe. For me the mw07plus is the winner, this is very clear for me.

This is long answer now. The sound is very good in both iems. I speak about this difference in the sound later down in this post. For me the 2 iems offering the best sound in bt earphones, and better than many expensive (bt) headphones. I prefer mw07 sound only a little more.

The problems with mtw2: The battery in the earphones is never 7 hours like sennheiser is saying. I getting 5h 15m or 5h 25m maximum and I don't using ambient or anc modes! With the mw07 plus I getting normally 9 hours or more in the same situation. This is very, very big difference, is almost the double. Master 7 dynamic saying 10 hours and 9 or 9,5 is close with reality, 5 or 5,5 from suppose 7 isn't close with the specifications of sennheiser.

The volume is sometimes not sufficient loud. This is for some classical music or old albums of rock music, is more problematic when the musical moments are quiet. This is more and very important in classical music. For the modern recordings mtw2 is sufficient loud because the music is recorded very loud in 20 or more years.

It is hiss when you using anc with mtw2. This is strange, is very strange because the anc is very, very bad, but even here I hearing hiss!

Anc is terrible. The isolation of the mtw2 is good because the iem is inside in the ears, is designed in this way, is not because anc is on! I have making effort really strong for hearing the difference! I'm using my fan in 4 settings and I finally hear a difference, but the difference is nothing really, isn't obvious, you must paying a lot of attention. The anc isn't real in mtw2 and that is the reality. And, like I saying before, I hearing hiss with the anc on too!

The mtw2 is better buying decision than mtw1, this is obvious. More battery in the earphones and in the case. I can't testing the problem of the battery of the model 1 now with model 2 because I using the model 2 every day, but the improvement is many probable because this is big, big problem with model 1.

The comfort is better too, the earphones little more small, only a little, but this making real difference in experience. With model 1 I having little (not big) pain in outside of my ears after only 30 or 45 minutes and I needing resting after 1,5 hours.

The volume modulation of the mtw2 is better, isn't jumping big steps like model one. And is nice sennheiser making possible you don't tapping by mistake so the action is waiting little more long time for activation. In model 1 sometimes this is little frustration, this mistake the tapping and you are activating something you don't wanting.

Is nice you can changing the functions of the tapping now in at the app, but, and I don't understanding the reason, the equaliser is very bad still, isn't different than in model 1.

The mw07 plus is better for me for this reasons:

The construction is many better, the earphones and the case having really very good quality, you feeling this is very good quality product. The mwt2 isn't feel cheap exactly but isn't sensation of premium construction in the earphones or the case.

The touch buttons in the mw07 plus are outside, isn't tapping. This important aspect after 6 months is big difference, and is one aspect I love completely in this earphones. The sensation is very clear when you putting the volume up or down or you're playing the next or the previous track or you're putting ambient or anc on or off. The buttons isn't make sound or click like you can hearing in mw07 model 1, but in model 2 (plus) is quiet completely, you only feeling very clear what you're activating.

The maximum volume in mw07 plus isn't loud like some iems, but is very clearly more loud than mtw2! For me I never having problems with the maximum volume with mw07 plus in 6 months, never. In the few days with mtw2 yes, sometimes, isn't a lot, but yes, sometimes.

The battery of the mw07 plus is very better than mtw2, this is true in the earphones and in the beautiful design and construction of the metal case. With the mw07 plus you obtaining close of 40 hours like the specifications the manufacturer is saying. With sennheiser you're not obtaining close to 28 hours of the specifications. This is bad for a top of the quality bt earphone, specially when this is the second model!

The sound. The sound of the mtw2 is very, very good, and in my memory isn't different from the model 1, this is very good sennheiser isn't change the sound. But for me the mw07 plus is sounding better, not a lot more better, but yes, better. the mw07 plus is having more instrument separation, and in complicated passage or the music very busy with many instruments this is more evident. But the mwt2 is having a little more big sound and sometimes a little more deep in the stage. I think mtw2 is more exciting in sound for the quick impression specially in pop music, is little more big, but mw07 plus is more accuracy, subtlety and hi-fi, better definition.

