Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 25, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #3,541 of 3,594
Guys i just got a 2.0 but despite the disconfort and less tight and present bass i stiil yhink the 1.0 (over ear) is a beauty and i think i want to buy one again becausa i trully think that overall it is a piece of art.

100 euros for a mint black and red bought one month ago (so with invoice).... Good price?

I prefer and only had the brown one but there is a first time for everything....

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #3,542 of 3,594
I tried so hard to get -on with my Momentum 2.0 over -ears, but ultimately felt like something wasn't 'quite right'.
Eventually I got hold of a pair of B&W P7's. Now that's more like it! :) The Momentum's went on eBay after that.
The Senny wasn't a bad set of headphones, just not very good IMO. The midrange is confused and opaque, hard and smeared IMO. At least for me anyway.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I like the Momentums quite a bit, but I agree with the confused and opaque qualifications. I find their mids, while nicely full-bodied and warm not very stable, they go every direction, are very busy, not able to relax a bit. In the best way this can be perceived as exciting and dynamic, in the worst way (mainly with classical music) as somewhat 'manic'. Opaque in the way that they don't deliver much spatial information, a lack of acoustic space in where the instuments play.
For vocals, most pop, alternative and rock they sound nice though, but I find the BeoPlays, which I bought almost at the same time superior in most ways.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,543 of 3,594
Well I must say the Momentums are spectacular with Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation. By no means 'opaque' or 'confused'.
Their soundstage is ideal for this album, the mids pushed more forward than the BeoPlays make the distorted guitars sing with grunt and texture. It is surprising the Momentums don't prettify the raw sound, while still sounding smooth.
I love Sonic Youth's off-tuning of those guitars (no other band that came after them bettered this unique sound, maybe Trail of Dead come close with their first three albums and later with "Lost Souls")

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,544 of 3,594
I was a bit harsh on them in comparsion with my BeoPlay H6s. Although I feel the BeoPlays are better I am enjoying the Momentums better with pop and rock. 
It is unfortunate though they turn out to be pretty uncomfortable to wear. The ear pads are barely big enough to cover my ears, it is an inbetween fit, for a big part over-ear and for a smaller part on-ear. I think the Momentums M1 may have fit my ears better, if they are for the biggest part on-ear and clamp less.

Does anyone know how the Denon MM400 fit in comparison with the M2s and BeoPlay H6s? The H6s, though small, fit very comfortable.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #3,545 of 3,594
How would these compare to the Sony Mdr xb1000s? Unfortunately my dear pals are starting get some heavy wear and I've yet to find a sweet pair that has good frequency range on the warmer side like the xb1000s.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,548 of 3,594
I purchased a pair of v1 over-ears and they've just arrived. Was a bit wary at first as to whether or not they are a replica - but from what I can see it's the real deal.

Really enjoying the sound these produce, the mid's are much more forward compared to my DT-770 Pro 80's and hence vocals are amazing. While it doesn't have the same amount of bass as the 770's, there's still plenty there and makes a perfect commute companion.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,549 of 3,594
   While it doesn't have the same amount of bass as the 770's, there's still plenty there and makes a perfect commute companion.

I think you are the first one to say that the Momentums could use a little more bass. Quite a few people on this thread have complained that they find the Momentum's bass too much. Personally I think it's perfect. Regardless, glad you enjoy them, they are a wonderful headphone. They have been my workhorse for the past 2 years.

beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #3,550 of 3,594
The bass of Momenums (v1) is pretty good but for me the vocal reproduction (natural tone) and the transparency (clarity vs transparency?) are the best part of the HPs. The soundstage is, however, a let down. But I was unable to sell these HPs or gift them because I like them very much for portable "over"-ear headphones. They are not perfect (compared to higher end headphones) but they are very good for what they are. 
To be really honest with... myself - the bass is not even close to quality and quantity of Denon Ah-D600 and faaaaar from Shure SE846 and IE 800 (which are in ear monitors). And in my (personal) opinion the bass of Momentum´s is thick but lacks depth with some sub-bass presence. Their weakest part is soundstage and the fragile cables, without a doubt. 
But. I like them  a lot.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #3,551 of 3,594
I did a drive by shoot out with these at my local Hi-Fi store and it was totally disappointing. The highs of these headphones are screechy and in your face and the only way to get a decent amount of bass out of them was to turn them up far too loud. If I wanted a treble + 10 headphone this would probably be it. They are most certainly not neutral. Maybe if you're a bright happy treble kind of kid these would be right up your ally but they were never up mine from the beginning.

Generally speaking? One of the worst Senns I'd have had the displeasure of listening to and its sad to see Sennheiser devolve into the same muck raking of other "lifestyle" only brands like Beats and BOSE. If these are your first "expensive" headphones ever it might be understandable.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #3,552 of 3,594
how many think the momentum 1 is better than the momentum 2? I have the 2.0 wired over ears right now and i think that they have greater bass impact than the first ones (edm was a bit boring on the 1.0) but vocals seemed a bit more forward and the overall sound sounded a bit more refined and with more resolution on the 1.0. The 2.0 seems like a more v shaped approach (slightly).

Too bad the 1.0 had so small pads.... Had them 3 times, sold them 3 times.... But i think i might get them again as a collectors piece. The cables can always be used on the 2.0s and the 15 minutes i can stand the 1.0s on my head are pure sonical bliss.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #3,553 of 3,594
how many think the momentum 1 is better than the momentum 2? I have the 2.0 wired over ears right now and i think that they have greater bass impact than the first ones (edm was a bit boring on the 1.0) but vocals seemed a bit more forward and the overall sound sounded a bit more refined and with more resolution on the 1.0. The 2.0 seems like a more v shaped approach (slightly).

Too bad the 1.0 had so small pads.... Had them 3 times, sold them 3 times.... But i think i might get them again as a collectors piece. The cables can always be used on the 2.0s and the 15 minutes i can stand the 1.0s on my head are pure sonical bliss.

I do.
I thought the bass didn't extend as well on the 2.0 as the original.

The 2.0 I think had slightly better soundstage, but it was almost imperceptible. 

I think this is because my ears fit comfortably into both.
Those with larger ears seemed to think the two sounded quite different, but this is totally a result of using the 1.0 as on-ear headphones and getting a very different sound than intended.
Using them as on-ears makes the bass boomy and uncontrolled - but if your fill the space between the pads, it tightens up very nicely.
Even someone with smaller ears can try this - simply rest the rear-side of the earpad on your ear-lobe like an on-ear headphone, and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #3,554 of 3,594

I do. I prefer them by quite a long margin, because on the Momentum 2.0, the highs are a bit too sharp and the midrange is a bit too distant.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,555 of 3,594
I do. I prefer them by quite a long margin, because on the Momentum 2.0, the highs are a bit too sharp and the midrange is a bit too distant.

+1 on momentum v1. I still own it over v2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back