Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,216 of 3,671
The M2 Wireless 2.0 is too expensive for me now, but I'm thinking to purchase it somewhere in the future (where it may get cheaper or I have more money available
redface.gif
).

Can it be used as a computer headset for gaming as well? I mean it does have a mic, does it?

Once you start using the mic, the headphone goes into some sort of bluetooth headset mode (even when connecting through USB). This drops the audio quality considerably as it seems to lower the sample rate to telephony levels. So you can't really use it as a gaming headset in my opinion.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,217 of 3,671
Just for the record, I'm not having BT issues with mine at all either.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,219 of 3,671
I've teste the OE model this afternoon.
While the BT connexion was working with > 100 devices activated around at 6-7 meters the sound was really really bad way too much mid bass the rest of the sound was drowned into it.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,220 of 3,671
I'm still finding I prefer the sound of these wireless with ANC on. When I go wired the bass seems a bit too boomy and less well defined and the treble seems a little veiled. Wireless, even via my non aptx iphone just seems better balanced, slightly brighter, less woofy.

I'm not sure I am 100% going to keep them though. I much prefer my Grado RS1i, but I wanted a headphone I can take out, use on plane and in office.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,221 of 3,671
I'm still finding I prefer the sound of these wireless with ANC on. When I go wired the bass seems a bit too boomy and less well defined and the treble seems a little veiled. Wireless, even via my non aptx iphone just seems better balanced, slightly brighter, less woofy.

I'm not sure I am 100% going to keep them though. I much prefer my Grado RS1i, but I wanted a headphone I can take out, use on plane and in office.

Nkt sure you can compare the 2, they really are quite different. Open back will always sohnd better imo.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,222 of 3,671
Agreed. I don't expect them to be even remotely similar. I'm just not wowed by them. But for portable cans with ANC they are probably good enough.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,223 of 3,671
hello you all ^_^ <3

I hope it is okay to ask a two questions. I read the first 20 pages but still..

did someone try the M2 AND the Wireless ? If I use the cable on the wireless does it sound the same like the M2? (probably won't use the NC in normal day life)

I'm on the fence about buying either the M2 or the Wireless version. 

I want to use it on my NWZ-A17 for 24bit/96khz files (with the cable I assume, if I read correctly the bluetooth connection supports CD quality so I'll need to use the cable to get everything out of my files) and on my iPhone with BT for my normal FLAC files. 

Did you hear a difference between the M2 and the Wireless Version used with cable? 

also the size, I looked on the sennheiser page but did not find anything about the size..are the wireless bigger than the M2?

Thanks so much to anyone who answers, I'm really on the fence and are lost right now. 

Good god it seems you all just started discussing something similar to my question a few hours ago O.o.. sorry!

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #1,224 of 3,671
  hello you all ^_^ <3

I hope it is okay to ask a two questions. I read the first 20 pages but still..

did someone try the M2 AND the Wireless ? If I use the cable on the wireless does it sound the same like the M2? (probably won't use the NC in normal day life)

I'm on the fence about buying either the M2 or the Wireless version. 

I want to use it on my NWZ-A17 for 24bit/96khz files (with the cable I assume, if I read correctly the bluetooth connection supports CD quality so I'll need to use the cable to get everything out of my files) and on my iPhone with BT for my normal FLAC files. 

Did you hear a difference between the M2 and the Wireless Version used with cable? 

also the size, I looked on the sennheiser page but did not find anything about the size..are the wireless bigger than the M2?

Thanks so much to anyone who answers, I'm really on the fence and are lost right now. 

Good god it seems you all just started discussing something similar to my question a few hours ago O.o.. sorry!

They are the same size. According to the Sennheiser specs the wireless version has a greater clamping force and has a higher impedence in passive mode. I imagine it would be heavier too since it is packing a bluetooth chip and ANC circuitry. Don't you how they compare sound wise in passive mode though.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,225 of 3,671
The differences in clamp, weight and impedance are so small you won't even notice it. For an average joe like me i couldnt tell any difference in sound between the wired and wireless version when run in passive mode. In active mode the differences are more apparent as the wired version naturally loses some its detail in noisy environments.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,226 of 3,671
Returning them today. Can't get into the sound. Bass seems boomy and one dimensional and the treble seems veiled. Sound better at lower volumes. Not for me though.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,227 of 3,671
Also of note, the Momentum Wireless does not play nicely with Sennheiser's BTD 500 USB dongle. As soon as the headset connects, the dongle will shut itself off and disconnect. Sennheiser support confirmed that there is a known issue with the BTD 500 and that they are working on a firmware update (to the dongle, not the headset) to fix it. The support representative did not know when the update would be available.

