Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #106 of 3,671
You are certainly right on all counts, but I do not have any music that is higher than 16/44, so that is fine with me. While I DO realize that any phone can output that quality, I have read that the X5 has better sound than the phone. You could be right about the X5 not having much more to offer than my Note 3 (especially with Viper4Android installed), but I suppose we shall see. I cannot agree, nor disagree, until I have recieved it and listened to it for a bit. But, I was looking for a dedicated DAP anyhow, and even if it at least sounds the same, then I will be happy.

BTW, that is also why I just know I am going to love these new cans, even if they sound exactly the same as the Momentum 1. Using Viper4Android, I tick Clarity, with a value of 5, and now the Momentum 1s are absolutely sparkly, without being sibilant (that was my ONLY complaint about them). If the soundstage has improved (as I have read), then they will be perfect (for me, for portables).

Ok, I just wanted to make you aware of the degradation in using the x5 with an aptx converter, in case that was your only use for the x5. It sounds like you have other equipment to use the x5 with tho too.

As far as the x5 sounding better than a phone, id agree based on what I read about it. But that is for wired use, because of the high quality dac and amp besting smartphones' integrated components. But if a phone is bluetoothing a signal out digitally, then the signal arrives at the momentum wireless in digital 'lossless' without using the phone's dac or amp, so I think that wpuld be equivalent to any other digital source, since the components of the momentum wireless are now what is doing the analog conversion and amplification. Probably derailing from the point of this thread.

I am excited to have read that u use v4a with your M1s with great success. Makes me feel more confident I can order these for my Note 3 Verizon with Biggins rom that has v4a. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #107 of 3,671
Ok, I just wanted to make you aware of the degradation in using the x5 with an aptx converter, in case that was your only use for the x5. It sounds like you have other equipment to use the x5 with tho too.

As far as the x5 sounding better than a phone, id agree based on what I read about it. But that is for wired use, because of the high quality dac and amp besting smartphones' integrated components. But if a phone is bluetoothing a signal out digitally, then the signal arrives at the momentum wireless in digital 'lossless' without using the phone's dac or amp, so I think that wpuld be equivalent to any other digital source, since the components of the momentum wireless are now what is doing the analog conversion and amplification. Probably derailing from the point of this thread.

I am excited to have read that u use v4a with your M1s with great success. Makes me feel more confident I can order these for my Note 3 Verizon with Biggins rom that has v4a. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate that. And, yes I do have other equipment to use with it. If it is what I am hoping it is, then I will be set up for portable (ffor now).

Yeah, you are right, that IS based on wired. I wasnt totally thinking about that one. Although, isnt the aptx on the sammy and the m2 lossy? I had read that there is actually aptx, and aptx lossless. I havent delved too far into it just yet, but here is a good read about it. Page 2 has a couple of links with definitions of both.
www.head-fi.org/t/601665/what-are-head-fi-members-views-on-apt-x-lossless-codec-over-bluetooth

Yeah, after I got v4a, I put my ipod away (for portable), and niw use the Fiio E17 for a DAC for my laptop. Hope you enjoy! Ill post on here how they sound with the phone (hopefully tomorrow).

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #108 of 3,671
Thanks, I appreciate that. And, yes I do have other equipment to use with it. If it is what I am hoping it is, then I will be set up for portable (ffor now).

Yeah, you are right, that IS based on wired. I wasnt totally thinking about that one. Although, isnt the aptx on the sammy and the m2 lossy? I had read that there is actually aptx, and aptx lossless. I havent delved too far into it just yet, but here is a good read about it. Page 2 has a couple of links with definitions of both.
www.head-fi.org/t/601665/what-are-head-fi-members-views-on-apt-x-lossless-codec-over-bluetooth

Yeah, after I got v4a, I put my ipod away (for portable), and niw use the Fiio E17 for a DAC for my laptop. Hope you enjoy! Ill post on here how they sound with the phone (hopefully tomorrow).

