Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,571 of 3,594
90 euros for a mint condition black and red momentum over ear 1.0 purchased on june 2016 (amazon).... Good or bad deal....?

I already had the momentum 1.0 for 3 times and alwayd sold them due to confort issues. I have the 2.0s now but i still think there was some extra magic on the 1.0s.....

I am really tempted on getting the 1.0s for this price even i could eear them for 10 minutes.... 10 worthy minutes though....

What would you guys do?
smily_headphones1.gif

Go for it. I also got mine for USD130 price and it is probably the best headphone value purchase i've made so far. You also get 2 cables that have different flavors in terms of sound characteristics that you can interchange when you grow tired of the sound :D

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #3,572 of 3,594
  Go for it. I also got mine for USD130 price and it is probably the best headphone value purchase i've made so far. You also get 2 cables that have different flavors in terms of sound characteristics that you can interchange when you grow tired of the sound :D

We settled on 95 euros.... still great price i guess. i still got them cheaper than yours!!!! :p (130 dollars is around 115 euros)

I am going to be honest with you guys.... this was absolutely a impulse buy and nothing else.... i dont need them and right now i have too many headphones. I know that i love them but i also know that after 10 minutes i am going hate and insult them for sounding so good and having such small pads that hurt my hears like nails....

But despite already having them for 3 times and despite knowing all the problems, i just could not let them go. They always impressed me everytime i picked them up i. a store (even more than the 2.0 despite liking the tighter and fatter bass on the 2.0's...).
The package, cables, build, size, even the case.... the first momentum over ear is really a piece of art to my eyes and despite having the momentum 2.0's i never really forgot the first ones.

So i got them basically as a colectors piece.... it was a bit more than i wanted to pay (i wanted to spend around 70 and 90, specially when i got the 2.0's for 147 (dont ask... ;P)...) and i would be happier if they were brown but they are still beautifull and also with 22 months of warranty left its really a reassuring buy (i could get a brown pair for 70 euros here in Portugal but they were more than 2 years old and past the warranty date).

Even if i dont wear them, i can always use the 2 cables for my 2.0's.... :D

Also i could not waste much time thinking on if i should make the deal or not.... if you guys make a quick search on european amazons, basically the 1.0's disapeared.... only french amazon has 3 or 4 used units and never below 160 euros.... new 1.0's is basically impossible to find.

In one or two months it will be really hard to find a 1.0 momentum because they are now discontinued and quickly vanishing from all stores...

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3,574 of 3,594
How does the 2.0 sound compare to the 1.0? which do you prefer? Is the sound difference larger than when switching between remote & straight cable? just like other members, i hear a distinct difference between the 2 cables of the M1.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,575 of 3,594
You know, that's really sad. Such a good headphone to vanish... But like you said, now we have some beautiful collector pieces, a joy to the eyes and ears.

On the united states there seems to be plenty available left. If you check amazon.com there are still plenty of sellers selling them and at good prices, but directly from amazon there are only used units i guess. Here in euope its a bit more critical though, here they are really almost gone and the places where they are found usually sell them above 230 euros wich is super expensive since the m2 s new already cost around 220 on the german amazon.

@mykeldg

I will as soon as i get the momentum 1.0. I am still waiting for their arrival since the buyer lives in lisbon and i am from porto (300 km). :)

I cant go into detail right now because the last time i tested the 1.0 was more than half a year ago.... But in advance i can tell this, the 1.0 does not have the same bass impact as the 2.0. They both share the same signature and mostly sound the same. But on the 2.0s despite slightly, it is noticeable that sennheiser made the sound a tiny bit more v shaped wich results in clearly more impactfull, stronger and tighter bass slam and the treble seems to be a tiny bit more extended but very slightly to my ears.... I never had problems with the 1.0s treble wich seemed to pissed off many people.... To me it was pretty clear and i am a guy that likes the hd25 and m50x....

On the other hand this slightly more v shaped tuning on the 2.0 seem to have pushed back the vocals a tiny tiny tiny. So in that regard i would say that the 1.0s from what i remember had better vocal clarity (and also more forward vocals) and also the sense of texture, resolution, specially on eletric guitars seemed a bit more palpable on the 1.0s. I remember listening to biffy clyro and thinking that i could almost feel all the distorions on the guitar., really raw power, like qhd as someone said above.... ;D the 2.0 are almost qhd but seem to be missing that higher sense of texture....

The 2.0s are clearly more confortable with bigger pads, the new material on the pads wich is very very plush and squishy and specially because the inside of the pads are now made of the same material as the outside of the pads. The inside of the pads on the 1.0s is that wired meshed thing that is probably one of the biggest causes of pain....

