Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,246 of 3,671
[...]
The Parrot Zik is the biggest example of this and from comments in the last few pages of this thread the Momentum seems to be in the same boat (though not nearly to the extent of the Zik).

I completely agree with this, I've tried the Zik 2.0 and while they are okay (but nothing exceptionnal) in BT they sound like **** with the wire.

[...]
On my wireless versions I find the sound when wired and with ANC off relatively poor. Definitely a bit boomy and veiled. I have no idea if that's how the wired version sounds, but I would find it strange. The wireless version really does sound much better when switched on, it comes alive and feels more balanced and detailed. It's all a bit puzzling.

Idem here, I've tried the OE BT model yesterday and they sound really bad for a 400 $ pair to me. Even at 250 $ I would't buy them. Unfortunately the AE model wasn't available for demoing, hope it sound better because the wired model sounds okay to me while being too bass-y for me ( Note that i only listen to electronic music so definitively not a model for people listening to acoustic music I think..)

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,247 of 3,671
On my wireless versions I find the sound when wired and with ANC off relatively poor. Definitely a bit boomy and veiled. I have no idea if that's how the wired version sounds, but I would find it strange. The wireless version really does sound much better when switched on, it comes alive and feels more balanced and detailed. It's all a bit puzzling.

I was expecting to be able to use them passively with an amp to get better sound, and 'make do' with wireless when on the move, but it's turned out the opposite.

Anyway I do like them, and will keep them. They look and feel amazing, and it's so convenient having wireless sound, but I have to say I'm not massively blown away by the sound overall.

Just the opposite here. The M2s woo me with their BT performance playing flac files off my Note 4. Bluetooth is my main priority too. At home, I connect the M2 up to my  02-0DAC, and the M2s went up another leve playing flac files in winamp. They keep me smiling..
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,248 of 3,671

I can say (to my ears) that listening to them through my X5 wired, in passive mode, sounds very good. I have the M1s also, and used to listen to them through my iPod touch, and can tell you I thought they sounded just like the people describing wired mode passive for the M2 (not as good). I later listened to them both with my X5 (with and without E17 amp), and find them to be much brighter, and bass was more under control. I DO find the M2s to be less forgiving of lesser quality music than the M1s, but the soundstage is bigger, and detail is better. Very similar otherwise.

I find that listening to the M2 (both wireless and wired) on the same device (the Note 3), the wireless sounds better, but when I listen wireless on the Note 3 and wired on the X5 (passive), the wired mode sounds better..... I suppose it would depend on the DAP. I also think they sound bad in both modes using the iPod touch (compared with my other DAPs). Hope that helps without going into TOO many details.. )

I am newbie, but it could be what you are feeding the M2.. 
On my side, I have the Note 4. I feed it FLAC files. the Note 4, like your Note 3, has aptx, the M2 has aptx, Flac files have way more data then mp3 files. Aptx allows more data to be feed to the M2.

My M2 sounds real good wireless and even better wired.  I am constantly feeding it flac files, whether it be bluetooth or wired.. Just my 2 cents..

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,249 of 3,671
Maybe a silly question, but do these sound better than Beats headphones? And how do these compare to the B&W P5? (The original Sennheiser Momentum was just a side-grade since it didn't sound high quality to me also with a different sound signature). 

I'm thinking about the wired version since I read bluetooth problems in this thread?

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,250 of 3,671
  Maybe a silly question, but do these sound better than Beats headphones?
I'm thinking about the wired version since I read bluetooth problems in this thread?

1) a silly question. Anything sounds better than Beats. Even my dog.
2) there are a LOT of interesting Bluetooth Headphones out there. There is no reason to go wired just because these have problems.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,251 of 3,671

I am newbie, but it could be what you are feeding the M2.. 
On my side, I have the Note 4. I feed it FLAC files. the Note 4, like your Note 3, has aptx, the M2 has aptx, Flac files have way more data then mp3 files. Aptx allows more data to be feed to the M2.