I look forward to your thoughts. Please dont hesitate to share your v4a bluetooth preferences as well :)

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #109 of 3,671
Hello, I hope somone can help with this.

From one of the videos it appears that it comes with a cable with a remote and microphone, is that the case and if so is the remote iOS compliant?

I would like to have the NC but would not use the wireless function, I change between my phone and my laptop many times a day to take calls on either the phone or Lync.

Kind regards Morten

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #110 of 3,671

From one of the videos it appears that it comes with a cable with a remote and microphone, is that the case and if so is the remote iOS compliant?

I would like to have the NC but would not use the wireless function, I change between my phone and my laptop many times a day to take calls on either the phone or Lync.

Kind regards Morten

The Wireless NC Momentum comes with a cabel without any buttons on it. All the buttons are on the headphone itself. 
The Momentum Wireless is compatible with both iOS and Android devices, so don't worry :)!

Here is a quick guide:

http://nl-nl.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/4659/M2AEBT_Quickguide.pdf

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #111 of 3,671

Kind regards Morten

Just to be clear about this, any headphone can be iOS compatible (this is assuming we are talking about a wired connection). It is not in the headphone that makes it so, it is in the cable. As carlove says, the cable that comes with the Momentum Wireless has no buttons on it, but you could use a different cable (most likely). It all depends on if the manufacturer made the plug proprietory or not (Bose AE2 comes to mind). If it is standard 3.5 with no connection brackets and things like that, then you could use any cable (iOS compliant or not). It if is like the Momentum 1 (and my memory serves), it has no proprietary brackets, but it is a smaller jack than the standard 3.5. With the phones plugged in with the wire, I am not sure if you can use the buttons on the cans to control anything, as I think that is just for bluetooth functionality. Hope this helps!

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #112 of 3,671
  Just to be clear about this, any headphone can be iOS compatible (this is assuming we are talking about a wired connection). It is not in the headphone that makes it so, it is in the cable. As carlove says, the cable that comes with the Momentum Wireless has no buttons on it, but you could use a different cable (most likely). It all depends on if the manufacturer made the plug proprietory or not (Bose AE2 comes to mind). If it is standard 3.5 with no connection brackets and things like that, then you could use any cable (iOS compliant or not). It if is like the Momentum 1 (and my memory serves), it has no proprietary brackets, but it is a smaller jack than the standard 3.5. With the phones plugged in with the wire, I am not sure if you can use the buttons on the cans to control anything, as I think that is just for bluetooth functionality. Hope this helps!

Right, I forgot. The technique is built into the wire, yes.
But the normal Momentum 2.0s have a iOS cable, so that one (probably?) fits into a Wireless Momentum? That way you could still get best of both worlds.

I'll see if I can test that when my Wireless' comes in.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #113 of 3,671
  Right, I forgot. The technique is built into the wire, yes.
But the normal Momentum 2.0s have a iOS cable, so that one (probably?) fits into a Wireless Momentum? That way you could still get best of both worlds.

I'll see if I can test that when my Wireless' comes in.

Thanks much appreciated, 

If it works I will then just have to get the right cable...

It would be nice to have some opinions of the NC, I will use it in an open office environment and are interested if it can reduce the noise when persons are talking next to you...

Kind regards Morten

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #114 of 3,671
Hi all,

Found this forum as was looking for info/reviews on the Momentum Wireless.

Thanks for sharing all you have so far, really helps.

I've been looking for some noise cancelling headphones, considered the Bose QC25, and decided to get the Samsung Level Overs (as wanted a fuller package).

However the Momentum Wireless seem great, if rather pricey.

How does the noise cancellation stack up compared to the QC25 or the Level Overs?

If the noise cancellation is as good as the Level Overs I think I'll go the Momentums, as they do look great, and seems they'll have by the far the best audio.

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #115 of 3,671
  Hi all,

I've been looking for some noise cancelling headphones, considered the Bose QC25, and decided to get the Samsung Level Overs (as wanted a fuller package).

