Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 (MTW2)
Apr 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 228
I sent my MTW2s back today after I experienced a bunch of drop outs, followed by the right earbud’s touch controls ceasing working completely. A big shame as the sound was impressive.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #50 of 228
Hello everyone! Here are some improvements to the new Momentum True Wireless 2 over the original MTW, as well as answers we found to questions people have been asking.

-The sound tuning is identical to MTW1, since we are using an identical driver and identical acoustical space around the driver, despite the overall size reduction of the earbuds.
- To connect the two earpieces, MTW2 uses Bluetooth instead of NFMI. Performance and power consumption of new BT chip generation has significantly improved!
-Battery life is 7h/28h (measured with iPhone/ AAC codec / ANC&TH off). Adding other modes and features such as Transparent hearing and ANC on use more battery... due to how many variables there are, we don't have exact figures to share, but with ANC on the earpieces will run around 1 to 1.5 hours less.
-The new chip does not support aptX LL, but we do work with the Bluetooth Latency Compensation feature on iOS and Android devices. By this, the audio delay is communicated back to the source and video is delayed by the same amount, and therefore music videos, podcasts, Youtube, Netflix, and even Twitch streams will actually have close to zero latency out of sync. Our next firmware update, FW 4.6, should optimize the sync even more accurately. This feature doesn't help real-time usage like gaming, nor does PC or Mac support it, so in those situations the latency will be between 200 ms and 300 ms (depending on codec used). For the typical on-the-go use of true wireless headphones, the Bluetooth Latency Compensation will be very suitable, and was worth the leap in battery runtime.
-A very few people might recognize a very low hiss sound with the MTW2. The MTW1 did measure a little bit lower, and could not be fully avoided with the MTW2's new Bluetooth chipset and ANC, but both measure quite low and most of the time will not be perceived while audio is playing at normal listening volumes. With the next FW 4.6 we managed to reduce the hiss for some causes, but some may still hear it.
-Hinge stability of the charging case is improved.
-When not in use, the battery drain on standby was addressed with MTW2, but will still have quality of life features like auto power on and fast Bluetooth connection as the MTW1 did. It required a new generation of Bluetooth chip hardware to achieve this.
-Standby battery life is at least 60 days, compared to about 7 days with the MTW1.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #51 of 228
Hello everyone! Here are some improvements to the new Momentum True Wireless 2 over the original MTW, as well as answers we found to questions people have been asking.

-The sound tuning is identical to MTW1, since we are using an identical driver and identical acoustical space around the driver, despite the overall size reduction of the earbuds.
- To connect the two earpieces, MTW2 uses Bluetooth instead of NFMI. Performance and power consumption of new BT chip generation has significantly improved!
-Battery life is 7h/28h (measured with iPhone/ AAC codec / ANC&TH off). Adding other modes and features such as Transparent hearing and ANC on use more battery... due to how many variables there are, we don't have exact figures to share, but with ANC on the earpieces will run around 1 to 1.5 hours less.
-The new chip does not support aptX LL, but we do work with the Bluetooth Latency Compensation feature on iOS and Android devices. By this, the audio delay is communicated back to the source and video is delayed by the same amount, and therefore music videos, podcasts, Youtube, Netflix, and even Twitch streams will actually have close to zero latency out of sync. Our next firmware update, FW 4.6, should optimize the sync even more accurately. This feature doesn't help real-time usage like gaming, nor does PC or Mac support it, so in those situations the latency will be between 200 ms and 300 ms (depending on codec used). For the typical on-the-go use of true wireless headphones, the Bluetooth Latency Compensation will be very suitable, and was worth the leap in battery runtime.
-A very few people might recognize a very low hiss sound with the MTW2. The MTW1 did measure a little bit lower, and could not be fully avoided with the MTW2's new Bluetooth chipset and ANC, but both measure quite low and most of the time will not be perceived while audio is playing at normal listening volumes. With the next FW 4.6 we managed to reduce the hiss for some causes, but some may still hear it.
-Hinge stability of the charging case is improved.
-When not in use, the battery drain on standby was addressed with MTW2, but will still have quality of life features like auto power on and fast Bluetooth connection as the MTW1 did. It required a new generation of Bluetooth chip hardware to achieve this.
-Standby battery life is at least 60 days, compared to about 7 days with the MTW1.
too late, I returned my MTW 2, the white noise is very audible on the left earbud, yet the right earbud was perfectly silent, why weren't you able to remove it from the right earbud??, the MTW 1 didn't have any white noise on either buds, this is unacceptable, its very annoying when listening to quiet parts of a song or podcast, you say you couldn't remove it because of the new Bluetooth chipset and ANC, then explain why the noise is not present on the right earbud?, that tells me that its possible to remove it with the new chipset, I have disabled the ANC and still hear the white noise, good luck, I won't be buying it again, thank God I returned it.

May 1, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #52 of 228
Hi there.

1 year ago, I DIDN't buy the first version.
Due to two problems - battery leakage when the headphones are in the case. And because of the plastic mechanism of the case cover is very flimsy.

The new version has these problems? Do the headphones in the case fall asleep or continue playing? What is the material of the case cover made of?

I certainly read the official response. But I want to hear feedback from real users.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #53 of 228
Hi there.

1 year ago, I DIDN't buy the first version.
Due to two problems - battery leakage when the headphones are in the case. And because of the plastic mechanism of the case cover is very flimsy.

