Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,261 of 3,671
Well, I caved on Wednesday evening and bought a new set of the M2 wireless. Just on public transport home from returning them again. Just not for me. BT connection was better on these, in the sense of fewer dropouts, but still plenty of stuttering. Not good enough on a premium priced set of portable 'phones imho. Also, found the ANC not that useful on a public bus. Did not deal will with bumps in the road - seemed to add pitch changes to the music. Minor, but noticeable.

May have lived with all this if sq was really that good. However, while it is v good wireless, not enough on its own to make me keep them. Also found the passive cable performance disappointing. Bit too fruity in the bass for me and timing therefore seemed off on rhythmic tracks.

Think I'll wait to see if the Sony MBR-1ABTs are any good. Either that or might check out the cheaper Senn Urbanite XL wireless phones.

IMO, the Sony MBR-1ABTs might have a shot at them, but I am sure the cheaper Urbanite XL don't. Unless you are just talking about connectivity..

Have you tried the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s yet?

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,262 of 3,671
IMO, the Sony MBR-1ABTs might have a shot at them, but I am sure the cheaper Urbanite XL don't. Unless you are just talking about connectivity..

Have you tried the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s yet?

The 1abts sound much worse than the m2s imo. Bass sounded too strong, boomy and muddy which interfered with the mids. They were also quite dark sounding, if you're a fan of the very warm and dark signature they might be suitable. The urbanites sounded even worse, a very similar signature but more closed in sounding and not as comfortable.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,263 of 3,671
Guys...
You all here seem to have tried at least two BT Headphones.
I would be very happy if you would come to my thread and post your comparisons and opinions about the headphones you've tried.
For the benefit of anybody looking for comparisons :wink:

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,264 of 3,671
The 1abts sound much worse than the m2s imo. Bass sounded too strong, boomy and muddy which interfered with the mids. They were also quite dark sounding, if you're a fan of the very warm and dark signature they might be suitable. The urbanites sounded even worse, a very similar signature but more closed in sounding and not as comfortable.

I was thinking the same, maybe based on the $400 vs $500 for the M2.. I had the Definitive Tech Symphony 1, $400,  which I returned because the M2 was much better. However, others heard and felt other wise.. Such are the ways of headphoners!! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,265 of 3,671
I am beginning to think that sennheiser  might be doing a little revision of their wireless headphone on the low...on amazon and on their on site there are delays of up to one month or more ..Strange

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #1,266 of 3,671
I am beginning to think that sennheiser  might be doing a little revision of their wireless headphone on the low...on amazon and on their on site there are delays of up to one month or more ..Strange

Either that, or they have been very popular and they are simply out of stock at Sennheiser. No evidence of any recall. Suppose they may have had a lot of returns so perhaps you are correct. Will await with interest.

For the moment, I've ordered some Urbanite wireless to try. I'm interesting in good quality sound, but does not need to be uncoloured. These are purely for use on commute with my phone, and at home office with MacBook Air. On paper, and on some reviews, these look like might be a reasonable compromise. No ANC to contend with, and considerably cheaper, plus an inline remote and mic for non-BT use. They should arrive tomorrow (ta, Amazon). If they are too dark sounding or similarly afflicted with BT stuttering, then it's back to the drawing board. Will probably wait then until I can demo some wired M2s in the hope that their sound signature is better than the M2 wireless when wired.

Have HD700s and 650s for critical listening through my Burson Conductor SL and Cyrus and Rega hifi setup. Not looking for the same sq (or close to it) for portable listening, as not interested in playing with portable DACs or such like. Will see.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,267 of 3,671
Either that, or they have been very popular and they are simply out of stock at Sennheiser. No evidence of any recall. Suppose they may have had a lot of returns so perhaps you are correct. Will await with interest.

For the moment, I've ordered some Urbanite wireless to try. I'm interesting in good quality sound, but does not need to be uncoloured. These are purely for use on commute with my phone, and at home office with MacBook Air. On paper, and on some reviews, these look like might be a reasonable compromise. No ANC to contend with, and considerably cheaper, plus an inline remote and mic for non-BT use. They should arrive tomorrow (ta, Amazon). If they are too dark sounding or similarly afflicted with BT stuttering, then it's back to the drawing board. Will probably wait then until I can demo some wired M2s in the hope that their sound signature is better than the M2 wireless when wired.

