Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #3,511 of 3,671
I was hoping someone could tell me how the highs and lows are for these? I like having a punchy bass and lsnappy highs. I've been looking and researching wireless headphones for about week and I can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for.

Really hard to describe headphones as everyone is different. I've read countless reviews of lots of headphones stating stuff that to MY ears is totally false.
But i'll try. Lows are there in good quantity, somewhere in the middle compared to other headphones, but not flat. I wouldn't call them super punchy, but definitely punchy enough! Mids are beautiful and realistic, a bit raised tho. Highs are the most difficult to describe, as everyone hears them so differently. It would actually be better to descibe my ears.. I am very sensitive to bright and unrealistic highs, especially bright S's and F's. And these are perfect for me. To my ears the highs are realistic and good quality, but a bit recessed.
If you have a love affair with highs and like them, as reviewers call it, crispy and snappy or whatever, you will NOT like these. These headphones have a comfy sound. The best comfy non-fatiguing sound of any comfy sounding headphone.

And last but not least, TO MY EARS.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #3,512 of 3,671
Really hard to describe headphones as everyone is different. I've read countless reviews of lots of headphones stating stuff that to MY ears is totally false.
But i'll try. Lows are there in good quantity, somewhere in the middle compared to other headphones, but not flat. I wouldn't call them super punchy, but definitely punchy enough! Mids are beautiful and realistic, a bit raised tho. Highs are the most difficult to describe, as everyone hears them so differently. It would actually be better to descibe my ears.. I am very sensitive to bright and unrealistic highs, especially bright S's and F's. And these are perfect for me. To my ears the highs are realistic and good quality, but a bit recessed.
If you have a love affair with highs and like them, as reviewers call it, crispy and snappy or whatever, you will NOT like these. These headphones have a comfy sound. The best comfy non-fatiguing sound of any comfy sounding headphone.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I think this helps a lot. I'm more of a fan of punchy bass. Definitely not like how some people like their ears booming. But I like being able to FEEL the bass. I hate it when the bass is super subdued. As for highs actually I think I'm more or less in the same boat as you. I don't want my highs piercing my brain and giving me a headache, but realistic and heard. Mods should be realistic as well. So I guess, just bump up the bass a tad bit because I feel like all rock/alternative/punk/grunge music doesn't give them enough punch unless you have the right headphones. Maybe I should be looking elsewhere? Different brand even? Only brands I'm familiar with are Audio Technica, AKG, Sony, and Senheiser. Not really a fan of Sony tbqh.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,513 of 3,671
Slightly odd question, but would an ios version work on an android device but just not have the remote work (something I'm not fussed about). Main reason I ask is that I've decided I'm not keen on wireless yet and would prefer a wired version of an over ear momentum. That said there is quite a big price difference between the android and ios version so was just wondering. It's between them and the oppos really. Listen to progressive and melodic rock out of an hiby r6 atm.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #3,514 of 3,671
Slightly odd question, but would an ios version work on an android device but just not have the remote work (something I'm not fussed about). Main reason I ask is that I've decided I'm not keen on wireless yet and would prefer a wired version of an over ear momentum. That said there is quite a big price difference between the android and ios version so was just wondering. It's between them and the oppos really. Listen to progressive and melodic rock out of an hiby r6 atm.

It’ll work just without the microphone. If you’re interested and in the EU I’m actually selling a pair of iOS brand new and still sealed for £110. Unwanted gift

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3,515 of 3,671

Hope that helps.
I pretty much agree with your sentiment. I originally purchased them when they were still known as the Momentum 2.0 Over Ear and was doing an A/B with the Audio-Technica DSR9BT. At the time, I thought they sounded dark, but in retrospect, that was due to comparing 2 very disparate headphones/sound signatures.

I recently repurchased the Pink Floyd version directly from Sennheiser for $215 (on sale for $299 with $60 off & 10% off promo codes). I have to say, it sounds better than I remember, in fact, I'm really liking the sound signature, especially for the office. Great bass, with a slight sub-bass emphasis and tastefully elevated overall bass range to give it some nice punch. The mids are very well done, slightly shouty upper mids, but I enjoy the overall sound and slightly forward characteristic. The treble is better than I remember, but it could use a boost in the low to mid treble regions and a slight reduction in the sibilance range. Overall, however, the treble has smooth characteristic and is good for long listening sessions. It's a fun headphone and I am definitely enjoying them more than I thought I would! Plus, they look SMASHING, BABY!

