Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Oct 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,311 of 3,671
I just received mine from Netonnet in Sweden and they're.. REV01 from 2014! Damnit, now I have to send them back. 

Björn: Did you contact Sennheiser directly?

I went through my retailer. I might have had an advantage in buying from a fairly small local store so they could give me a more personal service than you would expect from the big warehouses.

But after their initial contact with Sennheiser I was put into contact with them directly.

Have you tried your pair? Do you experience any problems with them?

Björn

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #2,315 of 3,671
  For US folks, it looks like early November for us.  I ordered some off Amazon, and it says my delivery is scheduled for Nov 5-19.

I ordered mine back on August 30th and I just got an email from Amazon saying that were going to be delivered this coming Monday, however, it then updated to this Friday the 9th! So you may still be in luck!

Screenshot of my order:

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #2,316 of 3,671
Hi everyone,

I have been looking for the M2 wireless for a while and am very happy to see that sennheiser seems to have solve this hardware problem with the first version and that the headphones v2 should be in stores before the end of the year. As I am waiting for the headphones to be in stock here in Switzerland, I have a few questions concerning the use of these headphones. Maybe someone could just help me, it would be much appreciated.

- If I understand well, the noise reduction cannot be switched off in wireless mode, is this correct?
- But if I have no more battery, I can wire the headphone directly to my device and still listen to the music, obviously without
any noise reduction, right?
- If the headphone is physically connected to my audio device, then I can listen to music without any (additional) compression or is there some compression algorithm always going on through the headset?
- If the battery level is ok but I still wire the headphone to my audio device, can I choose to switch the noise reduction on and off? Does it then change the compression of the audio files I listen to?

Thank you very much in advance for any information you have on that matter. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2,317 of 3,671
@bjornand Good to hear Sennheiser have been great with sorting you out. Really is surprising though that such a mistake could have happened  after all the trouble they went through to fix the issues. Looking forward to hearing how the new ones perform once they arrive!

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #2,318 of 3,671
  Hi everyone,

I have been looking for the M2 wireless for a while and am very happy to see that sennheiser seems to have solve this hardware problem with the first version and that the headphones v2 should be in stores before the end of the year. As I am waiting for the headphones to be in stock here in Switzerland, I have a few questions concerning the use of these headphones. Maybe someone could just help me, it would be much appreciated.

- If I understand well, the noise reduction cannot be switched off in wireless mode, is this correct?
- But if I have no more battery, I can wire the headphone directly to my device and still listen to the music, obviously without
any noise reduction, right?
- If the headphone is physically connected to my audio device, then I can listen to music without any (additional) compression or is there some compression algorithm always going on through the headset?
- If the battery level is ok but I still wire the headphone to my audio device, can I choose to switch the noise reduction on and off? Does it then change the compression of the audio files I listen to?

Thank you very much in advance for any information you have on that matter. 

Welcome to Head-Fi! To answer your questions:

- The noise cancelling cannot be switched off while you are connected using bluetooth.
- If the battery is dead you can connect the headphones via aux cable or USB (if on computer) and keep listening to your music.
- There is no compression if you connect the headphones using aux cable or USB.
- Yes with the aux cable (not sure about USB) you can choose to listen passively or actively. In passive mode there is no active noise cancelling. Neither of the modes have any compression however bear in mind they do sound quite different. Most people on here seem to prefer the sound when listening actively (which means powered on and with the noise cancelling on).

Let me know if yiu have any more questions!

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #2,319 of 3,671

Welcome to Head-Fi! To answer your questions:

- The noise cancelling cannot be switched off while you are connected using bluetooth.
- If the battery is dead you can connect the headphones via aux cable or USB (if on computer) and keep listening to your music.
- There is no compression if you connect the headphones using aux cable or USB.
- Yes with the aux cable (not sure about USB) you can choose to listen passively or actively. In passive mode there is no active noise cancelling. Neither of the modes have any compression however bear in mind they do sound quite different. Most people on here seem to prefer the sound when listening actively (which means powered on and with the noise cancelling on).

Let me know if yiu have any more questions!

Hi n00b2,

thank you very much for your clear answers. It is interesting that most people here prefer the sound when listening actively. I would have thought that the sound when listening passively, that is without noise cancelling, would have been more natural and clearly better. I actually have had the sennheiser hd25 for a long long time and always loved the quality of the sound but they are very old now. The main thing that was annoying me was the pressure on the ear after some long hearing time. I guess the over-ear momentum must be much much more confortable for long hearing session. Any idea how these two models would compete in terms of sound quality?

Additionally, would anyone have a slight idea how the noise cancelling would react to a repetitive noise like an electric discharge happening at 10 Hz repetition rate? I plan on using my M2 wireless next to a specific machine and hope it can somehow cancel this very specific and repetitive sound. 

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,320 of 3,671

thank you very much for your clear answers. It is interesting that most people here prefer the sound when listening actively. I would have thought that the sound when listening passively, that is without noise cancelling, would have been more natural and clearly better. I actually have had the sennheiser hd25 for a long long time and always loved the quality of the sound but they are very old now. The main thing that was annoying me was the pressure on the ear after some long hearing time. I guess the over-ear momentum must be much much more confortable for long hearing session. Any idea how these two models would compete in terms of sound quality?

