Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 9, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,336 of 3,671

That dongle is a bit harder to come by as it seems to be mainly sold with their new Presence headsets and there seems to be 2 versions (one specifically for Microsoft Lync). It is basically an upgraded version of the BT500 from what one of the reps told me when I queried it. Much smaller in size so harder to snap off (think it's small enough to leave in laptop) and the LED is codec indicator is much bigger and it uses bluetooth 4.0 instead of 3.0. One would assume that they would have fixed all the issues of the BTD500 when they released it so am curious as well to see if the problems @HansVaessen is having is resolved.

Just installed the BT800. At first had some pairing trouble. Put the headphone in pairing mode first, then the dongle; didn't work. Reversed order worked fine; took a while longer than pairing with eg smartphone though.

Works fantastic now; none of the issues like with the bth-500. Skype work fine too; although you can clearly hear it switch to lower bandwidth. 

The 800 is clearly meant for more professional market; regarding e.g. 'functional' package design. Via google I found it for 69 euro and, even if the FW of the BTH500 was repaired, would recommend the 800 because of size. Definately if you are going to use it in a laptop. 

Cool, I did not know that dongle.
When you receive it, can you please test the wireless range? If it is more or less or same as the 500?

I didn't test the range of the 500 (couldn't) but the 800 seems to be approx 10m. Fine when working behind the computer and walking in the same room. Not for 'full house' coverage. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,337 of 3,671
After using it for a day, I did experience significant drops in BT when connected to mij macbook pro 2010 model. Could be the old bluetooth chip inside the macbook which causes the problem, although it does connect using the atpX protocol and other bluetooth devices have a good reception. (tip: if connected via BT using mac, hold the option(alt) key when clicking on the bluetooth icon in the top bar, it gives a indication which codec (atpx or not) is in use)

I called Sennheiser Netherlands a few moments ago to share my experiences, and got the reply that they didn't heard of problems regarding compatibility with older macs. However, they were willing to test if a dongle would do the trick to fix this problem, so they are sending me a new BTD 800 dongle to test if it improves quality. During the call he also mentioned that they have received multiple complaints regarding the bluetooth reception of the momentum and are looking into it.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #1,338 of 3,671
After using it for a day, I did experience significant drops in BT when connected to mij macbook pro 2010 model. Could be the old bluetooth chip inside the macbook which causes the problem, although it does connect using the atpX protocol and other bluetooth devices have a good reception. (tip: if connected via BT using mac, hold the option(alt) key when clicking on the bluetooth icon in the top bar, it gives a indication which codec (atpx or not) is in use)

I called Sennheiser Netherlands a few moments ago to share my experiences, and got the reply that they didn't heard of problems regarding compatibility with older macs. However, they were willing to test if a dongle would do the trick to fix this problem, so they are sending me a new BTD 800 dongle to test if it improves quality. During the call he also mentioned that they have received multiple complaints regarding the bluetooth reception of the momentum and are looking into it.

Good. I will contact Sennheiser too!

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #1,339 of 3,671
During the call he also mentioned that they have received multiple complaints regarding the bluetooth reception of the momentum and are looking into it.

Thats great for all the Momentum Wireless users that they are at least listening and trying to do something about the bluetooth issues. Will be interesting to see if a firmware update can actually fix the issues though.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,340 of 3,671
Good. I will contact Sennheiser too!

Try to find the right person, took me two calls. The first one suggested I downloaded(!) bluetooth 4.0 first with a driver update... After telling him such a thing isn't possible I got connected to service who put me in contact with a knowledgeable person. He is genuinely interested if the dongle will resolve my problems so he could use it as a solution for others with similar problems.

Give it a try!

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,341 of 3,671
Try to find the right person, took me two calls. The first one suggested I downloaded(!) bluetooth 4.0 first with a driver update... After telling him such a thing isn't possible I got connected to service who put me in contact with a knowledgeable person. He is genuinely interested if the dongle will resolve my problems so he could use it as a solution for others with similar problems.

Give it a try!

You contacted Sennheiser USA? I am from Spain...

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,342 of 3,671
No, Sennheiser Netherlands, as I'm a Dutchie. I don't know how Sennheiser Spain is organised, but the point I tried to make is that the front line service isn't very knowledgeable. Keep asking more questions and ask for a reconnect to a technical department. They (at least for Sennheiser Netherlands) are really willing to help and know about the problem.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,345 of 3,671
  Just registered here. First of all, great community! Made choosing a headphone much easier with all the reviews and user experiences.

Today I received my momentum 2.0 wireless! Although I don't have a lot to compare to (came from in ear) I can say they sound very clear and nice. Especially when directly connected to the computer using USB. Strange to experience more 'depth' in instrumental music than ever before.

For those who are in doubt because of the bluetooth problems (as I was), I can report that mine are working very well. Although I don't live in the big city, the range is very good. Can easily walk 25 feet through the house with concrete walls and still keep a solid signal to my iPhone 5s.

Two questions popped up after using it for a couple of hours:
- Does aptX improve sound quality much? What are the experiences of people who have tried both technologies on the momentum.
- My manual states a trick to get the battery life read out to you (pressing the volume button 3 times), but this doesn't seem to do the trick for mine. Anybody know if and how this works?

Congrats, and welcome..

On the aptx part. First, in order to get the benifit of aptx, you must have an source that support aptx, and you must be playing lossless files, such as flac.. Almost no difference in playing mp3 files.  Example.. A flac file might be 5 times or more larger than a mp3 file..With the flac file, and both source and headphone device support aptx, yes, there is an increase in SQ..

You ask does aptx approve sound quality that much? I will answer that in saying, that since I am android only, I will not buy any headphone or smartphone that doesn't support aptx..

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #1,346 of 3,671
Got my momentum wireless over-ear last week. No wow moment but everything is just perfect, Sennheiser style. If you have any questions feel free to message me (or post here)

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,347 of 3,671
  Got my momentum wireless over-ear last week. No wow moment but everything is just perfect, Sennheiser style. If you have any questions feel free to message me (or post here)

You can just create a review in the product page in Head-Fi.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,350 of 3,671
Oh I don't think I'm that good as a reviewer, english is not my primary language. But i can surely answer some questions

I have read this thread and asked this question a few times but I haven't got a reply yet. So I will try one last time :wink: How good does the microphone works outside? It's usually windy here, so it's most interesting to know if it works good during windy circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back