The new version has these problems? Do the headphones in the case fall asleep or continue playing? What is the material of the case cover made of?

I certainly read the official response. But I want to hear feedback from real users.

I have the new MTW2 (and had the first generation as well).

The battery leakage problem is gone and the plastic mechanism (while still being a little bit flimsy) is also much improved here - you wouldn’t need to worry, really.

That being said, I dislike the white noise that is audible when no music is playing and/or in very quiet parts of songs. That is a major letdown compared to the MTW1. I just updated the new ones to the new 4.6.0 firmware and it is still present there. Also, the first generation was louder - the new ones are a bit „quiet“ sometimes. I rarely listen to music below 80 to 90 percent on my iPhone XS Max. The old generation was better in this regard as well.

If Sennheiser can somehow fix the white noise issue and make them a little bit louder - these would be truly excellent wireless in ear headphones. As it is now, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend them tbh.

May 4, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #55 of 228
I receiving mtw2 4 days ago and is good earphone and is better than mtw1, but I thinking now is maybe I sending back to Amazon. Is only 4 days but the battery in the earphones is never 7 hours like Sennheiser is saying and I don't using the awareness or ANC mode and the volume isn't high.

I having before mtw1 but the problem of the battery was big problem because is always finishing in the earphones and in the case quickly when I'm not using the earphones in 4 or 5 days. I returning mtw1 quickly.

I'm big bad surprise because the ANC in mtw2 is very bad, is almost not different when is on or off.

The sound is very good, is like mwt1, but the sound isn't everything. Now I think I'm liking a little more the sound of the master & dynamic MW07 plus. The ANC in the mw07 plus is better than mtw2 and before I thinking mw07 plus ANC isn't good! This is why I thinking ANC in mtw2 is terrible.

I coming back here in 3 or 4 days and saying my decision. In this moment I thinking mw07 plus is better option generally in different aspects and I think I decide keeping it ultimately, but the mtw2 is good too in other aspects and I needing testing more.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #56 of 228
I receiving mtw2 4 days ago and is good earphone and is better than mtw1, but I thinking now is maybe I sending back to Amazon. Is only 4 days but the battery in the earphones is never 7 hours like Sennheiser is saying and I don't using the awareness or ANC mode and the volume isn't high.

I having before mtw1 but the problem of the battery was big problem because is always finishing in the earphones and in the case quickly when I'm not using the earphones in 4 or 5 days. I returning mtw1 quickly.

I'm big bad surprise because the ANC in mtw2 is very bad, is almost not different when is on or off.

The sound is very good, is like mwt1, but the sound isn't everything. Now I think I'm liking a little more the sound of the master & dynamic MW07 plus. The ANC in the mw07 plus is better than mtw2 and before I thinking mw07 plus ANC isn't good! This is why I thinking ANC in mtw2 is terrible.

I coming back here in 3 or 4 days and saying my decision. In this moment I thinking mw07 plus is better option generally in different aspects and I think I decide keeping it ultimately, but the mtw2 is good too in other aspects and I needing testing more.
Can you check the transparency mode for me ? ( hear trough ) how good can you hear other people’s talking with low volume music is playing in the back ? Thanks

May 4, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #57 of 228
Can you check the transparency mode for me ? ( hear trough ) how good can you hear other people’s talking with low volume music is playing in the back ? Thanks

Is very good. Is easy hearing the people if the music isn't loud.

Maybe you aren't interesting in mw07 plus, but the awareness mode is similar, is very good. 07 plus is having similar price and in this moment I thinking this is better option for various reasons, but I'm making the final decision and writing more comments in 3-4 day after I testing more.

May 4, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #58 of 228
Is very good. Is easy hearing the people if the music isn't loud.

Maybe you aren't interesting in mw07 plus, but the awareness mode is similar, is very good. 07 plus is having similar price and in this moment I thinking this is better option for various reasons, but I'm making the final decision and writing more comments in 3-4 day after I testing more.
I’m using wired iems normally , but over the day , while playing with my child or talk to my etc is using air pods pro at the moment , the transparency mode is really good , it’s near you had no iems in . But the sound quality isn’t ... it’s okay .. but there is night n day difference to my wired iems . I thought the sennheiser could bring me a bit closer to that if the hear trough is as good :)

May 4, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #59 of 228
I’m using wired iems normally , but over the day , while playing with my child or talk to my etc is using air pods pro at the moment , the transparency mode is really good , it’s near you had no iems in . But the sound quality isn’t ... it’s okay .. but there is night n day difference to my wired iems . I thought the sennheiser could bring me a bit closer to that if the hear trough is as good :)

AirPods Pro is more natural awareness mode than every earphones or headphones I hearing because is like you aren't using earphones or headphones. mtw2 and mw07 plus isn't natural like AirPods pro but is little more loud (amplified) so is good for this intention if important for you.

Yes, the mtw2 (and the mw07 plus) is sound better than AirPods pro.

May 4, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #60 of 228
AirPods Pro is more natural awareness mode than every earphones or headphones I hearing because is like you aren't using earphones or headphones. mtw2 and mw07 plus isn't natural like AirPods pro but is little more loud (amplified) so is good for this intention if important for you.

Yes, the mtw2 (and the mw07 plus) is sound better than AirPods pro.
Thanks this was very useful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back