Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Aug 1, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,556 of 3,594
+1 on momentum v1. I still own it over v2...

Right now i have the 2.0. Had the 1.0 3 times but always sold them due to the disconfort.... Believe me, when someone tries 3 times its because he thinks its reaaaaally worth it.... :D

There are 2 things that in my opinion are superior on the 2.0. Confort obviously (and ergonomics due to being foldable now.... But imo the 1.0 were fine even without folding) and the bass impact. Impact was a bit lacking for edm on the 1.0. It was still enjoyable yes but the punch on the 2.0s is much more adfictive if edm is the main style.

Besides that i think that the 1.0 was superior.... (Well at least IMO)

Voices sounded clearer, more real, cleqrer and closer on the 1.0. The 2.0 sounds a tiny bit more v shaped now. Also i never had problems with the treble on the 1.0. For me everything else was there. I may agree when some call the 1.0 dark and etc bit for me everything i needed was there (besides the extra impact). For me the 1.0 made me feel like there was a higher sense of resolution.... Maybe because of that extra warmth, lack of treble or darkness that so many complain....

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,557 of 3,594
Right now i have the 2.0. Had the 1.0 3 times but always sold them due to the disconfort.... Believe me, when someone tries 3 times its because he thinks its reaaaaally worth it.... :D

There are 2 things that in my opinion are superior on the 2.0. Confort obviously (and ergonomics due to being foldable now.... But imo the 1.0 were fine even without folding) and the bass impact. Impact was a bit lacking for edm on the 1.0. It was still enjoyable yes but the punch on the 2.0s is much more adfictive if edm is the main style.

Besides that i think that the 1.0 was superior.... (Well at least IMO)

Voices sounded clearer, more real, cleqrer and closer on the 1.0. The 2.0 sounds a tiny bit more v shaped now. Also i never had problems with the treble on the 1.0. For me everything else was there. I may agree when some call the 1.0 dark and etc bit for me everything i needed was there (besides the extra impact). For me the 1.0 made me feel like there was a higher sense of resolution.... Maybe because of that extra warmth, lack of treble or darkness that so many complain....
I think you should try the Philips Fidelio L2. They'll have the exact sound you're describing. Natural, upfront, extemely clear with no sibilance and tight rumbling sub bass and midbass.

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #3,558 of 3,594
  I did a drive by shoot out with these at my local Hi-Fi store and it was totally disappointing. The highs of these headphones are screechy and in your face and the only way to get a decent amount of bass out of them was to turn them up far too loud. If I wanted a treble + 10 headphone this would probably be it. They are most certainly not neutral. Maybe if you're a bright happy treble kind of kid these would be right up your ally but they were never up mine from the beginning.

Generally speaking? One of the worst Senns I'd have had the displeasure of listening to and its sad to see Sennheiser devolve into the same muck raking of other "lifestyle" only brands like Beats and BOSE. If these are your first "expensive" headphones ever it might be understandable.

This is similar to my first impression of the Momentum m1s. This is a clear case of low clamping force / bad seal from stock and demo-ing using the remote cable. After addressing these 2 along with some mental burn in if you come from a bassier can, the Momentums for me among the best closed can I've heard. This is coming from someone who thought they are outright harsh and over priced when I demoed them years ago.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #3,559 of 3,594
  I did a drive by shoot out with these at my local Hi-Fi store and it was totally disappointing. The highs of these headphones are screechy and in your face and the only way to get a decent amount of bass out of them was to turn them up far too loud. If I wanted a treble + 10 headphone this would probably be it. They are most certainly not neutral. Maybe if you're a bright happy treble kind of kid these would be right up your ally but they were never up mine from the beginning.

Generally speaking? One of the worst Senns I'd have had the displeasure of listening to and its sad to see Sennheiser devolve into the same muck raking of other "lifestyle" only brands like Beats and BOSE. If these are your first "expensive" headphones ever it might be understandable.

There must have been something seriously wrong with the pair that you demo'd! Screechy treble?!?!? No, I am sorry, that is not right. Not saying that you didn't heat the store's demo pair that way, but as someone who has owned 2 pairs of Momentums (my 2nd pair is a warranty replacement), the one area that I would critique would be their laid back and soft treble (Sennheiser veil). They way you describe the Momentums would be how I'd describe my Grado SR60!

beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #3,560 of 3,594
Owning the Momentum 2.0s myself I can see why someone could find them harsh. Generally the highs are smooth and laidback, but with some recordings a low treble/high mids peak can grate a little and make the M2s less forgiving then their overall brighter competitors the BeoPlay H6s.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,561 of 3,594
  Owning the Momentum 2.0s myself I can see why someone could find them harsh. Generally the highs are smooth and laidback, but with some recordings a low treble/high mids peak can grate a little and make the M2s less forgiving then their overall brighter competitors the BeoPlay H6s.

