Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #2,686 of 3,671
  Until I can figure out a good way to brace that jack from stress, I believe this method is of limited value to me.

Why not get a comically long USB cable? It's the headphones doing the DAC, so it's not like you're going to lose out on audio quality.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,687 of 3,671
Thanks again for getting me up and running with USB audio. I appreciate it!

And after listening to it all day, gotta say, it's wonderful.

OK...the Leckerton amp seems to be a perfect companion. It gives the Momentum depth in bass, and a clarity unlike anything else.

The only reason I mention that, is that like most high-quality headphones, a similarly high-quality headphone amp can bring them to life. 

So, even though they are awesome Bluetooth headphones, I encourage everyone here to go ahead and connect the Momentums to the headphone amps you have. You probably already tried it. If so, you know what I mean when I say....

Bliss. 

Pure and simple, bliss.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,688 of 3,671
  Why not get a comically long USB cable? It's the headphones doing the DAC, so it's not like you're going to lose out on audio quality.

It's not the length of the cable that is the problem. It is the micro usb connection to the phone that gives me pause. They were not created to absorb the abuse a 3.5 jack can. Not built to move around a ton (my wife has ruined the connection on 2 phones now because she likes to use the phone while it is plugged in). 

But that is just me, I suppose. I don't really treat my phones as disposable (like most manufacturers would like us to). Don't get me wrong, I DO listen through usb audio with this phone some. Just not too much out and about like I might through the 3.5 jack. 

I DO use it as usb audio, though, using a FiiO E17K stack, but the OTG cable connected to the phone doesn't move around at this point. 
  Thanks again for getting me up and running with USB audio. I appreciate it!

And after listening to it all day, gotta say, it's wonderful.

OK...the Leckerton amp seems to be a perfect companion. It gives the Momentum depth in bass, and a clarity unlike anything else.

The only reason I mention that, is that like most high-quality headphones, a similarly high-quality headphone amp can bring them to life. 

So, even though they are awesome Bluetooth headphones, I encourage everyone here to go ahead and connect the Momentums to the headphone amps you have. You probably already tried it. If so, you know what I mean when I say....

Bliss. 

Pure and simple, bliss.

I agree about adding an amp to the mix. I find the ability of the FiiO E17K's ability to add treble makes them sound fantastic. I DO like the warm sound (Sennheiser Veil), but sometimes I would rather have the treble boosted on these, and they DO become more clear and sparkley. They handle adding treble very well. I don't really find that I need to boost the bass at all, as they have plenty to begin with.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,689 of 3,671
OK, after experiencing that disappointing Bluetooth failure using the Momentum 2s, I decided to get serious.

I'm having a Bluetooth headphone shootout.

Sennheiser Momentum 2s vs. Definitive Technology Symphony 1s vs. Denon AH - GC20s.

As I write this, I'm in a Starbucks, right next to the sandwich oven, eight feet from the bean grinder, and sitting close to an ever-changing group of customers.

I'm connected to a brand spankin' new Dell XPS 15...(insane)...connected only by Bluetooth...no DAC, no cables, no amps. And I'm listening to 'Vivaldi, the Four Seasons,' by Joshua Bell. I chose that because I'm writing, and I write better with classical than contemporary. 

Let the games begin.

I started with the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s. First of all, their ANC was superb. They blocked out almost every sound in the place. I have big ears. And the Def Techs are truly 'over-ear' headphones...as in, my entire ear is inside the oval...and the padding wraps around everything next to the ear...but again, the ear is all the way inside the padding. So, I'm guessing that the passive noise cancellation is more robust than the others. Add the ANC to the mix? I could hear virtually nothing - but the music. 

Also, the DTs manage the loudest signal. I had to back them off, they were so loud. And the overall sound of the DTs was wonderful. I like bass - but bass presented with power and musicality within a crystal-clear soundstage of mids and highs. If a sub hits? I want my headphones to bring it. The DTs did not disappoint. Frankly, they sounded phenomenal. Absolutely glorious. 

Plus - there was zero Bluetooth interference. None. I might was well have been wearing wired headphones at home, the sound was so stable.

I wore the DTs for an hour, comfortably. I had to pull the earcups down all the way...and when totally maxed - they fit. I wish I had another 1/2"...but I don't.  Along with those big ears I also have a big head, and the DT's headband - at first - seems like it'll hurt because it presses down on the top of my head. But after 2 minutes I never noticed it again.