The anc of the mw07 plus in my opinion isn'y very good comparing with bt headphones like bose and sony, but when I comparing with mtw2 then mw07 plus anc is very good! This explaining only how I think anc in mtw2 really is, is very terrible.

When I thinking of the complete product, for me the mw07 plus is very clearly the more better iem.
Well.
Thank you so much and please excuse my fault! Your help is very valuable for me.

The first "serious" head-earphones I have owned are the MTW.1. After a lot of readings the decission was between them and the MW07 first gen. The extremely poor battery of the Master&Dynamic reported in the reviews was the factor that made me choose the Sennheisers. And their sound is so woooow! I felt in love.

Now I am hooked on this vice. And vigilant for the best sounding models arriving on the market.

I was anxiously waiting for the MTW.2. I can live with the battery of the MTW.1, but I expected a good improvement in the battery life thanks to the new chips, and also in size, because they become a little irritating after 1 or 2 hours. And may be better call quality and transparent hearing. The inclussion of ANC and multipairing would be well received too.
After the reviews my conclusion is that the gaining in battery is not enough for me to compensate the (low) hiss and the lack of APTX LL of the new chip. Also still master-slave, worse call quality reported, and according to users the (mildly) annoying amplification of some sounds in transparent hearing like keys clinking is still present.

I'm sure they are a delightful earphones, but the upgrade from the version 1 doesn't worth for me. May be for the 3rd gen.

As far as my knowledge goes, in terms of pure sound quality only the Bang&Olufsen e8 3rd and the Master&Dynamic MW07 plus can compite in the top with the Sennys (please someone correct me if wrong).
From the e8 I've heard boring sound signature, lack of enough loud volume and hiss.
From the MW07 plus I've heard contradictory opinions. Comparing to the Sennys, I have heard less powerful and worse bass and at the same time better and tighter bass, more and less loudness, more and less stage, better and worse fit.....
For this reason I was interested in your opinion, due to it was very accurate regarding the Momentum 3.

By the way, I'm still looking for filling the emptiness the Momentum 3 left in me.

May 6, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #66 of 228
Well.
Thank you so much and please excuse my fault! Your help is very valuable for me.

The first "serious" head-earphones I have owned are the MTW.1. After a lot of readings the decission was between them and the MW07 first gen. The extremely poor battery of the Master&Dynamic reported in the reviews was the factor that made me choose the Sennheisers. And their sound is so woooow! I felt in love.

Now I am hooked on this vice. And vigilant for the best sounding models arriving on the market.

I was anxiously waiting for the MTW.2. I can live with the battery of the MTW.1, but I expected a good improvement in the battery life thanks to the new chips, and also in size, because they become a little irritating after 1 or 2 hours. And may be better call quality and transparent hearing. The inclussion of ANC and multipairing would be well received too.
After the reviews my conclusion is that the gaining in battery is not enough for me to compensate the (low) hiss and the lack of APTX LL of the new chip. Also still master-slave, worse call quality reported, and according to users the (mildly) annoying amplification of some sounds in transparent hearing like keys clinking is still present.

I'm sure they are a delightful earphones, but the upgrade from the version 1 doesn't worth for me. May be for the 3rd gen.

As far as my knowledge goes, in terms of pure sound quality only the Bang&Olufsen e8 3rd and the Master&Dynamic MW07 plus can compite in the top with the Sennys (please someone correct me if wrong).
From the e8 I've heard boring sound signature, lack of enough loud volume and hiss.
From the MW07 plus I've heard contradictory opinions. Comparing to the Sennys, I have heard less powerful and worse bass and at the same time better and tighter bass, more and less loudness, more and less stage, better and worse fit.....
For this reason I was interested in your opinion, due to it was very accurate regarding the Momentum 3.

By the way, I'm still looking for filling the emptiness the Momentum 3 left in me.

Hello again Roberk.

Isn't necessary excuse for my post before I planning for it. I understand very well the new information from somebody you trusting is important. I'm in same situation before.

I'm agreeing, the mtw1 is a serious earphone/headphone even if you aren't much experience in the past with others bt good quality earphones or headphones.