My M2 sounds real good wireless and even better wired.  I am constantly feeding it flac files, whether it be bluetooth or wired.. Just my 2 cents..

I am feeding it many different qualities of music. But, in this case I was talking about flac files.... I was getting to the point that it all comes down to the DAP that you are listening to the phones with. I used to use the iPod touch for the M1s, and I wasn't as impressed as I am with my Note 3 (using Adapt Sound), and with the X5. I found the Senn PX360 tuned way better to the iPod touch (than the M1s or the M2s), but sound terrible with my Note 3 and X5...

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,252 of 3,671
  Maybe a silly question, but do these sound better than Beats headphones? And how do these compare to the B&W P5? (The original Sennheiser Momentum was just a side-grade since it didn't sound high quality to me also with a different sound signature). 

If you didn't like the M1s, then you probably won't like the M2s either. They are very similar in sound signature. I have the B&W P5, and I can say (to my ears), there is no comparison. The P5s have a really loose and bloated bass, and the highs are so rolled off that they are almost non-existant. IMHO the M1s were not a side-grade, but an upgrade.

Beats ARE getting better, but they are still very much akin to a $20 set of no-name headphones (in the sound department). Because of what one might listen to ALL the time, one may be so used to Beats or something like that, that one may think (at first listen) that much better headphones sound like crap. Just give anything you try a long listen (at least a couple of days), to be able to make your own fair assessment.

If you are a bass-head to the point that you crave the boomy bass of the Beats, then the Momentums (of any model) will not be for you. But if you want bass that is a little exaggerated (fun), but defined pretty well, then you might like them.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,253 of 3,671
    If you are a bass-head to the point that you crave the boomy bass of the Beats, then the Momentums (of any model) will not be for you. But if you want bass that is a little exaggerated (fun), but defined pretty well, then you might like them.

@ubs28 if you are a basshead like me, come to my thread and read the comparison of the best bt headphones for bass.
I still did not try the Momentum (have to send back tha BeoPlay H8 to have the money for a Momentum). But knowing Sennheiser, I very much highky doubt they will ever possibly come even closer to what a true basshead needs.
But well As said, I did not try the momentum.
But I did try the Urbanite and they are said (from Sennheiser) to be more bassy. And are not so bassy after all.
They just boost bass.
But a true basshead does NOT want an headphone which fakes bass by boosting it, like the Beats.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,254 of 3,671
@ubs28 if you are a basshead like me, come to my thread and read the comparison of the best bt headphones for bass.
I still did not try the Momentum (have to send back tha BeoPlay H8 to have the money for a Momentum). But knowing Sennheiser, I very much highky doubt they will ever possibly come even closer to what a true basshead needs.
But well As said, I did not try the momentum.
But I did try the Urbanite and they are said (from Sennheiser) to be more bassy. And are not so bassy after all.
They just boost bass.
But a true basshead does NOT want an headphone which fakes bass by boosting it, like the Beats.

Well man can you give me the name of your thread on thead on the best bass. I am not a bass head per say but sometimes, I want bass to rattle my fillings, and make earth worms jump out of the ground in glee lol. However I prefer bass that does not overly muddle the mids. Thanks for your time

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,255 of 3,671
Well man can you give me the name of your thread on thead on the best bass. I am not a bass head per say but sometimes, I want bass to rattle my fillings, and make earth worms jump out of the ground in glee lol. However I prefer bass that does not overly muddle the mids. Thanks for your time

This is my thread.
But it is not for bassheads. It is for comparisons of all the best Bluetooth Headphones.
I have personally tested more than 30, always in side by side comparisons of at least 3 headphones, often more.
But as you will read, it is not just me, the thread is meant for everybody as a place to collect comparisons.
There is another beautiful thread by @n00b2 for talking of single high end bluetooth headphones, but mine is specialized in comparing. WHich means, all people who have tried at least 2 bluetooth headphones are invited to post there their impressions.
On my first post I give a couple of rules for that, which may sound annoying, but are needed to speak all the same language and be as much objective as possible, and so also as much useful as possible.
Because things like "i like it" or "it is the best" means nothing by themselves.