After the hour was up, I switched to the Sennheiser Momentum 2s.

Again - phenomenal sound. Just flipping beautiful. Bass, mids, highs...power in every part of the register, and clarity unlike most other headphones on the planet. (I've tried these with amps - and OMG...)

The ANC was nowhere even close to the DTs. As I sit here writing, I hear the overall conversations throughout the Starbucks. I hear the barrista making mochas 25 feet away. Everything in the place is easy to hear, except when the music cranks into high volume. When I remove the headphones, the sounds are much, much louder...but still...I do not have the same 'close to silent' experience with the Senns that I have with the DTs. The Senns are 'over ear,' but the earcups are WAY smaller than the DTs. And their earpads rest on my ears...and the edges of the earpads kind of wrap down and around them...But feeling around, I can touch parts of my ears that are just barely covered.

But the sound...OMG...the sound was phenomenal.

This is the same Starbucks where, last week, I had awful BT interference with the Senns....But that day I was using an ultra-cheap Dell Chromebook. The same pair of headphones, via the brand new, totally cutting edge, maxxed-out Dell XPS 15, were solid as a rock. Makes me think it was the Chromebook's fault last week - not the headphones. I know the Senns have a rep for static and dropouts...but in my case, it appears to have been the Chromebook's fault, because today - Shootout Day - no interference at all. Rock-solid, perfect, not even a stutter.

OK..hour two with the Senns. Totally enjoyable experience. They are very comfortable...the headband 'rests' on my big head, it doesn't 'press down.'  And I don't have to pull the earcups all the way down like I do with the DTs. I have about a 1/2" to go on each side. Oh wait - sandwich is ready - heard those beeps clear as a bell. Plus - when my head is down, and I'm typing...the Senns are quieter than when I raise my head. The sounds of Starbucks get louder as I look up. Hmmm. I've had that issue before with the less expensive Denon NC headphones.

Let's launch the Denons...but first - with the Senns, when I fold them up...I always feel like the end of the metal arms the cups are attached to are going to slice through the drivers...guess that's why they include foam rubber pads that go inside the cups when folded...

The Denon AH-G20's are sooooooooo comfortable. The headband is a big padded arch...if I pull the earpads all the way down, I have a full inch between the top of my head and the band. Which means I have travel left from the comfort position and the fully-extended position. These still do not completely cover my ears like the DTs...more like the Senns...they sit on my ears, covering about 80% of them, but I can easily touch parts of my ears that are close to the edge of the pads.

Just watched the sandwich maker get one out - I haven't heard the beeps like I did with the Senns. The ANC on the Denons is better than the Senns. Plus, I can turn the ANC on and off. I like that. You can also do that with the DTs, but not the Senns...it's always on whenever the headphones are powered up.

The Denons sound great. Plenty of bass. But there's not a sense of that angelic, pure clarity like there is on the DTs and the Senns. The music has plenty of tone, but something is missing. Like you hear the notes - and you know the artist is going higher and higher on the violin...but I don't really feel the excitement. They sound good. But I'm just not feeling the passion - like I did with the Senns and the DTs. There's an urgency and excitement and passion that's just - not there.

Does that make sense?

OK - another difference with the Denons. When the earcups are extended down, the beautiful brushed aluminum frame parts, and reveals a very utilitarian-looking bar. So you have, from top-to-bottom, beautiful frame - a not-beautiful metal bar - and then beautiful frame. They look like they're extended...because they are. The DTs and Senns don't. When fully extended, the design doesn't change - so they always look great.

The Denon's BT signal, like the others, has been rick solid. Not a stutter, not a peep. 

OK, I've gone on long enough. I will return the Denons, due to the lack of crystal-clear sound, and a lack of urgency in its delivery. lthough I'll miss that extraordinary comfort. 

And I will reluctantly return the Sennheisers. What a sound! But they are not as loud as the DTs. Very, very comfortable, though. Finally, the deciding issue - the noise-canceling is not in the same league as the pair I will keep....

The Definitive Technology Symphony 1s. Insanely good noise noise canceling. Big heavenly, glorious sound. Big earcups, which wrap completely around my big ears. The design is awesome, with its chrome and black, and did I mention that sound? Unbelievable that I was listening to Blutetooth headphones.