Yes, the mw07 old model having very bad battery life and isn't always comfortable. This is completely different with Plus model. And I remember too I liking mtw1 more than old mw07 model. This isn't true today with mw07 plus vs mtw1 or 2. I having better fitting with mw07 plus now because is little more small and is possible the insertion is more correct and the sound is better too.

I too waiting with anticipation mtw2 but the result at the end of every test I making is disappointment. Probably sennheiser with mtw3 is really very good, similar with headphone where the M3 is better sound than models 1 and 2.

I trying b&o e8 second generation last years and is nice earphone but battery isn't very good and is very necessary using the eq in the app for good sound and isn't easy to do this because isn't normal eq with bars for the frequencies. At the end I preferring always mtw1 with the sound of the factory setting. I reading new e8 third generation is the same sound but very better battery.

With mw07 plus is very important you testing the different tips and the different earwings. The volume is more high, and this isn't opinion, is fact, because I testing with same music with same iPhone and same macbook pro.

The mtw2 and mtw1 is sound excellent, really. But for my experience sometimes it's depending in the music the mtw1 and 2 is little muddy. If the fitting is correct, with the mw07 plus you having excellent more fast bass and better hi-fi sound. Maybe you remember I trying the master&dynamic mw65 headphone and I thinking was nice but not nice like momentum 3 and specially b&w p7 wireless. My decision is always for the better sound and other aspects like battery, comfort, etc.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #67 of 228
Hello everyone! Here are some improvements to the new Momentum True Wireless 2 over the original MTW, as well as answers we found to questions people have been asking.

-The sound tuning is identical to MTW1, since we are using an identical driver and identical acoustical space around the driver, despite the overall size reduction of the earbuds.

Okay thanks for confirming this. I haven't heard the MTW1 but the MTW2 sounds kinda like the graphs I've seen for the MTW1.

May 6, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #68 of 228
My preferred EQ for the MTW2 decreases that fairly large lower treble spike and bumps up the upper mids to bring the entire FR more into balance. The EQ I'm using is one in the Neutron music app, not the control app from Sennheiser.

For podcasts, that treble spike isn't an issue, but for music it can be distracting and unwelcome. The upper mid boost is smaller but since it adds presence to vocals, it feels as essential as taming any artificial treble spikes that might cause fatigue.

May 7, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #70 of 228
I returning my mtw2 too today.

May 8, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #71 of 228
When are we supposed to get the device management feature that was initially advertised? It's still listed in the online manual as well.

https://cdn.sennheiser-cloud.com/he...ETW2_Manual_EN/topic_M3IETW2_Manual_EN14-.htm

"

Switching the connection to paired Bluetooth devices/“Connections”
To selectively switch the audio connection to paired Bluetooth devices using the “Connections” function, you require the Smart Control app (> Installing the Smart Control app).

▷In the Smart Control app, tap “Connections”.

The list of Bluetooth devices paired with the earphones appears."

Also there's still a picture of it on their site:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...171077207-1584345742it_image.png?v=1584345977

Just under EQ setting

This feature was one of the reasons i initially bought the MTW2.

Other than that I'm overall really pleased with my purchase, even tho there's still a lot of technological advances to me made in the TWS field (thinking about mostly multipoint and latency). Such a shame that Qualcomm didn't include ATPX LL in their newer chipset...Maybe next generation of Bluetooth 5.2 along with LC3 plus codec can solve many of the current issues. But for now im really pleased.

May 9, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #72 of 228
I was going to return my pair of MTW2's, I didn't find the audio inspiring enough to keep - for $300. But, I received my FiiO M15 yesterday - and wow!! - what a difference a high quality source made for the MTW2's!!

To be fair the M15 has added inspirational sound qualities to all of my headphones, but the MTW2's were in line for return and now I couldn't possibly return them.

I haven't really spent a lot of hours with the MTW2's before the FiiO M15 due to what I considered excellent but not inspiring enough sound, now that's going to change. :)

Here's my first impressions of the M15, and MTW2's on the M15 - entered as an "Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 Update" just now...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ortable-music-player-m15.923401/post-15599904

I'll check back here later, now that I am keeping the MTW2's :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #73 of 228
I was going to return my pair of MTW2's, I didn't find the audio inspiring enough to keep - for $300. But, I received my FiiO M15 yesterday - and wow!! - what a difference a high quality source made for the MTW2's!!