Please keep in mind one thing.... This are my impressions, as you may have read the sound perception on the m1 seems to vary from many factors. Some claim the 1.0s and 2.0s sound the same wich can be a result of how well a pair of ears is fitted to the small pads. Maybe someone with small ear will get a similar bass impact to the 2.0, but in my case it was not like the m2s. It was bassy and nicely warm but it did not have the bass impact and prat i get from the 2.0s for edm.

But i will compare both on the weekend and share some more....

Please keep in mind that we are talking about really subtle differences. Its easier to spot them but its nothing drastic to the point of changing the signature.

Imagine like the if the 1.0s learned some things with the m50x.... Thats the best way i can describe the slight changes on the 2.0s.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,576 of 3,594
Great Impressions, thanks! I agree, the texture of the M1 are superior to all HPs i've tried so far. Though i Have limited experience since the best HP i've demoed is the Momentums :D

So the mesh thing in the M2 is gone? I thought that was an intentional design for better sonic performance instead of comfort to give the momentum an open sound despite being a close HP. Because there would be more air between the ear and driver instead of directing all the sound to straight the ear if it were all leather. Maybe that's why there is more bass impact and seem less textured?

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #3,577 of 3,594
Great Impressions, thanks! I agree, the texture of the M1 are superior to all HPs i've tried so far. Though i Have limited experience since the best HP i've demoed is the Momentums :D

So the mesh thing in the M2 is gone? I thought that was an intentional design for better sonic performance instead of comfort to give the momentum an open sound despite being a close HP. Because there would be more air between the ear and driver instead of directing all the sound to straight the ear if it were all leather. Maybe that's why there is more bass impact and seem less textured?

I just got them.... Only 5 minutes of hearing.... 2.0 seems to win depsite the things i said on my last post (from memory as i said,). They mostly sound the same, but the bigger pads makes the sound much wider on the 2.0. 1.0s seem slightly warmer but that may be due to the smaller pads and therefore smaller stage.
I am starting to believe sennheiser did nothinh to the drivers, its really the cups and pads that make the difference. Its the same sound, the way its presented is whats different.

I dont wanna say much more without spending a bit of time comparison but i can say this right away:

Pads are much more plush, big and confy on the 2.0s.
Black ones are nice but in brown thy are nicer and classier (even the black 2.0s seem brownish next to thw black 1.0.)
2.0s are bigger obviously but due to beeing smaller and without hinges the 1.0 seems more stable.

Some say that the momentum is a little hd650 (never tried one).... Well i say that the 1.0 seems like a on ear version of the 2.0s.... :D

Ate the time i had the 1.0s for the first time i only had the m50 and the hd25. Despite the m50 being over ear it has shallow cups and its not much better than a on ear. At the time the 1.0 really felt like an over ear...

Now that i have the 2.0s to compare and also a hd598 and dt770 it feels like this:

Dt770 super m f-ing over ear
Hd598 a big over ear but not as big as the dt770 (pads are ear shaped)
M2 over ear but really bordering the mix because my ears still noticeably touch a bit on the sides.
Hd25 on ear obviously
M 1.0.... Its not much better than the hd25 so i am super inclined to star calling it a on ear.... Really really close....

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,578 of 3,594
Got these recently for £70 brand new sealed box in a thrift/charity shop.

They are worth that to me - I had the Momentum on ear but couldn't listen for more than half an hour due to the extreme discomfort. The cups could be larger on these, but I like the sound - it doesn't offend in any way.

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3,579 of 3,594
Well i did not have much time to try both against each other but from the time i had i can tell you guys this, they are very very close to each other. On the m2s the perception of tighter bass and more extending treble i guess its just really maybe a result of the bigger pads and therefore more evolving and slightly more spacious sound.

Whats cool is that despite i am clearly using the 1.0s as on ears, i get the same great kick that i get from the 2.0s and the bass is almost as tight. The 1.0s clamping force i a bit higher so that helps to wear them as on ears and keeping them stable. But of course if i change my head and the headphones move i can clearly notice the bass missing a bit on one of the sides.
As i said the 1.0 seem to sound a tiny tiny bit warmer but almost unnoticeable and i just thing its a result of smaller pads and therefore less stage and more compressed sound.

I trird the cable of the 2.0s with the 1.0. The bass may be a bit tighter with the 2.0s cable but nothing that would make me change the cable just for that.... I like the sound of the ios cable as well....

Thats it for now....

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #3,580 of 3,594

•  
  •  
  •  

I just got them.... Only 5 minutes of hearing.... 2.0 seems to win depsite the things i said on my last post (from memory as i said,). They mostly sound the same, but the bigger pads makes the sound much wider on the 2.0. 1.0s seem slightly warmer but that may be due to the smaller pads and therefore smaller stage.
I am starting to believe sennheiser did nothinh to the drivers, its really the cups and pads that make the difference. Its the same sound, the way its presented is whats different.