You need to think about how it works when it is being used actively. Inside the headphones there is an internal amp and DAC which is required to power the headphones when using them with bluetooth. Active mode uses the same internal amp but without the restrictions of bluetooth. Yes ANC is there too but often that actually makes things sound better as the headphones were designed to be listened to with ANC on. If you were to connect the headphones passively to a high quality external amp then there is a good chance it will sound better than active mode. However USB mode also should sound better than active with aux cable (easily does on my Symphony 1, never tried it on the Momentum) because you are listening directly to the pure digital signal straight from the internal DAC. Can be a bit fiddly to set up and work though either on pc or using OTG cable.

They are generally good at cutting out certain frequencies but not others. If that electrical discharge is at a targeted frequency it should block it quite well. I found that the Momentum was quite good at cancelling bass sounds but not really deep sub bass. Not as good at the higher end.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,321 of 3,671
Hi all

I bought these headphones back in February but sent them back as I found them cheaper on Amazon.fr, as I had only tested them indoors I wasn't aware of any bluetooth issues at the time.  Unfortunately by the time I put my new order in Sennheiser had pulled them from the shelves due to the issues.  I received my pair last Monday and they are the REV02 ones, overall I'm really happy with the build and sound quality.  But there are a few observations I want to make, and would like to know if other owners have the same thoughts

A) The ANC is not that great when compared to the QC25's which has been mentioned a lot in this thread.  I had the QC25's back in Feb to compare against the Momentums, I did some tests with ANC switched on and music off, the QC25's blocked out voices, TV noise, Music from my stereo superbly.  I remember at the time the Momentums did a good job in the same type of tests, but with the ones I have now I can clearly hear people talk in the same room as me? I also have some construction work going on outside of my office and although it seems to block out lower frequencies I can still quite clearly hear what is going on.  The ANC obviously works better with music on as outside noise becomes even more inaudible, but in general the ANC does seem quite weak.    

B) The headphones also seem to pick up a large amount of wind noise outside which surprised me.  I think someone has also mentioned previously that on trains/trams sudden movements and bumps get picked up by the headphones as well? I have used the bus a few times with these headphones sitting on the upper deck, any bumps and I can hear the ANC trying to block these types of noise/movements out.  It is hard to describe but every sudden bump or movement is accompanied by a small dull thud, I can hear it working actively to try and block out these noises if that makes sense? 

I love these headphones the looks, the build quality and the sound quality is superb but the ANC does seem to be sorely lacking.  For the price I expected the ANC performance to be much better.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,322 of 3,671
I just got my replacement pair from Sennheiser since I had connection issues with my old pair that I bought back in March. Maybe it's me but these revised headphones have much more punch than my old ones? Anyone got a new shipment from the new batch and notice a difference in power?

On another note, I dealt with Carlos and it was a absolutely great and seamless experience. Thank you Carlos!

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #2,323 of 3,671
  Hi all

I bought these headphones back in February but sent them back as I found them cheaper on Amazon.fr, as I had only tested them indoors I wasn't aware of any bluetooth issues at the time.  Unfortunately by the time I put my new order in Sennheiser had pulled them from the shelves due to the issues.  I received my pair last Monday and they are the REV02 ones, overall I'm really happy with the build and sound quality.  But there are a few observations I want to make, and would like to know if other owners have the same thoughts

A) The ANC is not that great when compared to the QC25's which has been mentioned a lot in this thread.  I had the QC25's back in Feb to compare against the Momentums, I did some tests with ANC switched on and music off, the QC25's blocked out voices, TV noise, Music from my stereo superbly.  I remember at the time the Momentums did a good job in the same type of tests, but with the ones I have now I can clearly hear people talk in the same room as me? I also have some construction work going on outside of my office and although it seems to block out lower frequencies I can still quite clearly hear what is going on.  The ANC obviously works better with music on as outside noise becomes even more inaudible, but in general the ANC does seem quite weak.    

B) The headphones also seem to pick up a large amount of wind noise outside which surprised me.  I think someone has also mentioned previously that on trains/trams sudden movements and bumps get picked up by the headphones as well? I have used the bus a few times with these headphones sitting on the upper deck, any bumps and I can hear the ANC trying to block these types of noise/movements out.  It is hard to describe but every sudden bump or movement is accompanied by a small dull thud, I can hear it working actively to try and block out these noises if that makes sense? 

I love these headphones the looks, the build quality and the sound quality is superb but the ANC does seem to be sorely lacking.  For the price I expected the ANC performance to be much better.  

I can't answer to B because I have not had this happen. But, as to A, I would disagree that the ANC is weak at all. They were made to do just what you are experiencing. If you go to their website you can read more about it and how it is set up. They made it so that you can hear voices (when the flight attendants are speaking and etc...) on purpose. They are only meant to block out certain lower frequencies, and to a smaller amount, some higher frequencies. If you read about what frequencies they are meant to block, you would probably agree that they are doing exactly what they were intended to do. They were never intended to block all sounds out, only the more common travel noises. 

On another note, I have had mine since the first week they came out, but I don't want to trade mine in yet until I hear from some who have gotten the new ones, whether the sound has changed at all. Mine DO have some cut-out problems, but only sometimes, and not frequently (it is enough to warrant and exchange), but if the sound changes (and not in a good way), I don't know that I will exchange mine. Any opinions yet?

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2,324 of 3,671
Sennheiser called me today notifying me that I could come and swap my rev01 for the new rev02 (they're a 15 min drive away for me). I will be sharing my experiences shortly.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,325 of 3,671
My Momentum Wireless came today and the box was a Rev01. I called Sennheiser US and the rep told me mine were made in the 37th week of 2015. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back