Have had the same experience. Contacted Sennheiser Netherlands - they support-guy said he tested the BTD500 with the momentum 2.0 and it should work fine... The dongle must be defective, he said, so I had it replaced. Guess what? Same problem..
So the conclusion above seems to be correct... thanks Sennheiser NL... 
mad.gif

Does anyone have experience with other BT-dongles to stream apt-x from a windows-PC? Which one supports that?

(Meanwhile very happy with my Momentum 2.0 Ivory; even used it while mowing the lawn yesterday 
o2smile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,228 of 3,671
  Returning them today. Can't get into the sound. Bass seems boomy and one dimensional and the treble seems veiled. Sound better at lower volumes. Not for me though.

If you thought the bass was boomy and one dimensional on the M2 you might prefer the AKG k845bt or Definitive Technology Symphony 1. Their bass is more more balanced and neutral. Not sure what your other requirements are in terms of size, bluetooth codecs, battery life, ANC, etc and if either of those would suit you overall.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,229 of 3,671

Have had the same experience. Contacted Sennheiser Netherlands - they support-guy said he tested the BTD500 with the momentum 2.0 and it should work fine... The dongle must be defective, he said, so I had it replaced. Guess what? Same problem..
So the conclusion above seems to be correct... thanks Sennheiser NL... 
mad.gif

Does anyone have experience with other BT-dongles to stream apt-x from a windows-PC? Which one supports that?

(Meanwhile very happy with my Momentum 2.0 Ivory; even used it while mowing the lawn yesterday 
o2smile.gif

The problem may be that the Senny Dongle is old like the Chinese Wall and uses Bluetooth 2.1
Alternatives?
As a dongle, I have tried and actually use the Azio BTD-V401. It is not independent as the Senny, it needs drivers and software: the CSR Harmony. It comes with it but you better download the latest version from Azio website. You must at first install the program (and at first disable the bluetooth Service of Windows) and only after that plugging the dongle.
It should but is not able to provide enough bandwidth to a mouse and a headphone at same time, so if you use it with a BT mouse you have stuttered sound.
There are also these two from japan:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B007PVKOO4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3%E3%83%AF%E3%82%B5%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4-Bluetooth-USB%E3%82%A2%E3%83%80%E3%83%97%E3%82%BF-class1-MM-BTUD43/dp/B00HX64XUM/ref=pd_sim_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BZSCPHH9FTQRSVJF7YT

They are not only aptx but also Class 1. Which should only make a difference when connected to a class 1 headphone (only the Plantronics Backbeat Pro are Class 1 unfortunately) but I think it will make a little difference also with any other headphone, giving a slightly better range.
You can find them also in www.yodobashi.com and in Rakuten Global

Then there is the Creative BT-D1 and BW-D1. I still did not understand the difference, and the answer of their support was hermetic.
Most people just buy the BT-D1. It is like the Senny, independent, no software needed.

Then there is another alternative: the Avantree Priva. It is a 3.5 adapter, so theoretically there should/may be a degradation of sound due to more passages (from digital to analog, from analog to digital, and again from digital to analog). But I did not notice any difference with Azio and Senny.
They made a new version, I have just skyped with the Product Manager (I am a tester), I am not sure if is already available. The difference is a better sleep time (for tv shows where there is lot of silence, the thing was going in sleep mode), an automatic power function when connected via USB to the TV, and the Aptx also works in Dual Link mode (you can connect TWO headphones at same time and both listen to the same music or tv show, both in Aptx. The old one was using the SBC codec in Dual Link mode).
They are also making a new bigger adapter, a receiver/transmitter, with better range and also optical connections. But not yet available.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,230 of 3,671
  They are not only aptx but also Class 1. Which should only make a difference when connected to a class 1 headphone (only the Plantronics Backbeat Pro are Class 1 unfortunately) but I think it will make a little difference also with any other headphone, giving a slightly better range.
You can find them also in www.yodobashi.com and in Rakuten Global

I have tried connecting my class 2 headphones to a a class 1 adapter quite a few times to see if it made any difference. I didn't find any improvement in range at all (indoors through walls only. never tried outdoors). All class 2 headphones I tried still started dropping out at the same locations as with the class 2 adapters. The only thing that seemed to improve range was listening to poorer quality audio such as low bitrate mp3 and podcasts, though that kinda defeats the purpose of buying high quality bluetooth headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back