Sennheiser Momentum Replacement Cables
Aug 9, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #31 of 79
what's the difference you hear between this and the stock cable?

When used with my old Fiio E11 and Ipod 7g, the Scorpion offers a far better balanced sound..wider sound stage and less fizzy tops.

When used with my new Graham Slee Voyager portable amp, the synergy between the two is astounding. A totally digital hash free and analogue sound that is immersive and has true 3 dimensionality. Reverting back to the stock wire..urgghh a flatter digital sound with excessive harshness and you lose the 3 dimensionality. So I guess synergy is all important..but the Scorpion offers some of the benefits described above to a lesser degree I suppose on lesser headamps. The construction is first class and beautiful too..no brainer in my experience. As I have said elsewhere, if you wish for more sparkle and perhaps less bass...one of the silver models is the way to go.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #32 of 79
Hi, if its not too late, I have purchased a 1.5m silver plated cable off of Amazon and i can tell you its fantastic. However, their is no remote on the cable so if you would like a remote, you would need to look elsewhere. Yes, it is a 50 dollar cable but its very nice and from what my ears can tell, theirs most definetely an upgrade in sound quality. Here's a link!

http://www.amazon.com/upgrade-Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphone-Earphone/dp/B00KBCY102/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1408931868&sr=8-9&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+cable

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #33 of 79
I've tried all of the gold Chinese cables. From what I can tell, compared to my replacement cable from Sennheiser, the Gold connector Chinese cables offer better high and mids, whereas the Sennheiser ones have better bass for some reason. I personally recommend replacement cables directly from Sennheiser unless you want mic functionality, clearer high and mids, and/or a more durable wire.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #34 of 79
I haven't seen all the handmade cables from Asia but almost. Bought 8 in the last 2 months. NONE with mics. Haven't even seen a picture of one. It has to do with those cables being small, light weight and usually made on a wire/plastic molding machine. These small cable makers aren't going to invest in the machinery yet. Some of the solder they use to hand make your cables is bigger around than most  mic headphone cables. Keep looking though. I might have missed something. Try the search engine The Find. If it is on our planet, The Find will find it. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 79
  Hi, if its not too late, I have purchased a 1.5m silver plated cable off of Amazon and i can tell you its fantastic. However, their is no remote on the cable so if you would like a remote, you would need to look elsewhere. Yes, it is a 50 dollar cable but its very nice and from what my ears can tell, theirs most definetely an upgrade in sound quality. Here's a link!

http://www.amazon.com/upgrade-Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphone-Earphone/dp/B00KBCY102/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1408931868&sr=8-9&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+cable

Yeah, got one of those. I think it's better than the stock cable, but I'm crap at remembering what different cables sound like right after switching.
The braid isn't really flexible and I would prefer a bit of heatshrink at either end, especially the 3.5mm plug into my iBasso DX50 (don't want the cable to weaken with all the bending).
Also, I don't think the 2.5mm plug fully clicks into the headphone socket, though it hasn't fallen out on me.
Think it was worth the £15 overall.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #36 of 79
The cable will loosten up over time and fall off if the small end is not made with the kind of plug that has the "twist and lock" kind on the original cable. Try eBay item number 31086824. Probably not silver, but very high quality and made with "twist and lock" plug. I got 2 in about 2 weeks.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #37 of 79
  The cable will loosten up over time and fall off if the small end is not made with the kind of plug that has the "twist and lock" kind on the original cable. Try eBay item number 31086824. Probably not silver, but very high quality and made with "twist and lock" plug. I got 2 in about 2 weeks.

It does have the twist & lock plug, but doesn't seem to 'click' in like the supplied cables.

This listing (31086824) has been removed, or this item isn't available.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #38 of 79
on the note, what do you think of this one? what makes it pricier - it looks better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Sennheiser-Momentum-HD598-upgrade-cable-by-Lavricables-/181398504188?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a3c3182fc

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #40 of 79
This is the same vendor I got my black one from and mine was $25, so $50 for a silver one is not bad in my opinion. Quality on mine is great. My personal rule of thumb (and I mean personal) is I never pay more than 1/4 to 1/2 the price of my phones for a cable. My logic is if I were going to drop that amount of coin on a cable, I'd be better off getting better quality phones for the extra dough.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #41 of 79
  This is the same vendor I got my black one from and mine was $25, so $50 for a silver one is not bad in my opinion. Quality on mine is great. My personal rule of thumb (and I mean personal) is I never pay more than 1/4 to 1/2 the price of my phones for a cable. My logic is if I were going to drop that amount of coin on a cable, I'd be better off getting better quality phones for the extra dough.

It's is a great cable, looks much better than the Ebay image and i noticed small upgrade in sound stage.
The thing is that the 3.5 mm plug to the DX50 is not so tight and very loose,.Any idea on how to make the plug more tighter in the DX50?

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #42 of 79
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the DX50 the source piece? If so, it is possible they made the cable with a 2.5 mm male instead of a 3.5mm for the source end. A local repair shop could solder a new 3.5mm on for not that much. I would suggest if that is the case you go online to high end cable shops to find and buy the new 3.5 mm yourself. That way you are guaranteed to get a high quality plug. If left to the repair shop, you might get a "cheapie". You could always send it back to the seller with the problem, but that becomes a shipment Asia, the cost (and worse) the long time delay.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #43 of 79
$160 for a cable!?!?

my thoughts exactly.

Anyway, what do you think of this replacement cable? Looks sturdy enough and silver plated I'm assuming means silver plated copper, which is A-OK with me

EDIT: Seems like it's from Tennmak's online store. Looks like they make custom replacement cables although they're not OCC silver or whatever that material is that the ones $100+ are.

I think all headphones should have detachable cables unless they're inexpensive and marketed at a price where replacement is inexpensive. But $100+ headphones should have detachable cables really, and while some do, not enough of them do. It should be easy to replace cables and switch to shorter ones, coiled, longer, etc, and frankly just to replace damaged cables. I had to replace the cable on my HD580 a few years ago, thank goodness you could do it for $18 instead of having to buy whole new headphones.

Very best,

Fully agree. Sometimes I'd rather buy a $20 cable and keep my IEMs rather than buy a new set. That's actually why I purchased a more expensive pair recently with that capability. What happens when I'm working out and the wire starts giving out sound to one of the ears? Buy a new set, or a new cable? Those of you saying that the replacement cables are useless seem pessimistic to me

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #44 of 79
Is the hands free cable of the Momentum on-ear compatible with the one of the momentum over ear and vice versa?
The one for the on-ear is cheaper than the one for the over-ear...
And i need a new one.

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #45 of 79
I
[COLOR=333333]Hey everyone, do yourself a favor. Go to e.B.a.y and search: "Replacement cable with Remote Mic connect iphone to Sennheiser HD598 HD558 HD518". There is a seller out of HK selling this cable for $17 CDN ($16 USD). I ordered and got it today and it works with the Momentum. It was a tight fit for the hole and I haven't been able to turn the cable's head in the hole to secure it like I did with my original cables. It is in very snuggly and I'm enjoying stereo sound and full iphone controls. I'm ordering a couple more cause I have no idea about the sturdiness of this cable and I make no claim about it's hardiness. I can get 5! of these cables for the price of one cable from Sennheiser. Save YOUR money. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I will report back and update if this cable fails under very common and regular use.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Fendercase[/COLOR]

I guess it hasn't broken down yet. Subbed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back