So, the fact is, I am a bit basshead. But as you, I only look for quality bass, and I do not like artificial boost, I like good headphones with a full range potential which deeply extends in the low range in a as natural as possible way. Then I can boost the bass when I want.
Most headphones anyway boost the bass a bit. And those which don't, generally do not give a powerful bass not even with EQ (not for a basshead).

In the first post you find a list of what I have tested, in order of overall excellence.
At the bottom you find a list of the best for bass (the very best happen to be very good in all frequencies, and the top one is actually the very best overall, imo).

Feel free to ask and comment.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #1,256 of 3,671
thank you all again ^_^because of the price and that I would mostly use the headphones at home/library and sometimes on the bus/train I decided to go with the wired version.

They should arrive on wednesday, holiday in germany on monday :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #1,257 of 3,671

I am feeding it many different qualities of music. But, in this case I was talking about flac files.... I was getting to the point that it all comes down to the DAP that you are listening to the phones with. I used to use the iPod touch for the M1s, and I wasn't as impressed as I am with my Note 3 (using Adapt Sound), and with the X5. I found the Senn PX360 tuned way better to the iPod touch (than the M1s or the M2s), but sound terrible with my Note 3 and X5...

Okay, and also, there are differences on the way headphones perform on apple vs andriod, etc. too

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,258 of 3,671

I was expecting to be able to use them passively with an amp to get better sound, and 'make do' with wireless when on the move, but it's turned out the opposite.

Anyway I do like them, and will keep them. They look and feel amazing, and it's so convenient having wireless sound, but I have to say I'm not massively blown away by the sound overall.

Hrmph, so this is really weird. This morning I've been listening to them wired, with ANC off, but this time streaming Tidal from my iPad to my Leckerton DAC/AMP, and now I find the sound distinctly better with the ANC off. The Leckerton is a lovely and musical amp, but I didn't think it would make a big difference. This could all just be my brain burning in, of course. :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,259 of 3,671
Got a refund. May consider purchasing again later from somewhere I can do an extensive demo. Missing them already, as comfortable, well put together headphones with great SQ, at least in the home environment.

Don't want to rub it in, but I am setting here with my M2s, wired coming  off the 02-0DAC, playing Flac files on my PC..sheer joy. I have absolutely no BT ISSUES, no BT connections problems what so ever. My M2 just performs, BT and wired!!
wink.gif

Lucky you. I'm tempted now to go for the wired version.

Well, I caved on Wednesday evening and bought a new set of the M2 wireless. Just on public transport home from returning them again. Just not for me. BT connection was better on these, in the sense of fewer dropouts, but still plenty of stuttering. Not good enough on a premium priced set of portable 'phones imho. Also, found the ANC not that useful on a public bus. Did not deal will with bumps in the road - seemed to add pitch changes to the music. Minor, but noticeable.

May have lived with all this if sq was really that good. However, while it is v good wireless, not enough on its own to make me keep them. Also found the passive cable performance disappointing. Bit too fruity in the bass for me and timing therefore seemed off on rhythmic tracks.

Think I'll wait to see if the Sony MBR-1ABTs are any good. Either that or might check out the cheaper Senn Urbanite XL wireless phones.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,260 of 3,671
Hrmph, so this is really weird. This morning I've been listening to them wired, with ANC off, but this time streaming Tidal from my iPad to my Leckerton DAC/AMP, and now I find the sound distinctly better with the ANC off. The Leckerton is a lovely and musical amp, but I didn't think it would make a big difference. This could all just be my brain burning in, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

First off, this is novice, commenting back to an expert!!
biggrin.gif

When I listen to the M2s wired, I always have ANC off. Because the first time I tried it, to me, they improved on the good SQ I was getting in bluetooth..

That is why my M2s sound better wired and amped than the already good sounding bluetooth..  I think all that came out right!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back