Sennheiser Momentum Replacement Cables
Aug 9, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #61 of 79
Ok before I discovered the Moon Audio cables in my last post, I spent the afternoon doing the same thing tmazer did so I can use a common 3.5mm mini to mini.

Here's what I did:

Buy 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter. Choose one where you can see by the shape that there is quite a bit of the smaller diameter of the 2.5mm to work with before it changes over to 3.5mm. Make sure the plastic is of a type you can shave down with a utility knife. I used this one:

http://www.londondrugs.com/Electrohome-Adapter-3.5mm-to-2.5mm---ELS1/L2978088,default,pd.html

Note that where the plug fits into the headphones it is not a straight line across--so trace the angled path that needs to be cut away.

With the one I got, the outer black plastic is wrapped around an core of clear plastic holding the inner workings together. Once I worked my way to the clear plastic, the black comes off quite easily. Be careful when cutting through to the clear plastic because the wires are not completely protected.

The metal connector is very close to the size of the opening so you may need to cut very close to the plug.

Be sure the top part fits in as much as possible. I got to the point sound was coming from the left and right--but vocals only in the right ear. This told me the connector is not in quite far enough.

Once I shaved away as much of the plastic as possible I realized I couldn't get the adapter in as deep as the original cable. This left some of the shaved away portion exposed. I think painting a few dabs of liquid electrical tape on should cover things up nicely...or just don't over cut away like I did :)

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-4-fl-oz-Liquid-Electrical-Tape-Black-LTB-400/100119178 (this step wasn't done when photos were taken).

Now insert a standard ipod mini to mini. I use a 3ft. length.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #62 of 79
I see where the Moon Audio cable is also supposed to "open them up". I have looked at Moon Audio cables for some time for some of my other gear, but never purchased any. Have you purchased from them and was the increase in cost justified by the product you received? The cables I purchased from Amazon were $20, so an increase to $95 would have to be more than just a replacement cable, don't you think? It should be an upgrade to the original cable, which is what I hope you report when you receive them.

I was originally looking at Moon Audio to replace the cables on the Westone 3 Gold, which they no longer make. But the cables on that IEMwere not removable. However it did peak my interest in Moon Audio.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #63 of 79
I'm using Momentum mark I with a Japanease Futurech 4-wired upgrade-cable. It's absolutely better than the original once, particularly when talking BASS. The cable is not better than it must be when using USD 550 on 1.2 meters, but the cans sounds better over the hole range (not relevant, BUT: the upgrade-cable is very beautiful looking, and draw attention @ the street. Looking forward to buy HD-700 in the first place. And after some saving I'll go for NORDOSTS expensive but most likely fantastic solution (demanding a ******* adapter-piece to fit the SENNHEISER's = making it even more expensive than it should. But I'm sure the end result will be fantastic! Because I don't give up before there's top-notch high-fi between my ears.

ARE QUINCY 701 by AKG ANY GOOD?? Never heard'em yet:..

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #64 of 79
I will recommend a cable as expensive as you can afford because it is many light years more important than using some $20,- crap!! I changed the original cable at some Denon over-ears with a red QED. Maybe that's the best value4money upgrade result I've ever experienced?! The Denons was sounding at least 3 x more expensive! It's like your set-ups @ home. You don't buy lots of expensive gear to rely on a $20 Amazon tragedy - unless you're hearing impaired. At home I use different pre-amps/dac's and 3 sets of active speakers. Lots have another approach than me, but use at least 40% on electricity and cables. Especially if you like Active Speakers.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #65 of 79
I am a firm believer that a cable that makes a supposed night and day difference ought to be measurable somehow.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #66 of 79
I will recommend a cable as expensive as you can afford because it is many light years more important than using some $20,- crap!! I changed the original cable at some Denon over-ears with a red QED. Maybe that's the best value4money upgrade result I've ever experienced?! The Denons was sounding at least 3 x more expensive! It's like your set-ups @ home. You don't buy lots of expensive gear to rely on a $20 Amazon tragedy - unless you're hearing impaired. At home I use different pre-amps/dac's and 3 sets of active speakers. Lots have another approach than me, but use at least 40% on electricity and cables. Especially if you like Active Speakers.

Gisle Gaugstad - Since I was the one who said I bought $20 cables from Amazon, I assume you are directing your comment to me.  I understand what you are stating and with a true lack of experience with cables, I will defer to your experience.  I am not in the habit of upgrading too much of my gear because my son and I often trade them and well, he is really rough on gear.  So if it is not lost, he figures a way to damage the cable, the band or something, so I am always thankful for warranties.  However, I try to keep him away from my personal gear that really is really not too high end, but only in the $300-$500 range.