Have HD700s and 650s for critical listening through my Burson Conductor SL and Cyrus and Rega hifi setup. Not looking for the same sq (or close to it) for portable listening, as not interested in playing with portable DACs or such like. Will see.

Sounds interesting i am curious as to hoe the urbanites sound i was looking at them....

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,268 of 3,671

Wishful thinking. They are backordered due to demand. I have spoken directly through email with head of r&d and they have stated its normal operation of Bluetooth to have dropouts. I just hope people are not holding  on to theirs in hopes of a fix. I'm keeping mine as I got them with a heavy discount.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,269 of 3,671
  Sounds interesting i am curious as to hoe the urbanites sound i was looking at them....

They sound dark. But detailed, with punchy bass, nice mids, a bit too much low-mids, neutral highs.

For the moment, I've ordered some Urbanite wireless to try. If they are too dark sounding or similarly afflicted with BT stuttering, then it's back to the drawing board.

They are going back.
Pity that you did not ask us in the comparison thread, we would have warned you.
I even opened a "first impressions" thread on the Urbanite and described them as dark.
If the Momentum are dark for you, the urbanite will be like a black hole.

I was thinking the same, maybe based on the $400 vs $500 for the M2.. I had the Definitive Tech Symphony 1, $400,  which I returned because the M2 was much better. However, others heard and felt other wise.. Such are the ways of headphoners!! 
biggrin.gif

There is not "better". What's better for you is worse for @n00b2 (who also tried both).
Saying "better" is misleading for other people trying to understand what to buy.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,270 of 3,671

Again, I'll ask you: Where/How did you try the MDR-1ABT? They aren't out yet so either you tested them on an event such as CES or you're referring to the wired MDR-A. Please clarify.

Wishful thinking. They are backordered due to demand. I have spoken directly through email with head of r&d and they have stated its normal operation of Bluetooth to have dropouts. I just hope people are not holding  on to theirs in hopes of a fix. I'm keeping mine as I got them with a heavy discount.

Yeah, typical ignorant answer that was already posted by the Sennheiser rep here. Those BT connection issues are NOT normal and I am sure that at least the higher ups are not truly believing that's true. Those ppl are not dumb even if we sometimes get the impression they are.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,271 of 3,671

They sound dark. But detailed, with punchy bass, nice mids, a bit too much low-mids, neutral highs.

For the moment, I've ordered some Urbanite wireless to try. If they are too dark sounding or similarly afflicted with BT stuttering, then it's back to the drawing board.

They are going back.
Pity that you did not ask us in the comparison thread, we would have warned you.
I even opened a "first impressions" thread on the Urbanite and described them as dark.
If the Momentum are dark for you, the urbanite will be like a black hole.

biggrin.gif

There is not "better". What's better for you is worse for @n00b2 (who also tried both).
Saying "better" is misleading for other people trying to understand what to buy.

With the greatest of respect, I'll wait and judge with my own ears and sources. Nothing better than home demo. Also, the urbanites are much cheaper than the M2 wireless, so am likely to be more forgiving. Will also be interested to hear what the passive NC is like.

I did read the thread you're talking about, and was one of the many reviews and opinions I read before making a decision to order. I was very disappointed with the M2 wireless, though. Was expecting more from Sennheiser, to be honest both in functionality and (wired) sound quality.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,272 of 3,671

And it could be that all the available units are being gobbled up big time. They are selling faster than they can make them..
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,273 of 3,671
With the greatest of respect, I'll wait and judge with my own ears and sources. Nothing better than home demo. Also, the urbanites are much cheaper than the M2 wireless, so am likely to be more forgiving. Will also be interested to hear what the passive NC is like.

I did read the thread you're talking about, and was one of the many reviews and opinions I read before making a decision to order. I was very disappointed with the M2 wireless, though. Was expecting more from Sennheiser, to be honest both in functionality and (wired) sound quality.

With the greatest of respect back.. Most of the time, in ALL my replies, I state that I am a newbie. Also, I don't have golden ears either.. With that said, to me, my ears, everything was better with the M2 vs the Def Tech Symph 1. In addition, I might be one of, if not thee cheapest, tightest one with money on this site. The Def Tech Symp 1 were a cool $130 cheaper to me than the M2s.   $400 vs $530, I had to pay $30 tax  on the M2..