To be fair the M15 has added inspirational sound qualities to all of my headphones, but the MTW2's were in line for return and now I couldn't possibly return them.

I haven't really spent a lot of hours with the MTW2's before the FiiO M15 due to what I considered excellent but not inspiring enough sound, now that's going to change. :)

Here's my first impressions of the M15, and MTW2's on the M15 - entered as an "Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 Update" just now...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ortable-music-player-m15.923401/post-15599904

I'll check back here later, now that I am keeping the MTW2's :)

Not understanding this. Compared to running the MTW2 from a phone, using the M15 doesn't add anything. I mean, unless you're using an iphone (AAC) and hop to AptX with the M15, that's about it. But I wouldn't figure that there'd be that big of a difference. If you're using an Android phone, running on the phone or M15 is the same. Ultimately, the source device is just sending the stream with w/e codec, then the MTW2 is doing the rest of the processing.

May 9, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #74 of 228
Not understanding this. Compared to running the MTW2 from a phone, using the M15 doesn't add anything. I mean, unless you're using an iphone (AAC) and hop to AptX with the M15, that's about it. But I wouldn't figure that there'd be that big of a difference. If you're using an Android phone, running on the phone or M15 is the same. Ultimately, the source device is just sending the stream with w/e codec, then the MTW2 is doing the rest of the processing.
Before now I was listening using a Samsung S20 Ultra, Samsung S6 tablet, Windows 10 Bluetooth - Tidal, Amazon Music HD, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

The difference might be I'm using the M15's "All to DSD" Mode:
https://www.fiio.com/m15
M15 All to DSD mode.JPG

Without that setting the MTW2's still sound better than I recall previously - I haven't had time to go back and A/B yet, but whatever the difference is the MTW2's are distinctly and immediately standing out like they were not before, and I've gone from having them ready to return to keeping them in just a dozen tracks or so.

As a comparison example, I've been breaking in a pair of SendyAudio Aiva's, and both of my TWS's paled so far in comparison to the Aiva's that they've both been sitting unused while I've been waiting to see if a cheap pair of KZ S2's TWS's (Indiegogo) will do in both their places.

What happened when I first switched from the Aiva's on the M15 (in Over the Ear Headphone - High Current mode) to the BT MTW2's on the M15 (All to DSD mode) was a real shocker to me, as compared to when going from USB DAC BTR5 Aiva vs Windows BT MTW2's. I am currently only using Tidal / Amazon Music HD on the M15.

That's why I said my sources were inadequate before the M15 to make the MTW2's shine for me. :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #75 of 228
Before now I was listening using a Samsung S20 Ultra, Samsung S6 tablet, Windows 10 Bluetooth - Tidal, Amazon Music HD, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

The difference might be I'm using the M15's "All to DSD" Mode:
https://www.fiio.com/m15
M15 All to DSD mode.JPG
Without that setting the MTW2's still sound better than I recall previously - I haven't had time to go back and A/B yet, but whatever the difference is the MTW2's are distinctly and immediately standing out like they were not before, and I've gone from having them ready to return to keeping them in just a dozen tracks or so.

As a comparison example, I've been breaking in a pair of SendyAudio Aiva's, and both of my TWS's paled so far in comparison to the Aiva's that they've both been sitting unused while I've been waiting to see if a cheap pair of KZ S2's TWS's (Indiegogo) will do in both their places.

What happened when I first switched from the Aiva's on the M15 (in Over the Ear Headphone - High Current mode) to the BT MTW2's on the M15 (All to DSD mode) was a real shocker to me, as compared to when going from USB DAC BTR5 Aiva vs Windows BT MTW2's. I am currently only using Tidal / Amazon Music HD on the M15.

That's why I said my sources were inadequate before the M15 to make the MTW2's shine for me. :)

The player does this upscaling in its DAC processing. When you BT, you're bypassing the sources DAC and using the BT headphone's DAC. So I don't see this happening. But if you're happy with it, guess that's all that matters :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back