Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Mar 23, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,481 of 3,671
Hi,

Please try to insert the analog jack plug into your momentum wireless headset, and then remove it again.
There is a switch inside the jack of the headset, this switch turns off Bluetooth and put it into flightmode.
If this gets jammed by dirt, it might behave as you describe. Do the procedure with the jack plug severeal times.

Cheers
Flemming

Hi Flemming,

Just got my brand new momentum 2.0 and wireless stopped working after i've tried the jack one time. Thanks to your tip, got it working again! Thanks very much!
I noticed there's a sort of lock on the mini jack you must turn to insert (and remove) the plug properly. Not the most easy way, because the plug is very tiny, you've not much grip.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #3,482 of 3,671
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #3,484 of 3,671
Got myself a pair of the M2 Wireless and now a not sure whether to return these or not...

I already own the wired Momentum 2.0 Overears which I love, especially when plugged into my FiiO Q9. For me, there are two issues with the wireless M2s
- no AAC and using SBC on iPhones. I did lots of back to back testing of AptX on my Mac versus the SBC on the iPhone. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the SBC does not sound the same. Not sure if I should care as I plan on using these during my commute and on flights only where I probably wouldn't even notice. For higher quality, I can always plug these in or go back to my wired M2s.
- ANC really is sub-par. I read the reviews but didn't expect that I would be able to hear people speak clearly on the subway. When playing music, you don't notice, but when paused you can hear almost everything. Background noise is muted but still there. You can even hear yourself slightly when typing on a keyboard or tapping your fingers on the table. I was expecting a little more.

Question is, to return or not to return? I might look at the Bose QC35II after all, although their sound quality does not seem to be as good (or so people say).

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #3,485 of 3,671
Got myself a pair of the M2 Wireless and now a not sure whether to return these or not...

I already own the wired Momentum 2.0 Overears which I love, especially when plugged into my FiiO Q9. For me, there are two issues with the wireless M2s
- no AAC and using SBC on iPhones. I did lots of back to back testing of AptX on my Mac versus the SBC on the iPhone. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the SBC does not sound the same. Not sure if I should care as I plan on using these during my commute and on flights only where I probably wouldn't even notice. For higher quality, I can always plug these in or go back to my wired M2s.
- ANC really is sub-par. I read the reviews but didn't expect that I would be able to hear people speak clearly on the subway. When playing music, you don't notice, but when paused you can hear almost everything. Background noise is muted but still there. You can even hear yourself slightly when typing on a keyboard or tapping your fingers on the table. I was expecting a little more.

Question is, to return or not to return? I might look at the Bose QC35II after all, although their sound quality does not seem to be as good (or so people say).

Hi Tim, I agree with you the M2 is not the best noisecanceller, but it sounds so much better then the Q35. I have both and use the Q35 when noiscancelling is more important. Whenever I can, when the background noise is low enough, I use my M2. For me the Q35 is more for noisecancelling, the music listening is secondarry.
It is difficult to make a choice, it all depends on whats the most important for you, music quality or silence.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #3,487 of 3,671
Hi Tim, I agree with you the M2 is not the best noisecanceller, but it sounds so much better then the Q35. I have both and use the Q35 when noiscancelling is more important. Whenever I can, when the background noise is low enough, I use my M2. For me the Q35 is more for noisecancelling, the music listening is secondarry.
It is difficult to make a choice, it all depends on whats the most important for you, music quality or silence.

Perhaps the answer is to look at the Sony MX1000M2 instead. Great noise cancellation and supposedly better sound than the QC35.

Listened to the M2 through my iphones over SBC again this morning, and the quality just isn’t good enough. With cable and over aptx they are great, but SBC kinda kills it for me

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #3,488 of 3,671
Hi Momentum-lovers,

I own a wireless Momentum for a bit longer than a year now, and would like to share one technical detail that I haven't seen being discussed before.

Most people agree that in an active mode, the bass is getting better under control and the upper mids become quite prominent.
But, that's not all. As Tyll mentioned in his review of the wireless Momentum on InnerFidelity, in an active mode, Momentum's sound change to sound a bit more like a telephone. I share the same observation, although I don't see this as a bad thing. According to what I hear, it's not only the push in the mids. If it was only a push by few dB, it would be possible to make it sound exactly as in the passive mode with some EQ tweaking. Which is not possible (at least I couldn't achieve that), due to the tricks Sennheiser is playing here.
I clearly hear the mids being 'euphonized' by applying some even order harmonics. I can achieve the same using a tube amp with a high THD. This bringings me to the point, I actually like tube amps exactly for that reason, and Senn is obviously doing some DSP 'magic' in order to make the mids sound sweeter. This is also becoming clear from the THD figure in the Tyll's review. There, he is complaining about high THD in a range around 1-2kHz. That's not a fault, it's a feature, I'm surprized he didn't actually came to the same conclusion. Senn is perfectly capable of designing a HW without such a high THD, especially strangely selective to a particular narrow frequency range. I think that particular THD, if we were looking into that closely, would mostly comprise of euphonic even-order harmonics...
For me that means, Senn decided to take a Bose's route and use DSPs to tweak the sound to what they think sounds 'better', not necessarily truer to the real thing... However, in this class of cans, I think it's not a bad decision, I find Momentum in an active mode better sounding than in the passive...

Greetings,
Alex

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3,489 of 3,671
I didn't find much of a discernible difference between active and passive sound, maybe a bass emphasis in active, but I have EQ activated in Poweramp so it's been a while since I've listened to flat EQ. I'm also nowhere near as seasoned as many of you.

I was actually about to post my rant about how poorly these work outside in NYC with the Galaxy S9+ but I already did that last month :darthsmile: Anyway, I'm researching a new BT ANC pair and hoping such a model has better Bluetooth performance in busy areas. The B&W PX Wireless has comfort issues and only goes up to aptX, the Sony 1000MX2s seem to still have the same headband crack issue, and the Bose QC35 doesn't come close to the others in sound. So I might forego ANC and rely on my wired AKG N20NC in-ears for when I need some peace and quiet on the train.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,491 of 3,671
Just got my brand-new M2 AEBT and I'm liking them so far. A question though - there is no "2015...rev02" text below the barcode on the bottom of the box. Is it possible I got the rev 1 headphones? I have no BT interference, cracks, disconnects etc whatsoever. Is it possible there is still a stack of 2015 Momentum 2.0 Wireless?

EDIT: So apparently there are new headphones in old boxes and all current stock should be the fixed version...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #3,492 of 3,671
I didn't find much of a discernible difference between active and passive sound, maybe a bass emphasis in active, but I have EQ activated in Poweramp so it's been a while since I've listened to flat EQ. I'm also nowhere near as seasoned as many of you.

I was actually about to post my rant about how poorly these work outside in NYC with the Galaxy S9+ but I already did that last month :darthsmile: Anyway, I'm researching a new BT ANC pair and hoping such a model has better Bluetooth performance in busy areas. The B&W PX Wireless has comfort issues and only goes up to aptX, the Sony 1000MX2s seem to still have the same headband crack issue, and the Bose QC35 doesn't come close to the others in sound. So I might forego ANC and rely on my wired AKG N20NC in-ears for when I need some peace and quiet on the train.
I tried everything you listed but I settled on the Bang and Olufsen H9i, All around, Best Noise Cancelling Headset imo.

EDIT: No APTX but honestly that doesn't matter to me, If I needed lossless id be at home with my wired and dac.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #3,495 of 3,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back