I would like some advice on both in ear and over year cables, if you have time to educate me a little bit.  My main gear is either Westone or V-Moda, while I have a smattering of Seinheisser, Grado, Audio-Technica and other gear.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #67 of 79
Hi, just my opinion, but spending 500 dollars on cables for a 180 dollar is beyond absurd. Unless the stock cabling was downright flawed and caused great amounts of channel crosstalk, the differences you might hear in an aftermarket cable are are a result of the placebo effect. The placebo effect during clinical trials, for example, makes people measurably healthier if they believe they are being treated, so what our minds can do to our hearing perception are probably immense. The claims made on the kind of audible improvements people ascribe to "cable upgrades" are sometimes so great - "greatly enhanced bass" or "dramatically better treble resolution", that objective measurements MUST be able to pick up on these effects, and yet they never do. At the very least, double blind testing should be easy peasy for people who can hear such a clear difference. And yet, no such test has managed to confirm any cable manufacturer's bold claims. There are situations where for example too high capacitance in a turntable cable can cause measurable problems - often the cartridge manufacturer will specify the maximum capacitance the cartridge can handle. Go beyond this and you can end up with very nasty treble peaks at 8khz or whatever, which is very much audible! On the other hand... people make big deals about capacitance on headphone cables or line level interconnects. That can matter too... if you have 500 meters of cable. For a 1m run? Nope... never gonna matter.

Don't let this stop you from enjoying the hobby though. Silver cables look awesome - so if you like 'em, you like 'em. Even a bit of investment value in them, I guess - should the silver price explode, the material costs alone would perhaps pay for the original mark up.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #68 of 79
  Hi, just my opinion, but spending 500 dollars on cables for a 180 dollar is beyond absurd. Unless the stock cabling was downright flawed and caused great amounts of channel crosstalk, the differences you might hear in an aftermarket cable are are a result of the placebo effect. The placebo effect during clinical trials, for example, makes people measurably healthier if they believe they are being treated, so what our minds can do to our hearing perception are probably immense. The claims made on the kind of audible improvements people ascribe to "cable upgrades" are sometimes so great - "greatly enhanced bass" or "dramatically better treble resolution", that objective measurements MUST be able to pick up on these effects, and yet they never do. At the very least, double blind testing should be easy peasy for people who can hear such a clear difference. And yet, no such test has managed to confirm any cable manufacturer's bold claims. There are situations where for example too high capacitance in a turntable cable can cause measurable problems - often the cartridge manufacturer will specify the maximum capacitance the cartridge can handle. Go beyond this and you can end up with very nasty treble peaks at 8khz or whatever, which is very much audible! On the other hand... people make big deals about capacitance on headphone cables or line level interconnects. That can matter too... if you have 500 meters of cable. For a 1m run? Nope... never gonna matter.

Don't let this stop you from enjoying the hobby though. Silver cables look awesome - so if you like 'em, you like 'em. Even a bit of investment value in them, I guess - should the silver price explode, the material costs alone would perhaps pay for the original mark up.

fiddler - I assume you mean that spending $500 on a $180 headphone is beyond absurd, correct?  I think just looking at the economies of scale, I get what you are saying.  If asked if it is the cable or the headphone unit and the answer is always the headphone unit.  I get that.  However, on my behalf I will tell you I bought the Amazon.com cable and my son got the unit and the cable, so I never really listened to them.  He is pretty particular, so I think he would have voiced his displeasure.  I sent him to college with two headphones, the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser Momentum.  I heard from his roommate that he lost one pair, so I am not sure which one I will test when he finally comes home.

I had a Westone 3 Gold that I really wanted to upgrade the cables, when I had a left ear intermittent failure.  Since they were not removable, I did not get the chance to upgrade and the replacement coupon, plus my $200 got me a new Westone W30.  But I do remember that there are metals that conduct electricity better than others, is it the same for headphones?  Are certain metals better in conveying sound in that same manner?

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #69 of 79
Did you get a chance to see if that adapter works for the sennheiser momentum yet? I'm trying to find the exact same thing with no luck. I've bought an adapter from frys electronics but the male end was to big or to short to fully go into the headphone :/

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #70 of 79
Anybody know a 2.5mm male to a 3.5mm female adapter that with fit the original sennheiser momentums on-ear? I've bought one from frys electronics but the male end caseing was too big. Tried sanding it to the metal but it still wasn't enough and the wires were exposed so that was no good.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #72 of 79
That won't work. I'm looking for something that's about 2-3 inches. It's for "vmoda gamers mic" or something like that but it has a 3.5mm jack but the headphones are 2.5mm which won't work. And the hole is deep inside the headphone and I need an adapter that is skinny enough to fit. Thanks though

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #74 of 79
I am on a business trip to the Research Triangle Park area in North Carolina, so I figured I would stop by Moon Audio to try Drew's Silver Dragon and Black Dragon IEM cables fitted with Sennheiser Momentum-compatible locking conectors. I had purchased my Momentm 2.0 wireless over-ear headphones a couple weeks ago from Drew on my last trip here, and I've been very pleased with these. Using the stock cable, I've noticed how much better ther audio quality is versus the Bluetooth wireless connection. I still lve the Bluetooth wireless and noise cancellation, but for more serious listening, the cable is a better connection.

Unfortunately, Drew has the Silver Dragon IEM cables on back-order, but he let me audition the Black Dragon IEM cable. This is a great improvement over the stock cable:

1. Improved bass definition
  2. Clearer, smoother treble
  3. Larger soundstage with better separation of performers
  4. Sweet, rich midrange detail

In short, this cable allows me to hear more of the music. As the Moon Audio accurately describes, this cable has a warm presentation that I find appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back