I dont wanna say much more without spending a bit of time comparison but i can say this right away:

Pads are much more plush, big and confy on the 2.0s.
Black ones are nice but in brown thy are nicer and classier (even the black 2.0s seem brownish next to thw black 1.0.)
2.0s are bigger obviously but due to beeing smaller and without hinges the 1.0 seems more stable.

Some say that the momentum is a little hd650 (never tried one).... Well i say that the 1.0 seems like a on ear version of the 2.0s....
biggrin.gif

Ate the time i had the 1.0s for the first time i only had the m50 and the hd25. Despite the m50 being over ear it has shallow cups and its not much better than a on ear. At the time the 1.0 really felt like an over ear...

Now that i have the 2.0s to compare and also a hd598 and dt770 it feels like this:

Dt770 super m f-ing over ear
Hd598 a big over ear but not as big as the dt770 (pads are ear shaped)
M2 over ear but really bordering the mix because my ears still noticeably touch a bit on the sides.
Hd25 on ear obviously
M 1.0.... Its not much better than the hd25 so i am super inclined to star calling it a on ear.... Really really close....

HD558 is the one closest to HD650's signature.  Momentum 1.0 is something else entirely, in my opinion.
I like those earpads on the 2.0, they do look like an improvement.  I'm definitely adding the 2.0 to my very long list of headphones to try out, haha.

I'm getting acquainted with Momentum 1.0 again.  For some reason, it sounds far better than the first time I tried one.  I actually like it now.  The first one I tried sounded like crap, my Momentum On-ear just put it to shame except in soundstaging.

I wish Sennheiser didn't drop the color variety with the new on-ears, or I'd gladly try an all-blue Momentum M2.  The extra gloss on the cups now is yuck.  At least the Momentum over-ears 2.0 look great, even better than the 1.0, apparently.  I'd love an all-blue over-ear, too.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #3,581 of 3,594
HD558 is the one closest to HD650's signature.  Momentum 1.0 is something else entirely, in my opinion.
I like those earpads on the 2.0, they do look like an improvement.  I'm definitely adding the 2.0 to my very long list of headphones to try out, haha.

I'm getting acquainted with Momentum 1.0 again.  For some reason, it sounds far better than the first time I tried one.  I actually like it now.  The first one I tried sounded like crap, my Momentum On-ear just put it to shame except in soundstaging.

I wish Sennheiser didn't drop the color variety with the new on-ears, or I'd gladly try an all-blue Momentum M2.  The extra gloss on the cups now is yuck.  At least the Momentum over-ears 2.0 look great, even better than the 1.0, apparently.  I'd love an all-blue over-ear, too.

Are you using them as on or over ears? Main more on than over.... :)

The 0ver ear 2.0s in black have a ligh midnight blueish grey tone.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,582 of 3,594
I'm able to use Momentum over-ear 1.0 as an over-ear, yes.
Barely.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3,584 of 3,594
Yeah, it sucks that the Momentum 1.0 have been discontinued. What are Sennheiser thinking??
We should make a petition for them to keep producing then.

Makes good business sense to me.

M.2 essentially 'corrected' all the flaws following the most common complaints regarding size and portability.
They also kept the overall sound objectively almost untouched. (if your ears were too big for the M1's please don't argue about how different they sound).

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #3,585 of 3,594
Makes good business sense to me.

M.2 essentially 'corrected' all the flaws following the most common complaints regarding size and portability.
They also kept the overall sound objectively almost untouched. (if your ears were too big for the M1's please don't argue about how different they sound).

True. And even if the 1.0 sounds slightly warmer thata probably because of smaller room on the pads...
Now of course theres are somethings that made the 1.0 a special thing, the package is awesome, the case too, the angled jack and the fact that it brings 2 cables, the smaller size and for some probably the finish since the cups finish is on a some kind rubbery matte plastic (at least on the black ones, i dont remember if the cups on the brown one were like this too) while the 2.0s have a marble like finish on the plastic cups (on the black ones at least... I wanted ivory but the black ones were 80 euros cheaper...:D ) and the metalic glossy ring around the cups inhearited from the 1.0 on ear (wich i personally dont like and have some concern it may chip with use).

Funny thing on sound quality..... The black 1.0s i have right now hit on the bass as hard as on the 2.0s. I dont remember the 3 brown ones i tested hitting so hard ans i always said that they missed some extra punch on the bass for edm. Not missing that on these 1.0 for sure.

Also i am finding this black 1.0s to isolate better than the 3 1.0s i had before. I dont know if it is due to the pads material (dont know if the material on the black pads is any difderent from the brown ones) or due to my change of strategy and now using them as on ear (of course they still need a lot of fiddling to find the sweet spot) but i get, better isolation, better confort (by this i mean i can bare them 15 minutes longer.... :D ) than my previous 1.0 and this is definitly the way they must sound because i get a similar sound to the 2.0s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back