How does the noise cancellation stack up compared to the QC25 or the Level Overs?

If the noise cancellation is as good as the Level Overs I think I'll go the Momentums, as they do look great, and seems they'll have by the far the best audio.

Thanks!

I have received my new pair, and have been listening to them for about an hour now, and I will give my first impressions. I think that the ANC is decent, but more on the lows. They are advertised as having hybrid ANC (supposedly it will cut out some highs too). I find that voices are not cut in volume very much at all, except the bass part of the overall tone of the voice. So you will still hear the voice, but parts of the overall tone are cut down.... As a whole package, though, ANC is pretty good. I would not call them as good as the QC25's (My ole' lady has them for me to test). I have not heard the Level Overs, so I can't comment on those. But, I would say, having the ability to go wired with decent ANC, and without, then go over to bluetooth with ANC (and given the sound quality, which is pretty darn good so far), they are worth the price, if you plan on using them as a versatile phone like they were meant to be.

I'll try and post more when I have a good long listen to them on the quality (to my old arse ears).

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #116 of 3,671
Great, thanks.

My main plan is to use them whilst working at my computer. Being able to cut out the fan noise would be great, and I also run a dehumidifier (although hopefully that's not a long term thing).

So long listening comfort is important to me. I guess I felt a bit underwhelmed when I saw the QC25's, they're lightweight and have the best ANC apparently, but their build didn't seem to match their price to me, and I didn't really get to test the listening experience but I heard it wasn't great.

I've never owned decent headphones though, so as long as a pair sound decent when you're paying a fair bit that's good enough for me I think.

How comfortable are the momentum's?

I have a reasonably large head and ears.

It'd be great to have something I can wear most of the day.

Them looking great and being able to use them out and about/as a headset is a bonus.

I know people warn against getting a do everything product, but it seems the momentum wireless may well be an excellent pair that do do an awful lot well.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #117 of 3,671
  Great, thanks.

My main plan is to use them whilst working at my computer. Being able to cut out the fan noise would be great, and I also run a dehumidifier (although hopefully that's not a long term thing).

So long listening comfort is important to me. I guess I felt a bit underwhelmed when I saw the QC25's, they're lightweight and have the best ANC apparently, but their build didn't seem to match their price to me, and I didn't really get to test the listening experience but I heard it wasn't great.

I've never owned decent headphones though, so as long as a pair sound decent when you're paying a fair bit that's good enough for me I think.

How comfortable are the momentum's?

I have a reasonably large head and ears.

It'd be great to have something I can wear most of the day.

Them looking great and being able to use them out and about/as a headset is a bonus.

I know people warn against getting a do everything product, but it seems the momentum wireless may well be an excellent pair that do do an awful lot well.

They're very comfortable, much more than the first ones.
Measure your ears. Mine are 6,5 centimeters in 'height and max 4 in 'width'. They fit me, but just BARELY.
The width is the largest issue for me. But because they're very softly padded it the fit ''issue'' fades with me.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #118 of 3,671
  Hi all,

Thanks!

My Momentums have been delivered and I'm anxiously waiting to get home to try them. I had the QC25's and while the noise canceling is really good, the sound quality is not on the same level as the Momentums.

BTW- The Sennheiser rep said that if the battery in the new Momentums ever die, they can send you a new one for $49

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #119 of 3,671
I did not realise there was a full on conversation between the gents standing next to me until taking off the Momentum wireless. Very impressed as a die-hard IEM fan. Unfortunately the Urbanite wireless battery was iffy so could not compare the sister headphone. Giving very serious thought to trading in either the Sony or P7 for a nc wireless of some sort.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #120 of 3,671
Hi guys, newbie here!

I've had my eyes on the Momentum's for a while now however I've just noticed they've released the 2.0.

What is the different between 1.0 and 2.0 apart from the folding mechanism?

Either way, both would be my first high end purchase, previously owning several headphones under £70. Is it worth the step up to £269?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back