Hope this helps!

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #2,690 of 3,671
  OK, after experiencing that disappointing Bluetooth failure using the Momentum 2s, I decided to get serious.

I'm having a Bluetooth headphone shootout.

Sennheiser Momentum 2s vs. Definitive Technology Symphony 1s vs. Denon AH - GC20s.

As I write this, I'm in a Starbucks, right next to the sandwich oven, eight feet from the bean grinder, and sitting close to an ever-changing group of customers.

I'm connected to a brand spankin' new Dell XPS 15...(insane)...connected only by Bluetooth...no DAC, no cables, no amps. And I'm listening to 'Vivaldi, the Four Seasons,' by Joshua Bell. I chose that because I'm writing, and I write better with classical than contemporary. 

Let the games begin.

I started with the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s. First of all, their ANC was superb. They blocked out almost every sound in the place. I have big ears. And the Def Techs are truly 'over-ear' headphones...as in, my entire ear is inside the oval...and the padding wraps around everything next to the ear...but again, the ear is all the way inside the padding. So, I'm guessing that the passive noise cancellation is more robust than the others. Add the ANC to the mix? I could hear virtually nothing - but the music. 

Also, the DTs manage the loudest signal. I had to back them off, they were so loud. And the overall sound of the DTs was wonderful. I like bass - but bass presented with power and musicality within a crystal-clear soundstage of mids and highs. If a sub hits? I want my headphones to bring it. The DTs did not disappoint. Frankly, they sounded phenomenal. Absolutely glorious. 

Plus - there was zero Bluetooth interference. None. I might was well have been wearing wired headphones at home, the sound was so stable.

I wore the DTs for an hour, comfortably. I had to pull the earcups down all the way...and when totally maxed - they fit. I wish I had another 1/2"...but I don't.  Along with those big ears I also have a big head, and the DT's headband - at first - seems like it'll hurt because it presses down on the top of my head. But after 2 minutes I never noticed it again.

After the hour was up, I switched to the Sennheiser Momentum 2s.

Again - phenomenal sound. Just flipping beautiful. Bass, mids, highs...power in every part of the register, and clarity unlike most other headphones on the planet. (I've tried these with amps - and OMG...)

The ANC was nowhere even close to the DTs. As I sit here writing, I hear the overall conversations throughout the Starbucks. I hear the barrista making mochas 25 feet away. Everything in the place is easy to hear, except when the music cranks into high volume. When I remove the headphones, the sounds are much, much louder...but still...I do not have the same 'close to silent' experience with the Senns that I have with the DTs. The Senns are 'over ear,' but the earcups are WAY smaller than the DTs. And their earpads rest on my ears...and the edges of the earpads kind of wrap down and around them...But feeling around, I can touch parts of my ears that are just barely covered.

But the sound...OMG...the sound was phenomenal.

This is the same Starbucks where, last week, I had awful BT interference with the Senns....But that day I was using an ultra-cheap Dell Chromebook. The same pair of headphones, via the brand new, totally cutting edge, maxxed-out Dell XPS 15, were solid as a rock. Makes me think it was the Chromebook's fault last week - not the headphones. I know the Senns have a rep for static and dropouts...but in my case, it appears to have been the Chromebook's fault, because today - Shootout Day - no interference at all. Rock-solid, perfect, not even a stutter.

OK..hour two with the Senns. Totally enjoyable experience. They are very comfortable...the headband 'rests' on my big head, it doesn't 'press down.'  And I don't have to pull the earcups all the way down like I do with the DTs. I have about a 1/2" to go on each side. Oh wait - sandwich is ready - heard those beeps clear as a bell. Plus - when my head is down, and I'm typing...the Senns are quieter than when I raise my head. The sounds of Starbucks get louder as I look up. Hmmm. I've had that issue before with the less expensive Denon NC headphones.

Let's launch the Denons...but first - with the Senns, when I fold them up...I always feel like the end of the metal arms the cups are attached to are going to slice through the drivers...guess that's why they include foam rubber pads that go inside the cups when folded...

The Denon AH-G20's are sooooooooo comfortable. The headband is a big padded arch...if I pull the earpads all the way down, I have a full inch between the top of my head and the band. Which means I have travel left from the comfort position and the fully-extended position. These still do not completely cover my ears like the DTs...more like the Senns...they sit on my ears, covering about 80% of them, but I can easily touch parts of my ears that are close to the edge of the pads.