I will say that there is a difference when listening over an iPhone and an Android device with aptX (I have an LG G6 as well as an iPhone 7 Plus). Since the headphones do not support AAC, it defaults to SBC when using an iPhone. Using the same source audio, even over Apple Music, it sounds notably better over aptX when compared to SBC on these headphones (some headphones have poor drivers, so aptX does squat). Over SBC, it sounds more compressed (smaller ceiling, shorter stage), instrumentation & vocals are less distinct from each other, and there is a very slight graininess. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds good over SBC, and in a vacuum, you'd be quite content. Since it has multi-point, my solution is to connect to my LG G6 for music, but take calls from my iPhone. During a commute, you're not going to notice the detail improvement over aptX; it's only apparent if you're relaxing and listening to some jams.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,516 of 3,671
One thing to mention: all Android phones will always upsample to 48 kHz. Nothing can be done here. Even if you run a version where you can manually change the BT codec‘s data rate to 44.1kHz, this will make it even worse, since the signal will first be upsampled to 48kHz, and then downsampled back to 44.1 for the BT codec...

IOS devices on the other hand will work with the native sampling rate, without upsampling.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #3,518 of 3,671
It's time for a refresh - move to USB C, maybe include LDAC support...

Have you been looking in your crystal ball, I can see that in mine too. :)

I'm not sure how Sennheiser's R&D works but they have been putting a bit of effort into their soon to be release "True wireless" IEM recently, perhaps an updated wireless Momentum is planned for next year.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,519 of 3,671
My Momentum Wireless sounds better connected to my windows 10 computer than on any android phone, aptx or not. I've had like 10 different android phones from different manufacturers and i 100% agree with myself now. Every time i connect to my pc the listening is smoother.
I wonder why.. Placebo?

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #3,520 of 3,671
Have you been looking in your crystal ball, I can see that in mine too. :)

I'm not sure how Sennheiser's R&D works but they have been putting a bit of effort into their soon to be release "True wireless" IEM recently, perhaps an updated wireless Momentum is planned for next year.

I know I’m a bit late in quoting this - but I think maybe they’ll announce something during CES this January? That’s my hunch because the price of the momentum’s are very low right now and have been for a few months.

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #3,521 of 3,671
I know I’m a bit late in quoting this - but I think maybe they’ll announce something during CES this January? That’s my hunch because the price of the momentum’s are very low right now and have been for a few months.

Just wondering whether to pick one up right now.

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #3,522 of 3,671
Just wondering whether to pick one up right now.

I would. I picked these up in November, having returned the first gen (with the connection problems) and never considered them since. I've used and own the B&W Px and the Sony 1000XM2s and have to say I find the Momentum's my go to headphones while on the move. Less technically advanced, but I love the sound signature and the looks. NC also good and unobstrusive. Also pretty good with a wire and passive, better than I remember. At the new discounted price (£180 sterling), an absolute steal.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,523 of 3,671
I would. I picked these up in November, having returned the first gen (with the connection problems) and never considered them since. I've used and own the B&W Px and the Sony 1000XM2s and have to say I find the Momentum's my go to headphones while on the move. Less technically advanced, but I love the sound signature and the looks. NC also good and unobstrusive. Also pretty good with a wire and passive, better than I remember. At the new discounted price (£180 sterling), an absolute steal.

Thanks. Tried and returned the sony's as too uncomfortable for me. Had a hot spot on the top of my head after wearing them for awhile. Got amazon vouchers to use so may well order them.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #3,524 of 3,671
I only have the sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless for a couple of days and, and i baby them (i litteraly wash my hands every time before i use them and i only keep them in the case in which they arrived), and yet, when i look at the glossy plastic part of the ear cups, they filled with hairline scratches (they are invisible without a flashlight). Is it something i did, or do they just come like that from the factory?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #3,525 of 3,671
I only have the sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless for a couple of days and, and i baby them (i litteraly wash my hands every time before i use them and i only keep them in the case in which they arrived), and yet, when i look at the glossy plastic part of the ear cups, they filled with hairline scratches. Is it something i did, or do they just come like that from the factory?
My first pair was defect, the momentum metal logo was scratchy too. The new pair i got after had no scratches and worked perfectly..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back