In reading your review of the M2 above, only confirms what I have stated before. On the same headphones, you can have vastly different opinions from different users, and they all be correct. On my side, you couldn't pry these M2s away from me.. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,274 of 3,671

With the greatest of respect back.. Most of the time, in ALL my replies, I state that I am a newbie. Also, I don't have golden ears either.. With that said, to me, my ears, everything was better with the M2 vs the Def Tech Symph 1. In addition, I might be one of, if not thee cheapest, tightest one with money on this site. The Def Tech Symp 1 were a cool $130 cheaper to me than the M2s.   $400 vs $530, I had to pay $30 tax  on the M2..

In reading your review of the M2 above, only confirms what I have stated before. On the same headphones, you can have vastly different opinions from different users, and they all be correct. On my side, you couldn't pry these M2s away from me.. 
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you love them so much. I really wanted to,but my experience was clearly very different than yours. They sounded amazing via BT, provided I was sat at home with them. Walking with my phone in my left or right trouser pocket led to almost constant stuttering when outside, and the ANC introduced pitchy effects when listening to music on a public bus. Coupled to a different (and, to my ears at least) less impressive performance when passive and wired, meant I just couldn't get on with them. They look beautiful, are put together very well, are hugely comfortable to wear, but I bought them for commuting and walking about and since I couldn't do either to my liking (even substituting the wired connection), I parted company with them. Albeit somewhat reluctantly.

Now heading out to walk the dog, with my trusty Sony MDR-10RBTs. The M2 wireless left these face down in the dirt in terms of absolute sound quality - really no comparison between the two; M2s superior sonically across the board. However, I will enjoy a fault free BT performance with the 10RBTs while out and walking about, phone in my to trouser pocket, as I have done since March 2014 when I got them. This is something I could not get close to with either pair of the M2s I owned, unless I held the phone in my hand and made sure not to turn my head too far to the right. Even then, I had the occasional stutter/break up.

I guess if the Urbanites can manage a similar, fault free connection to my phone as the 10RBTs, and improve on the sound quality of those a bit, I'll be happy. Or happy-ish. :grinning: I'd have the M2s back in a heartbeat, price difference or not, if the BT stuttering or ANC were not problematic for me. For those not suffering those concerns, I'm deeply envious.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,275 of 3,671
I'm glad you love them so much. I really wanted to,but my experience was clearly very different than yours. They sounded amazing via BT, provided I was sat at home with them. Walking with my phone in my left or right trouser pocket led to almost constant stuttering when outside, and the ANC introduced pitchy effects when listening to music on a public bus. Coupled to a different (and, to my ears at least) less impressive performance when passive and wired, meant I just couldn't get on with them. They look beautiful, are put together very well, are hugely comfortable to wear, but I bought them for commuting and walking about and since I couldn't do either to my liking (even substituting the wired connection), I parted company with them. Albeit somewhat reluctantly.

Now heading out to walk the dog, with my trusty Sony MDR-10RBTs. The M2 wireless left these face down in the dirt in terms of absolute sound quality - really no comparison between the two; M2s superior sonically across the board. However, I will enjoy a fault free BT performance with the 10RBTs while out and walking about, phone in my to trouser pocket, as I have done since March 2014 when I got them. This is something I could not get close to with either pair of the M2s I owned, unless I held the phone in my hand and made sure not to turn my head too far to the right. Even then, I had the occasional stutter/break up.

I guess if the Urbanites can manage a similar, fault free connection to my phone as the 10RBTs, and improve on the sound quality of those a bit, I'll be happy. Or happy-ish. :grinning: I'd have the M2s back in a heartbeat, price difference or not, if the BT stuttering or ANC were not problematic for me. For those not suffering those concerns, I'm deeply envious.

Cool on walking the dog with the Sonys on, one of my favorite pastimes.. 
wink.gif

BTW, I am a fan of the Sony MDR 10RBT too..
wink.gif

As you can see above, I had the 10RBT, 1RBT MK2, and the Harman Kardon BT, all at the same time.

The 10RBT was slight better(my term)than the Harman Kardon BT. However, the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2 was a couple levels over the 10RBT and  the Harman Kardon. Now, picture my M2, being over the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2.. Of the 3 above, the Mk2 was the best. When I had the Def Tech, M2, and MK2 together, the M2 was the best.. Knocking on wood, I have no connection problems..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back