Just watched the sandwich maker get one out - I haven't heard the beeps like I did with the Senns. The ANC on the Denons is better than the Senns. Plus, I can turn the ANC on and off. I like that. You can also do that with the DTs, but not the Senns...it's always on whenever the headphones are powered up.

The Denons sound great. Plenty of bass. But there's not a sense of that angelic, pure clarity like there is on the DTs and the Senns. The music has plenty of tone, but something is missing. Like you hear the notes - and you know the artist is going higher and higher on the violin...but I don't really feel the excitement. They sound good. But I'm just not feeling the passion - like I did with the Senns and the DTs. There's an urgency and excitement and passion that's just - not there.

Does that make sense?

OK - another difference with the Denons. When the earcups are extended down, the beautiful brushed aluminum frame parts, and reveals a very utilitarian-looking bar. So you have, from top-to-bottom, beautiful frame - a not-beautiful metal bar - and then beautiful frame. They look like they're extended...because they are. The DTs and Senns don't. When fully extended, the design doesn't change - so they always look great.

The Denon's BT signal, like the others, has been rick solid. Not a stutter, not a peep. 

OK, I've gone on long enough. I will return the Denons, due to the lack of crystal-clear sound, and a lack of urgency in its delivery. lthough I'll miss that extraordinary comfort. 

And I will reluctantly return the Sennheisers. What a sound! But they are not as loud as the DTs. Very, very comfortable, though. Finally, the deciding issue - the noise-canceling is not in the same league as the pair I will keep....

The Definitive Technology Symphony 1s. Insanely good noise noise canceling. Big heavenly, glorious sound. Big earcups, which wrap completely around my big ears. The design is awesome, with its chrome and black, and did I mention that sound? Unbelievable that I was listening to Blutetooth headphones.

Hope this helps!

Thx, I was split between Symphony 1 and Momentum, your review helps tremendously.  I was able to hear Momentum and like the sound signature but comfort for my above average size ears was not good. I never heard Symphony but gathering that its good as well, I like bass and seems like Symphony does it well.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #2,691 of 3,671
  Thx, I was split between Symphony 1 and Momentum, your review helps tremendously.  I was able to hear Momentum and like the sound signature but comfort for my above average size ears was not good. I never heard Symphony but gathering that its good as well, I like bass and seems like Symphony does it well.

Personally, I found the Momentum 2s to be a bit artificial sounding, compared to the original organic sound of the M1:s. The folding is great though, and the sound is far from bad. Just not on par with the originals. Can't comment on the wireless version though, but as far as I know, it should sound about as good as the wired version? 

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,692 of 3,671
  Personally, I found the Momentum 2s to be a bit artificial sounding, compared to the original organic sound of the M1:s. The folding is great though, and the sound is far from bad. Just not on par with the originals. Can't comment on the wireless version though, but as far as I know, it should sound about as good as the wired version? 

Interesting observation, since the drivers are identical between the two versions. Shows you how much the ear cups can do, apparently.

Using the wireless version wired sounds the same as the straight-up wired version, pretty much. Obviously with Bluetooth it's going to sound "Bluetoothy", but the active noise cancellation barely changes the sound at all when activated while wired. I think that's what a lot of people are missing - sure, they could have improved the ANC, which they claim is there to filter out ambient noise (as opposed to dings, slams, and honks), but it likely would have changed the sound for the worse.

I sat next to the engine of the plane and was amazed how much noise it cancelled. I could feel the drivers pumping... silence at me, it was quite interesting.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,693 of 3,671

Interesting observation, since the drivers are identical between the two versions. Shows you how much the ear cups can do, apparently.

Using the wireless version wired sounds the same as the straight-up wired version, pretty much. Obviously with Bluetooth it's going to sound "Bluetoothy", but the active noise cancellation barely changes the sound at all when activated while wired. I think that's what a lot of people are missing - sure, they could have improved the ANC, which they claim is there to filter out ambient noise (as opposed to dings, slams, and honks), but it likely would have changed the sound for the worse.

I sat next to the engine of the plane and was amazed how much noise it cancelled. I could feel the drivers pumping... silence at me, it was quite interesting.

