Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,366 of 3,671
the fact is, they're specifically made for some Sennheiser business headset which as far as i know do not support as APTX (being headsets not headphones, made to talk, not for music).
So I've also always thought that they do not support APTX and i never interested myself.
But i can't believe that Sennheiser would publish a reference guide with such an error.
If they did, not only are they objectionable for that, but also for suggesting a book APTX and non AAC adapter for the M2.
This would be unbelievable.

The website mentions "High quality audio mode for enhanched listening to music", but that quick guide is the only reference to apt-X I can find. I suppose now the question is, for those that have the BTD 800, does the LED go purple when you connect your Momentum?

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,367 of 3,671

I don't know about the HTC, but the X5 blows away the Note 3 in SQ (to my ears).

Not going to very off subject, but you are talking the X5 blows away the Note 3, and I guess all smartphones with SQ, but is it doing it in BLUETOOTH mode???????

I am assuming that it is doing it wired. 

Will the X5 be the same as the Note 3 in SQ if they both were transmitting bluetooth using aptx?

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,368 of 3,671
Quote:
The website mentions "High quality audio mode for enhanched listening to music", but that quick guide is the only reference to apt-X I can find. I suppose now the question is, for those that have the BTD 800, does the LED go purple when you connect your Momentum?

I haven't used it (though did ask the Sennheiser people about it and they had no idea) but it is in many ways an updated version of the BTD 500. I honestly don't see why they would get rid of the feature. Even if its main aim was to be used with the Presence headsets it is still a normal bluetooth dongle and is being given/sold to people who just want to listen to music (it is available for sale separetely where I am). The product sheet though does make no reference to aptx and I can't seem to find a full manual anywhere for it.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,369 of 3,671
  Just received my 2nd pair of M2s.

Did a full 3hr charge (per the instruction manual) and redid my same 15-20ft bluetooth test.

Same issue. Audio still skips (not quite as bad as 1st pair) even when simply reaching up to adjust the volume. I've also upgraded my Note 3 to android 5.0 since the last pair which I'd hoped would help.

NFC pairing is similary not very sensitive. Had to remove cell phone case again just to pair them but the phone pairs just fine with other NFC devices even with the case on.

Also noticing some irregularities in the obviously handmade earcups. Nothing serious, just highlights the physical differences between each set of M2s.

Sound is still very good over wireless but I'm cautious about the long-term bluetooth use. Don't plan on being 20ft away from my phone outside so I need to test these out and about to see how well they work and determine if I'll keep them.

Can't wait to try Denon's GC20. If they sound great and are built as well as they look, the M2s will go back for good.

I got a sneaky suspicion that the Denon's GC20 are going to be the best the high end bluetooth headphones. Why?  Because they are the last to come out. IMO, they saw what the competition has to offer, and tweeked their headphones a couple notches better. Well, if they are better then the M2, I am getting them..
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,370 of 3,671
Congratulations, you have deciphered the inner workings of hype-fi.org :)

That being said, the Denon's certainly hit a better price point. Local shop has it listed as available from the 1st of May.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,371 of 3,671
Can't find anything about it on the user manual... does the M2 Wireless have an auto-off/power save feature for when there is no audio signal and you forget to turn it off?

Did you or anyone else manage to get an answer on this?

Had my M2 Wireless for a week now & absolutely loving them. No problems whatsoever. Just wary that there may not be an auto-off on these headphones which makes me slightly nervous as I know at some point I'll forget to switch these off. Can't see any indicator lights when its on so hard to tell.

Just doing a test now but surprised there is nothing in the user guide about this.

Previously owned the BOSE soundlink bluetooth headphones & after about 10 mins with no audio you'd hear a quick signal before the auto-off kicked in.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,372 of 3,671
  Did you or anyone else manage to get an answer on this?

Had my M2 Wireless for a week now & absolutely loving them. No problems whatsoever. Just wary that there may not be an auto-off on these headphones which makes me slightly nervous as I know at some point I'll forget to switch these off. Can't see any indicator lights when its on so hard to tell.

Just doing a test now but surprised there is nothing in the user guide about this.

Previously owned the BOSE soundlink bluetooth headphones & after about 10 mins with no audio you'd hear a quick signal before the auto-off kicked in.