Hello! Since you mentioned both Momentum 2 and B&O H6, could you write your impressions comparing the two? I am about to buy one of these. I returned Oppo PM-3 because of lack of treble. Your impressions might help me decide. Thanks!

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,562 of 3,594
Hi, I wrote a comparison in the H6 thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702524/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h6-discussion-thread/1230#post_12777161
Let me know if there's something else you want to know :)

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3,563 of 3,594
OK so after months using the straight cable, I tried the Remote Cable for convenience. I am surprised to find out that there is a noticeable difference : better soundstage, more airy, less midbass, less forward vocals. All the while I thought the straight cables sounded better, I now find the remote cable more neutral and enjoyable especially indoors. For outdoors, the straight cables has its benefits due to more bass impacts & forward presentation; albeit with lesser airiness/spaciousness(?).

Anyone else also experience a not-so-subtle difference between the remote cable and straight cable? I also noticed, the straight cable has lesser volume than the remote cable but has more impact/inyourface presentation. I could swear hearing more subtle details in music via the remote cable now after 3 months using the straight cable.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,564 of 3,594
I have owned them since 2012 and have reported the distinct difference in cables from the start. But I like the sound of the plain cable better. I own several idevices and would like to enjoy the convenience of the controls but it sucks out the mids and makes the mid bass muddy. Plain cable provides a much more balanced sound for me. I try frequently to use the control cable but cannot accept the reduction in sound quality.for long and revert back to plain cable. Just my opinion of course.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #3,565 of 3,594
You're probably right. I might've associated the lessened mids with better soundstage and improved highs/airiness(albeit to some extent/perspective, it relatively does). It seems on acoustic and folk music, the remote cable is more enjoyable while the straight cable has better definition & impact suitable for heavier music---atleast for me.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,566 of 3,594
No doubt the differences are more complementary to some material than others, but there is no doubt in my mind that the cables change the sound pretty dramatically. I find it interesting that v2 includes only the control cable.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #3,567 of 3,594
Yes I find that an odd decision on senheisser's part as well. Some are even reporting M1 sounded more hifi than M2 (Innerfidelity). Especially considering the M2s are now almost twice the price of the M1.

Im glad to hear though that you had the M1 since 2012. Hope mine lasts as long since I no longer I have the itch to upgrade after the Momentum.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #3,568 of 3,594
90 euros for a mint condition black and red momentum over ear 1.0 purchased on june 2016 (amazon).... Good or bad deal....?

I already had the momentum 1.0 for 3 times and alwayd sold them due to confort issues. I have the 2.0s now but i still think there was some extra magic on the 1.0s.....

I am really tempted on getting the 1.0s for this price even i could eear them for 10 minutes.... 10 worthy minutes though....

What would you guys do? :)

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #3,569 of 3,594
90 euros for a mint condition black and red momentum over ear 1.0 purchased on june 2016 (amazon).... Good or bad deal....?

I already had the momentum 1.0 for 3 times and alwayd sold them due to confort issues. I have the 2.0s now but i still think there was some extra magic on the 1.0s.....

I am really tempted on getting the 1.0s for this price even i could eear them for 10 minutes.... 10 worthy minutes though....

What would you guys do? :)

At 90 euros, it's a steal. Last year, even after the M2 was released, the cheapest I could get them for was $230.

Just make sure it's not a fake one, I read that the red and black model heavily suffers from lots of fakes goind around.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,570 of 3,594
At 90 euros, it's a steal. Last year, even after the M2 was released, the cheapest I could get them for was $230.

Just make sure it's not a fake one, I read that the red and black model heavily suffers from lots of fakes goind around.

Its a relliable person that is selling them.... lucky person does not now the luck he had..... in June french amazon made a mistake on the pricing of the black and red momentum over ear 1.0 and for a few minutes you could get them new for 60 something euros. This guy and another friend of his got a pair but their intention was never to keep them, just reselling them.... He wants 100 for now (shipping included) but i am trying 90.... still even for 100 i think i will keep them.... :wink:

But if someone is interested, french amazon still has "like new" 1.0's.... around 150/160....

By the way Veggie.... you like your hd598's? I have a pair of Ivory ones but they are definitly not my thing... being used to the ath m50x, momentum over ear and sennheiser hd25 makes the hd598 and even the 80ohm dt770 sound almost lifeless to my ears.... well lifeless for the hd598 is maybe too harsh because they have greats mids and highs (but still they are fairly bright and missing bass.... i prefer the hd518 and 558 sigs.... shocker.... :D ) but next to the headphones i mentioned its like someone stollen the bass and the weight to the sound.... :D

Still trying to understand as well how so many classify the 80ohm dt770 has a basshead can.... they are somewhat similar sounding to the sony mdr v6 wich is not a basshead can as well at all.... bass is much more pronounced and on the m50x and hd25, and the overall thin presentation of the mids and highs on the dt770 makes them sound a bit steryle to my ears..... to have a similar presentation to the m50x i need to plug them in to my fiio e12 and turn the bass boost on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back