The cups must indeed have an impact on the sound, I guess. Same thing with the regular and XL pads on the V-moda M-100s. The sound does change a bit, at least to my hearing.

I've never really tested any ANC headphones, but the Momentum Wireless could be the one to try out. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,694 of 3,671

I agree with you on the ANC feature of these headphones. What previous posters (who don't think the ANC works well) might be missing is that Sennheiser doesn't claim to filter ALL sound, but only low and very high pitched noises out. It leaves the mid on purpose so that you can still hear (human voice as example) things that need to be heard at all times for safety when travelling (pilots, flight attendant, etc...). The statement on Sennheiser website for their NoiseGuard technology says that it filters out 80% of noise. This is a little misleading, I think. What that means is that of the frequencies that they are meant to filter, 80% of that noise if properly filtered. 

With this in mind, I think that the ANC circuit works extremely well! Just keep in mind, they were never meant to compete in overall sound blockage with something like, say, the QC25's from Bose. Plus, I think you were right about being more aggressive with ANC. If they were more aggressive with the ANC, you would probably not have near the sound quality from these headphones as you currently do.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,695 of 3,671
    With this in mind, I think that the ANC circuit works extremely well! Just keep in mind, they were never meant to compete in overall sound blockage with something like, say, the QC25's from Bose. Plus, I think you were right about being more aggressive with ANC. If they were more aggressive with the ANC, you would probably not have near the sound quality from these headphones as you currently do.

I would imagine battery life would be affected as well, but maybe not.

Have people tried stuffing ear plugs between the driver and their ears? Sure, it'll affect the sound negatively, but dat noise cancellation tho....

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2,696 of 3,671

I am not an audiophile, but I purchased the M2s, DT Symphony 1 and Sony 1ABT, and I am the cheapest man in town too. The DT and the Sony were a cool $100 cheaper, but the M2s gave up the best sound, and I returned the others..Now, I have the Rev 2,and still rolling strong..

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2,697 of 3,671
Hi ppl,

Purchased my M2 AEBT's at the weekend and very pleased with the build quality and sound production of the unit when paired with my Samsung Note 5.  However, I have an issue pairing them with with the Sennheiser BTD 500  USB connected to my PC running Windows 7.  They simply refuse to pair.  I have raised a ticket with Sennheiser and awaiting direction.  In the mean time I was wondering what USB Bluetooth transceiver, that supports APT-X, you were using to squirt audio from your PC that pairs with the M2 AEBT's.  Thanks for any assistance.  Tony

Just searched through this thread and reference is made to Sennheiser BTD 800 and AZIO BTD-V401 which I will research.  Any other devices?

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,698 of 3,671
  Hi ppl,

Purchased my M2 AEBT's at the weekend and very pleased with the build quality and sound production of the unit when paired with my Samsung Note 5.  However, I have an issue pairing them with with the Sennheiser BTD 500  USB connected to my PC running Windows 7.  They simply refuse to pair.  I have raised a ticket with Sennheiser and awaiting direction.  In the mean time I was wondering what USB Bluetooth transceiver, that supports APT-X, you were using to squirt audio from your PC that pairs with the M2 AEBT's.  Thanks for any assistance.  Tony

Just searched through this thread and reference is made to Sennheiser BTD 800 and AZIO BTD-V401 which I will research.  Any other devices?

The Sound Blaster E5 might be just the ticket. It's a headphone amp and DAC that also does Bluetooth. It's a bit of a Swiss army knife. While a little excessive if solely used for Bluetooth, it has so many other useful features you can't really go wrong.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,699 of 3,671

The Sound Blaster E5 might be just the ticket. It's a headphone amp and DAC that also does Bluetooth. It's a bit of a Swiss army knife. While a little excessive if solely used for Bluetooth, it has so many other useful features you can't really go wrong.

I've got the impression, that E5 has only a bluetooth receiver, not a transmitter (nor a transducer). Am I wrong?

Hi ppl,

I've been using the Avantree Priva II (http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Splitter-Headphones-Simultaneously/dp/B0169TWV8O) with my V-moda CFWs and what not. So far so good. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,700 of 3,671

I've got the impression, that E5 has only a bluetooth receiver, not a transmitter (nor a transducer). Am I wrong?

I'll have to investigate that - you could very well be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back