I would say there is no auto off feature so that people can use the anc for a more peaceful sleep while travelling. The bose qc25s are the same.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,374 of 3,671
  Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.

Makes perfect sense if using them on a long flight while sleeping etc.

Since you are loving your M2s like I do, just wondering are you getting any drop out, stuttering or connection problems?

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,376 of 3,671
I got a sneaky suspicion that the Denon's GC20 are going to be the best the high end bluetooth headphones. Why?  Because they are the last to come out. IMO, they saw what the competition has to offer, and tweeked their headphones a couple notches better. Well, if they are better then the M2, I am getting them..:D

Maybe, maybe not. Sounds lime they will be low powered like the m2's based on the battery life. The other issue is how will they sound???

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,377 of 3,671
Maybe, maybe not. Sounds lime they will be low powered like the m2's based on the battery life. The other issue is how will they sound???

Anybody know the price?  I am guessing  they are going to be in the 4 to 5 hundred price range. I am sure the SQ is going to be over the lower priced BT offerings, and up there with the M2, Def Tech, and H8. Also it is a known fact, that all of us have different sound taste too!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,379 of 3,671
Hey guys,

Is there anyone else that has an Android, and an HTC One M8, that owns the Momentum 2.0 (Over-Ear) G model?

They're fantastic so far (I owned the on-ear 1.0 model for ~1 year), but the volume buttons are actually causing track skips rather than changing the volume.

I did manage to once accidentally lower the volume via these controls, but it almost seems like it was a special combination of keys..

It's really weird.

It seems to happen with all apps that I've tried, so far. Built-in music player, spotify, and tidal.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,380 of 3,671
Originally Posted by drey08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're fantastic so far (I owned the on-ear 1.0 model for ~1 year)

I'd give a more in-depth review, but I'm still waiting to pass the burn-in phase befure that "wow" effect really kicks in (I remember replacing the 1.0 with a newer 1.0 a few months ago, had to be burnt-in before the new ones matched the sound of the old ones). But so far: The bass is louder, and the headphones are just altogether louder than the 1.0, even though I think both have the same impedance specs. Maybe the latter is caused by the over-ear nature, but I don't think that's the only reason. I tend to listen to about 4 notches from max (guys is there an Android app I can use to specify volume precisely? Like not in 10% linear increments..? :/ ), whereas I used to listen at much louder volume levels with the 1.0 on-ear model. They're quite louder, I like it! The sound is much more spacious, which is great. But these are just the initial impressions, it's bound to get better over time.

They're also much comfier than the 1.0 on-ear model, e.g. I don't have to keep readjusting my cups all the time anymore.

Also, they do a much better job at isolating outside noise. With high enough volume levels you won't hear a sound, and I think they don't leak much outside either. So no blushing when some girly music finds itself on your shuffle while you were just rocking some fine swedish metal.

My EHP-O2Di amp also drives these babies really solidly. The 1.0 suffered a bit at higher volumes, but the 2.0 eats it for breakfast.

They also look sexy as ****. Too bad they've only introduced two colors so far, so black is the obvious choice here. I've nothing against bright colors, I just think the ivory edition looks weird. And I own the HD 598, which have their own distinctive look (but they actually look rather nice). It's interesting that the 2.0 black version looks so much better than the 1.0 black (I owned the red/blue 1.0's). The 1.0 black seemed to be glossy, which looked really kitsch. A matte black would fit the 1.0 perfectly. The 2.0 black is more of a dark gray/silver-ish black than a true black color. The headband looks crazy good though.

Overall these are very sexy headphones.

What I don't like:

They've placed the actual volume/play controls closer to the ears. Like, really close. I don't understand the point of this change, it just forces me to move my hand into an unnatural position or use my right hand instead. Bizarre decision. The cable itself seems to be shorter than the 1.0 versions, but I actually like this. There's less chance my cable will get stuck on an unsuspecting passenger on the train (and boy, this happened a few times.. lol).

The controls themselves have weird bumps. E.g. the volume buttons are normally bumped, but the play/pause button actually has a crevice (an indentation, a hole). An odd choice here because it's actually harder to locate it by touch. It should have been a regular or bumped button.

I could also say I don't like the price, but if there are people who pay 4 figures for labeled shoes (or their equivalent, Beats headphones), well.. at least these have some damn value instead of just being a social status symbol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back