Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 10, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,526 of 3,594
Most people with large ears say the M2 sounds better than the M1 which is hardly surprising.

I found the M2 to sound a touch more coloured overall, but has slightly superior bass texture. 
But they're more similar than they are different. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,528 of 3,594
I couldn't really hear any noteworthy difference in soundstage TBH. 
If there is a difference, it's not night and day.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #3,531 of 3,594
New to full sized headphones. and I must say the momentums are probably the best sounding can I've owned.(came from PX-100-II, A-Jays, AIAIAI Tracks, Senn IE8, Marshall Monitors). 

To all who did not like the Momentum's sound, after owning it for a few months, 2 of the following are the largest factors:

- Seal - 1 week after my purchase, I still thought something was off with the sound. While the seal was OK and my ears fit the cups, yet the clamping force was quite weak. I tried to tighten the clamping force and this resulted in a significant change in sound : it sounded fuller than stock. Prior to increasing the clamping force, the sound was good but I can't help but wonder on the lack of impact / sounds somewhat thin. 

- Cable - Trust me, the cable with Mic sounds noticeably inferior than the direct cable. I've done hours of comparison, even on Units displayed on stores to make sure mine did not come with a defective remote cable. The straight cable has more PRaT and details in the mids. With the remote mic, some of the textures are missing and this is probably what others mention that have some weird bass - distant, not punchy. With the straight cable, everything is much more energetic.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #3,532 of 3,594
  I couldn't really hear any noteworthy difference in soundstage TBH. 
If there is a difference, it's not night and day.

Agree. Most of the sound changes are from the ear cup change / better fit.

I was able to emulate the Momentum 2.0 sound sig by forcibly inserting all of my ear to the Momentum 1.0
 i.e. by tucking in even the bottom part of your ear (where earrings go) inside the cup.

This results in more forward sound, a bit better bass & highs. The soundstage doesnt increase.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #3,535 of 3,594
  The Momentums are Sennheiser's response to Beats. Same price point, same low quality. It's astonishing to watch Head-Fi praise them the way they have. The Momentums sound so obviously, objectively bad. 

Please, don't insinuate that people won't be able to hear the quality sound (with the Momentums) nor that we all are wasting our money because we can't hear audio fidelity. Those are merely your opinions, and don't reflect the general census. Not to mention condescending. It's not just Head-Fi that praises them, rather universal praise spanning multiple audiophile communities/websites. To say that the Momentums are Sennheiser's answer to Beats is correct. However, Sennheiser's mission was not to reproduce the "Beats sound" rather provide the growing consumer market with a stylish, well built high quality leather and metal (plastic only used for the driver plate) headphone for on-the-go that provides outstanding detailed hi-fi sound. And in my opinion, and hundreds of thousand happy Momentum owners, Sennheiser succeeded. I have had my pair for 2 1/2 years of daily use and they look, feel, and perform like the day I got them.

So you enjoy the AT M50. That's nice. The Momentums offer a balanced, fairly neutral sound with a "slight" increase in bass, just to satisfy today's listener. The M50 are V-shaped, and their bass is on par with the Momentums in quantity and quality but much more loose in the sub-bass. Not to mention the M50's often edgy treble. Anyway, my point is that they are two different sound sigs, and to recommend one for the other, especially considering both headphone's intended use, is more personal than informative.

Personally, I think the Momentums are extremely resolving. Look at my headphone inventory and gear in my sig; I not only don't go for garbage, but know what a pair of balanced, highly resolving, and detailed headphone sounds like. Let it be known that the Audio Technica M50 will never make it into my collection.

beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #3,536 of 3,594
I tried so hard to get -on with my Momentum 2.0 over -ears, but ultimately felt like something wasn't 'quite right'.
Eventually I got hold of a pair of B&W P7's. Now that's more like it! :) The Momentum's went on eBay after that.
The Senny wasn't a bad set of headphones, just not very good IMO. The midrange is confused and opaque, hard and smeared IMO. At least for me anyway.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #3,537 of 3,594
If you truly enjoy the Momentums, please know that you are unable to hear the quality of headphone sound.

I don't get the point why you are writing such things in this thread where probably all subscribers own a Momentum and spend a lot of time listening to music with it. Don't get me wrong, it is always great to hear different opinions but you wrote as if your point of view is the only truth and that all others here are all deaf. I recommend you to start sentenced with "I think...", "in my opinion..." , "to me it seems"
cheers

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,538 of 3,594
   The Momentums sound so obviously, objectively bad.

If you truly enjoy the Momentums, please know that you are unable to hear the quality of headphone sound.

• Why hate something so much if you simply don't enjoy it? (bashing without any scientific evidence - yet you use the word 'objectively')  
• Also why insult the people that do enjoy them? 

Please answer, I want to know.

• Wasn't bashing them last year in November enough for you? - http://www.head-fi.org/t/788883/momentums-are-beats#post_12104869
Now you've come back to have your say again?

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #3,539 of 3,594
@DelvarWorld

Momentum 1.0, 2.0, hd25 and ath-m50x owner here.... Like them all.... That makes me what? Half deaf?

What about you? Headphone illuminati?

Oh sorry....Take it with a bag of salt......

Some people are like me me me....... I have a pair of hd598s right now and they are highly beloved around here.... I dont like them to be honest but you dont see me call anyone deaf just because they like a headphone that to me sounds lifeless.

Sound is subjective. What i love you may hate and vice versa. Now that is fact.....

....But i guess its just more fun to bash someone right....? :wink:

Go play some COD and get over it.... Thats what kids do nowadays....

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #3,540 of 3,594
think we should be thankful to @DelvarWorld for
  • reviving this tread
  • making us all feel unite as a group of Momentum Headphones lovers

Why don't we make use of this momentum
cool.gif
to write down what makes the Momentum Headphone so special to us? This makes the troll starve....
For me it is:
  1. very good portability, lightweight
  2. smallest possible earcup size to still be comfortable to use for hours
  3. good audio quality: not harsh treble at all, lot of details, musicality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back